U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:37 AM

18,972 posts, read 10,032,914 times

Advertisements

No doubt that occasionally, someone purchases a home and then shortly thereafter either needs to move or decides the house doesn't suit them after all.

But realistically speaking, you need to let go of this one. The odds of it becoming available are minuscule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 AM

2,883 posts, read 1,014,551 times
The OP is the Not Yous.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
It happens. Our neighbor bought their home last year and less than a year later he was transferred for his job so the home is on the market. This is rare though! Most people don't buy and move a year or two later.

I know if someone came to my door with a substantial offer to purchase my house (and I mean WAY over market value) that I could not refuse, I would sell! Not sure if money is no object to you in this OP, but money does talk! If it was me and money was not an issue, I'd propose an offer to purchase to the current owners. Don't just mail it though as they might not think you're serious and throw the letter away! Knock on the door and let them know you're serious!

Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM

3,323 posts, read 3,259,105 times
If it's on "show" status, you can find out whether there is a contingency, and make a cash offer no contingencies.

It it's already sold, yes, you CAN approach the buyer!! We did this once. We regretted that we had not bid higher, and had lost a house that wound up going for about 3% more than we had bid. We approached the buyer, asked them if they had any regrets. They said they DID have buyer's remorse, and would consider selling to us. But.... they wanted an additional 5% (which was about 20K) on top of what they had just paid for it, plus they had just finished staining the beautiful hardwood floors a very, very dark stain, which we absolutely HATED. So we passed on it.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:30 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena222 View Post
other than put my agent on watch, perhaps you're right. Might that make someone feel stalked? Heavens, has anyone ever done this? Plus there is no street mailbox, so it would take some creative searching to find out their mailing address. Keep the tips coming!
You don't know the address of the home you wanted to buy? Mail it to the house address and worry about the PO to deliver where it's supposed to go.

Just don't be pushy with the letter. Let them know you loved the home and missed out on it and if they have second thoughts about it you are interested in it. Include an email address so they can respond quickly if they wish.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM

570 posts, read 221,565 times
I would keep looking for other homes as well. It's hard when one particular home sticks in your mind because you compare others to it. But there are lots of great homes out there and, after some time passes, you will find one that suits you just as well.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I think some of the responders have missed the critical message in my post - the house has already sold, so there's no 'coming in with another offer'. Escrow is closed. I know nothing about the buyer, or what their long term plans may be, some people move more often than others.
what's the most you'd pay above what they paid?

go knock on the door, with a proof of funds letter for 2x what they paid, and ask them what it would take to move.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:03 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

It it's already sold, yes, you CAN approach the buyer!! We did this once. We regretted that we had not bid higher, and had lost a house that wound up going for about 3% more than we had bid. We approached the buyer, asked them if they had any regrets. They said they DID have buyer's remorse, and would consider selling to us. But.... they wanted an additional 5% (which was about 20K) on top of what they had just paid for it, plus they had just finished staining the beautiful hardwood floors a very, very dark stain, which we absolutely HATED. So we passed on it.

lol - you didn't regret it that much.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:04 PM

2,956 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Default my brother in law

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I think some of the responders have missed the critical message in my post - the house has already sold, so there's no 'coming in with another offer'. Escrow is closed. I know nothing about the buyer, or what their long term plans may be, some people move more often than others.
my brother in law was in/out of two homes real fast as an impulsive buyer right after my sister died. you can only hope you're dealing with his type. I'd make friends with the new owner and find out over a welcome to the neighborhood latte what they're up to!!!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:09 PM

1,765 posts, read 866,602 times
OP, this has happened to me.

We had just purchased another home and a house I always had my eye on went on the market at a crazy price. It sat-- it was a big old Victorian that needed tons of work and it intimidated people. I had just about convinced myself to list our house and do a contingent offer when it went under contract. Five years later and it still belongs to someone else. I have moved on, but I do keep an eye on it. I figure if its meant to be, it will happen one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or