Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Is there any way to do this without having access to the MLS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 01:57 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
does your county publish transfer dates and price? That might help a bit, but isn't going to tell the whole picture...

any closing cost assistance paid?
any rentback charges?
did it sell for cash and/or are there remarks that property couldnt qualify for financing?
did it sit on the market for months, with numerous price reductions, or change of brokerage during time while on market?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM

718 posts, read 599,394 times
Redfin shows if there were seller concessions, if it was conventional, etc... at least in my area, not sure if or why it would be different elsewhere. You can adjust the filters and go back a week, month, six months, etc...you will also seee if there were price drops.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:02 PM

90 posts, read 113,188 times
Second Redfin.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
Redfin shows if there were seller concessions, if it was conventional, etc... at least in my area, not sure if or why it would be different elsewhere. You can adjust the filters and go back a week, month, six months, etc...you will also seee if there were price drops.
redfin can be helpful, assuming they operate in the area in question.

One thing redfin (I'm assuming, as I never go to their site) wouldn't show, are agent remarks (my MLS has two sets of remarks, one that gets broadcast out to the various internet sites, and a second that are 'agent only' and only accessible from logging into the MLS)

If I was a seller preparing a listing to come onto market and discussing strategy with a listing agent, having access to these agent remarks can be extremely helpful when determining a game plan for putting a property up for sale

Old 04-27-2018, 05:01 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post

One thing redfin (I'm assuming, as I never go to their site) wouldn't show, are agent remarks (my MLS has two sets of remarks, one that gets broadcast out to the various internet sites, and a second that are 'agent only' and only accessible from logging into the MLS)

If I was a seller preparing a listing to come onto market and discussing strategy with a listing agent, having access to these agent remarks can be extremely helpful when determining a game plan for putting a property up for sale

Yup.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Of course agent remarks are not on any public MLS, as you well know and stated. On my last sale, agent remarks were nothing more than "lock box located at such location" ....."some furniture may be sold with property" , hardly advantageous in regards to strategizing a "game plan" for listing purposes. I don't recall any agent remarks on that last purchase either.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:31 AM

I had a nice message typed out but went to edit and it deleted sooo, I'll try this again.. For discussions sake, I'll copy two sets of remarks for a recent listing I came across. I spend a good bit of time in the MLS and at times see remarks that extend deeper than lockbox location or whether furniture conveys..

First set is what you see on the internet (redfin included, word for word),

Inviting Colonial highlighted by a beautiful stone veneer front, enormous front porch, two-level deck, nestled in the woods off a private drive. Many updates to include a new kitchen configuration with center island, and an updated master bath with separate vanity/dressing area. 5th legal bedroom in basement with a full bath. Henderson school district.

The remarks below are agent only in the MLS, not available on any of the sites that syndicate,

Home went under contract prior to listing activation. Listing for Comps pursoses only. Appraised for sales price of $487,500. Please call listing agent with any questions.

Now, a seller in the community with a similar home might appreciate learning that in this case, the house went under contract without even hitting the market.

Another note in the MLS that you won't find on redfin etc.. the listing agent did dual agency. Might not matter at all, or, the listing agent might have been willing to take some type of reduction on their fee as they were now (presumably) collecting both sides (the reduction to get the deal done so the listing agents buyer could secure the home with no competition from the property going Active in the MLS). It could also be that seller and buyer knew each other directly and the listing agent has had a limited role in the marketing and securing of a contract for the sale of this property).

I'm just speculating on that last paragraph of course, but it isn't unheard of when a situation like that presents itself.. My point is that having access to the MLS (over sites like redfin) can at times be worth it if contemplating establishing a sales price

Last edited by kww; 04-28-2018 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I had a nice message typed out but went to edit and it deleted sooo, I'll try this again.. For discussions sake, I'll copy two sets of remarks for a recent listing I came across. I spend a good bit of time in the MLS and at times see remarks that extend deeper than lockbox location or whether furniture conveys..

First set is what you see on the internet (redfin included, word for word),

Inviting Colonial highlighted by a beautiful stone veneer front, enormous front porch, two-level deck, nestled in the woods off a private drive. Many updates to include a new kitchen configuration with center island, and an updated master bath with separate vanity/dressing area. 5th legal bedroom in basement with a full bath. Henderson school district.

The remarks below are agent only in the MLS, not available on any of the sites that syndicate,

Home went under contract prior to listing activation. Listing for Comps pursoses only. Appraised for sales price of $487,500. Please call listing agent with any questions.

Now, a seller in the community with a similar home might appreciate learning that in this case, the house went under contract without even hitting the market.

Another note in the MLS that you won't find on redfin etc.. the listing agent did dual agency. Might not matter at all, or, the listing agent might have been willing to take some type of reduction on their fee as they were now (presumably) collecting both sides (the reduction to get the deal done so the listing agents buyer could secure the home with no competition from the property going Active in the MLS). It could also be that seller and buyer knew each other directly and the listing agent has had a limited role in the marketing and securing of a contract for the sale of this property).

I'm just speculating on that last paragraph of course, but it isn't unheard of when a situation like that presents itself.. My point is that having access to the MLS (over sites like redfin) can at times be worth it if contemplating establishing a sales price
KWW,

I appreciate your reply and you seem to be an honest and forthright person. Anything I state in my reply is not personal on any level.

Those backdoor agent remarks show me, as a customer, consumer or client, whatever C word we're labeled as, that in fact, real estate is a game. And I for one, am over the game and how it's evolved. The days of listing agents vs selling agents is coming to an end, or I'm willing it to be. I have no issue's with dual agency as the end result is a sale and purchase. The agent stands to take all the commission at what, 3.5% or 4% or there about instead of 5%-6% split?

