Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:56 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

While anything could happen, its doubtful that home will go back on the market for several years. I know the feeling I missed out on my dream home, I regularly drive by it and wish I would have pulled the trigger and bought it, I wound up hemming and hawing over the price. The house was incredibly unique will never find antoher like it, great layout and setup, awesome yard, great location literally right behind my favorite grocery store and breakfast spot. I keep an eye on it to see if it gets listed again and my agent knows I want it but I don't expect it to be back on the market for at least 3-5 years if ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM

25 posts, read 17,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My agent let me know a home I should look at had just come on the market and sent a link... the link was for the wrong property... so I lost a couple of days.

Once I had the right address I did a drive by and couldn't believe it was a property I had admired for some time... contacted my agent and said I am very interested... he was at a wedding... the day he returned my offer was submitted a full price non contingent except for a survey paid for by me...

That same morning the seller had just accepted a contingent offer for 100k less than the listing price!

The Broker and Seller naturally wanted my offer as it was more money and not contingent on loan approval... for 59 days I was back-up and twice got the call it was a go as the buyer was out of contract...

During the 59 days I had my agent set up a meeting with the buyer and I offered 100k to the buyer to take over the contract... we sat down and talked about it... learned the buyer was not even in the market until is Real Estate friend cold called him and said if you see this property you will buy it...

The buyer got back to me and said he would walk for $300k as his wife really didn't want to move from their home in Alamo anyway... $300k was just beyond my ability but looking back now it would have been well worth it...

The buyer is a retired contractor and quite happy where he was... but when he saw the property he said he couldn't come close to duplicated it for the money not to mention it was turn key...

I have kept in touch and even got a tour as they were tearing out the 12 year old kitchen and every stitch of carpet going all hardwood throughout....

5 acres pastoral acres with a 3600 square foot home and 3600 square foot shop it was my dream property...

It's been 6 years and nothing has come close... even looking at property many times more expensive...

There could come a day when I do get a phone call but the reality is if that comes in 10 or 15 years things will have changed.

I know the range of emotions you are feeling... wish I could say it will go away but 6 years later I still think what if.
Gee ultrarunner what a gem, and I am so sorry you have missed out on this perfect match. Perhaps your fortunes will turn on this. I know people say 'something better will come along' but frankly for us, as you , that has not happened. Being in the present about it all is our challenge, looking at one thing after another that - even after an honest appraisal, and looking fresh, doesn't make it worth a move.

I appreciate your kind response and the time you took to share this story.

athena

Old 05-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
While anything could happen, its doubtful that home will go back on the market for several years. I know the feeling I missed out on my dream home, I regularly drive by it and wish I would have pulled the trigger and bought it, I wound up hemming and hawing over the price. The house was incredibly unique will never find antoher like it, great layout and setup, awesome yard, great location literally right behind my favorite grocery store and breakfast spot. I keep an eye on it to see if it gets listed again and my agent knows I want it but I don't expect it to be back on the market for at least 3-5 years if ever
Hey doodlemagic, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I am seriously penning a letter to my agent in my mind to ask her about finding out from the selling agent if there is anything to know about the new owners intentions, and barring that, to make sure the new buyers know that if they need to relocate in the future, that if it helps knowing there is a buyer at the ready to make it all easier, that we are here. I don't know how my agent will feel about this idea or process it or if she even does this kind of thing. But I can't just let it float without some indication under the outside chance that they decide to put the house on the market, not knowing anything of our interest, and someone else swoops in again. Heavens!

athena

Old 05-01-2018, 02:21 PM

36 posts, read 43,250 times
Send a letter to the new homeowners. Circumstances change. You have nothing to lose.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellainLB View Post
Send a letter to the new homeowners. Circumstances change. You have nothing to lose.
You think? RAther than have my agent deliver one? What if they feel stalked? And I don't have a mailing address as they are a PO Box neighborhood, and it might be too creepy to put a letter on their door? you think?

Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena222 View Post
Hey doodlemagic, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I am seriously penning a letter to my agent in my mind to ask her about finding out from the selling agent if there is anything to know about the new owners intentions, and barring that, to make sure the new buyers know that if they need to relocate in the future, that if it helps knowing there is a buyer at the ready to make it all easier, that we are here. I don't know how my agent will feel about this idea or process it or if she even does this kind of thing. But I can't just let it float without some indication under the outside chance that they decide to put the house on the market, not knowing anything of our interest, and someone else swoops in again. Heavens!

athena
Yeah sounds like were both in the same boat. Not sure if anything like this exists but solely based upon this experience I had an idea for an app where basically you could create an account, plugin addresses of homes you like and be notified when they hit the market. I would definitely like to know about this house but there's also other houses I see driving around and am like wow that's a really cool house if that ever came up for sale I'd like to know about it

Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah sounds like were both in the same boat. Not sure if anything like this exists but solely based upon this experience I had an idea for an app where basically you could create an account, plugin addresses of homes you like and be notified when they hit the market. I would definitely like to know about this house but there's also other houses I see driving around and am like wow that's a really cool house if that ever came up for sale I'd like to know about it
That's a great idea. I think that a real estate agent may be able to let you know if something like this exists in your area?

I just spent a big chunk of time penning a letter to the new owners, congratulating them on their purchase and move, welcoming them to their new home, and telling them how we too had seen it as our dream home yet their offer came in ahead of ours, so we could only sit back and navigate the disappointment. I told a little bit about us, why this home was such a good find for us, and though they will probably be there for a long long time, should their plans change, to please feel invited to reach out to us.

I am making it friendly and also noting that 'this is probably an unusual letter to receive!' and I guess we risk putting people off, but frankly, what have we to lose?

Old 05-01-2018, 05:33 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Athena,
The odds of getting the property are probably long.
But, you never know until you know.

We bought our first home after seeing it sold at auction when we were not prepared to bid, at a price we easily would have paid.

And, about 5 months later, we bought it. The neighbor had bought it only to take a portion of the lot, so he could build a garage. He resold it after the survey and subdivision was official.
We got all the lot we needed, and the house my wife loved.

So, it is unlikely but certainly not unheard of for a buyer to sell quickly.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Athena,
The odds of getting the property are probably long.
But, you never know until you know.

We bought our first home after seeing it sold at auction when we were not prepared to bid, at a price we easily would have paid.

And, about 5 months later, we bought it. The neighbor had bought it only to take a portion of the lot, so he could build a garage. He resold it after the survey and subdivision was official.
We got all the lot we needed, and the house my wife loved.

So, it is unlikely but certainly not unheard of for a buyer to sell quickly.
Mike, I am so happy for the great good fortune of you and your wife! This is a wonderful story. Wins all around. Thank you for sharing.

athena

Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
You can set up an account on www.Realtor.com. Enter your criteria, you can narrow it down fairly well and there is no limit on how long you can be sent new listings for what you may be interested in. And.... you can have the same app on your phone and get the same responses. Try it, you'll like it. There are other sites that try to compete w/Realtor.com, like Zillow and so forth. But, imo and from experience you won't get accurate information from the those and sometimes you will have to sign up for return calls on the lesser sites (you don't want that). Best wishes.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate