U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM

25,899 posts, read 49,860,138 times

Advertisements

Same happened to me in 2012 and not a day goes by where it isn't a passing thought and I have looked at plenty since them and local Realtors have me on speed dial or they did.. but everything I see pales by comparison... and not just price.

It was my perfect dream home that checked ALL the boxes, custom built in 2000 by a couple where money was no object on 5 acres of bliss... he was a car collector and the 3600 square foot shop was nicer than most homes.

Anyway... my non-contingent offer, except to survey paid for by me, as-is and 100k over the accepted offer earlier that morning... for 59 days I was in back up and twice the buyer was out of contract but cured each time... so twice I was told it was a go only to be disappointed again... what a roller coaster summer that was.

I contacted the buyers under contract and offered them 100k for their contract... they were not interested... he was a builder and said he couldn't build for the selling price let alone buy the lot and build the shop... the owner passed away and the widow was relocating to be near children... and this was 2012.

Stayed in touch with the buyer and he was very likable... said if anything happened his wife would sell but he was staying... the week of closing I said is there any possibility of making a deal... he said give me 300k over what he paid and he would listen... his wife loved their Alamo home and didn't want to give it up... so they had a great home/location already... the irony is they had no intention of ever moving but his Realtor friend called him and said I just found your new house... and once he saw it, he was all in.

My advice is to let it go... easier said than done... or make them an offer they can't refuse... for me coming up with 300k cash was not in the realm of possibilities...

Property tax in 2012 would have been 15k and at today's price double that.

We exchange Christmas cards and found out we have some mutual friends in the car hobby... he did say I made it hard for him because he was planning on asking for concessions and having me in back up made that impossible.

Sad... the one point in time when all the stars aligned I was not able to make the deal when I did everything under the sun to make it happen...

To your original question... I bought an investment property from a couple that had just moved in and had a job offer too good to pass up... but it meant relocating out of state... so 5 weeks in their new home not having fully unpacked and they were moving again...

Anyone that knows me knows my story... especially those that had to go through that summer with me.

I've joked that my Tombstone should have the one word property name engraved on it and anyone that truly knew me would get it...

Going on 6 years soon and my 50 vehicle collection starting with year 1905 is still homeless.... and probably will remain spread out over several states... as SF Bay Area prices for these types of properties are well beyond what mere mortals can afford.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-24-2018 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 PM

4,750 posts, read 1,183,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena222 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think some of the responders have missed the critical message in my post - the house has already sold, so there's no 'coming in with another offer'. Escrow is closed. I know nothing about the buyer, or what their long term plans may be, some people move more often than others.
Money talks. Give them an offer they can't refuse, everyone has a price.

If their price is too high then it wasn't meant to be.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,070,065 times
Find another house.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 AM

1,268 posts, read 816,519 times
First, this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Money talks. Give them an offer they can't refuse, everyone has a price.

If their price is too high then it wasn't meant to be.
Then, this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Find another house.
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2018, 01:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,987,550 times
Even though this seemed like your dream house, and seemed perfect for you, I firmly believe that there is more than one perfect house for every buyer. Does that make sense? There is another house out there that will be different, but maybe even more perfect for you in other ways.

Keep on looking, and never ever give up. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 PM

I too had believed this but almost 6 years later and with prices at least double and some areas here approaching triple.... it is hard to keep the faith.

I also joke that I hope when that next perfect property comes along I will be young enough to still enjoy it.

People can have very specific requirements honed after decades... as to location, amenities, etc... that have to fall into place or one might as well stay put.

If I liquidated my car collection I could broaden my search but I wouldn't need to find a home for the collection if I have to sell it to obtain it.

Not exaggerating for desirable parts of the SF Bay Area... a home that sold for 1.3 million in 2012 is pushing 3 million in parts of the Bay Area in 2018... a person could work a lifetime and never bridge that kind of gap not to mention the taxes...

Pulling up stakes might be viable if you can leave behind family, friends, employment, doctors, etc.

You are right... lightning could strike twice.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:47 PM

24 posts, read 9,311 times
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and sharing from experience. I've been doing my best to keep mind and heart open to another house and location in the area, now have looked about about 10 places and nothing inspires. Wish we could offer double to new owner, but unless there is a big $$ windfall coming our direction, not a possibility! I somehow keep hope alive, without consciously cultivating it.

best to everyone on their searches! And if you hear of a quick turnaround story that would inspire, do share!

athena

Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 PM

1,681 posts, read 703,391 times
Best to not get attached to a 'dream house' because you never know what's down the road. It could be a job transfer, health reasons to move, not being able to afford the upkeep or taxes, or other considerations... Like living close to grandkids, nieces, nephews, or close to parents. Life is fluid.

I completely understand falling in love with a house, especially when you have set requirements. My thought is if you found something, if you lost out on a bid (I've been there) find out the builder, see if there are similar homes built by him. If not, then research the builder and year it was built and see if you can find something similar.

I'd also look outside San Francisco and at another state. You'd be surprised what you can get for your money in Texas. I say that because CA has those multi-million dollar homes and you can so much more elsewhere. All you have to do is look. I honestly don't see why people stay in CA. It's too expensive!

Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 AM

I'm guessing employment, family and activities...

I have friends that are avid surfers and divers... there are other places but living in Santa Cruz and Monterey is their heaven...

Others are every weekend skiing...

I learned to sail and the SF Bay Area is a great place to sail and to learn how to sail.

The University system here draws from around the globe... when you think of patents... California is definitely at the top of the list...

There are few places that offer as much as the Greater SF Bay Area and there in lies the problem of demand outpacing supply...

Another attribute not often spoken about is the diversity of cultures which is a huge draw for some... and this is not new... our neighbors came here decades ago from Indiana.... they had both been divorced and were looking to start a new life... California was all that and more...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-27-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-27-2018, 08:20 AM

24 posts, read 9,311 times
Thanks Ultrarunner for underscoring what we longtime Californian's know. I grew up in the East Bay area, and my parents relocated here after WW II to buy land and build, they knew then that this is the place of spectacular Mediterranean Climate (not in Texas), outdoor living at its best, diversity, free thinking mecca and then there's the endless gorgeous produce....

athena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or