Consumers have become more knowledgeable, technology has helped that. I for one research and do my due diligence, I'd be a fool not to.

I read and post in this section as a consumer, not an agent. We seem to take quite a bit of crap for doing so. Why? Because we are not blindly seeking guidance, are tired of "the game" and see it for what it is.

I'm not looking to take away anyone's job. I do feel the way real estate has been conducted can at times be shady, and /or lack ethics. It most definitely is behind the times and does not take in to consideration what an educated or seasoned buyer/seller can bring to the table.

The industry wants me to believe I need representation, when in fact, all I require is a sale, as a buyer or seller. Listing agents now a days use their go to "we'll market your property on X,Y and Z sites," then sit back and wait for a buyer's agent to bring them an offer. They're lazy and have over inflated egos.

I said this already in my own post, I wish there were more FSBO in my market area. I'm actually in a service industry profession, we never solicit clients, they come to us. They request a service, I give them a quote in writing and in contract form. There is non to negligible nogitiationing. Here's our price, sign and accept or shop around. There's no reading between the lines, no backdoor information they wish they had for leveraging. It's clear and concise and not a game.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:52 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
KWW,

I appreciate your reply and you seem to be an honest and forthright person. Anything I state in my reply is not personal on any level.

Those backdoor agent remarks show me, as a customer, consumer or client, whatever C word we're labeled as, that in fact, real estate is a game. And I for one, am over the game and how it's evolved. The days of listing agents vs selling agents is coming to an end, or I'm willing it to be. I have no issue's with dual agency as the end result is a sale and purchase. The agent stands to take all the commission at what, 3.5% or 4% or there about instead of 5%-6% split?

Consumers have become more knowledgeable, technology has helped that. I for one research and do my due diligence, I'd be a fool not to.

I read and post in this section as a consumer, not an agent. We seem to take quite a bit of crap for doing so. Why? Because we are not blindly seeking guidance, are tired of "the game" and see it for what it is.

I'm not looking to take away anyone's job. I do feel the way real estate has been conducted can at times be shady, and /or lack ethics. It most definitely is behind the times and does not take in to consideration what an educated or seasoned buyer/seller can bring to the table.

The industry wants me to believe I need representation, when in fact, all I require is a sale, as a buyer or seller. Listing agents now a days use their go to "we'll market your property on X,Y and Z sites," then sit back and wait for a buyer's agent to bring them an offer. They're lazy and have over inflated egos.

I said this already in my own post, I wish there were more FSBO in my market area. I'm actually in a service industry profession, we never solicit clients, they come to us. They request a service, I give them a quote in writing and in contract form. There is non to negligible nogitiationing. Here's our price, sign and accept or shop around. There's no reading between the lines, no backdoor information they wish they had for leveraging. It's clear and concise and not a game.
"Back Door Agent Remarks?"
Never forget: MLSs are owned by private enterprise, not a public utility.
You misunderstand. There is no "Back Door" thing. That is over-dramatizing. "Agent Only Remarks" are for members of that private enterprise to share with clientele as needed. They often include contact information, personal information for sellers or agents.
Rules "At least where I am," prohibit me from putting my contact information in public areas that other agents may feed to their clients.
Every now and then, there is disclosure of a pertinent fact that a buyer and their agent need to know for the transaction. My clients receive that, and listing agents disclose any material information to buyers who come to them without an agent.
Very often, Agent Remarks contain additional, or duplicate marketing, blather that may not fit into the limited character field of the public remarks.

I don't like to see consumers who come here harangued. Now, relentless Trolls/Bots/Pathological Liars who will toy with you merely to get digs in on agents? We get plenty, and I have absolutely no sympathy, empathy, or concern for them.
But, if you come here to contribute, learn, share, help, etc, you shouldn't be harangued.
That doesn't mean that I believe contributing agents must scrape and bow to misguided "wisdom," either. It is a discussion forum.

Commission?
Almost no one anywhere pays 6% without choosing to do so. It is a choice. The choice mystifies me, and particularly in my local sellers' market where the most common (90% of listings) buyer's agent commission is 2.4%. 6% listing agents are taking 3.6% for selling a house in hours.
But I respect consumer's right to make choices from among existing alternatives.
Much commission conversation here comes from consumers who want to decide unilaterally what another party will accept as compensation, without the other party having a voice. I don't accept that posture.

"Game" has many connotations, and the choice of connotation colors the conversation.
Games have rules. Games have predictable outcomes for various actions.
Rules and predictable outcomes are not really bad things, are they?
Cheating at a game is generally a bad thing, but that is implicit in any game with rules, I believe. That includes cheating at real estate brokerage.

As an agent, I truly couldn't care less (C'mon, give me a little love for proper use of that phrase. ) if you do FSBO, use an agent to buy or don't; have representation or don't etc.
I also reserve the right to engage or not. As you have choices in commission, I have a choice of whether to play your game. As it should be, right?
How many homes have you purchased in dual agency situations? I dislike working in dual agency, and it is a disservice to most consumers, IMO.
35 years ago, Buyers agents did not exist. Everyone worked for the sellers. It stunk.

Solicitation?
Personally, I am in a service profession, too. I advertise, but never solicit. Referrals from happy customers are the lifeblood of any successful real estate broker.
But, when it comes to pricing real estate, who would you designate to price a property so that negotiation was removed from the transaction?

We see "Game" friction when people and entities want to take what MLSs have for free, rather than to actually invest in building something themselves.
Why don't people who decry current rules make investment in their own solution with their own framework of engagement?
I think it is presumed to be easier and cheaper to steal what someone else has built.
Credit to Redfin for investing in a proper platform.
ZTR? Not so much.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-28-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate