U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 PM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Back now and have some new and improved ideas to work with.

Lee County has the toughest roofing regulations in the nation. I tried to get a permit and was denied. Their code enforcers have very unfortunate reputations and I have lost my interest in retiring down there with Lee County playing a principal role in that shift. While I do often live down there, I have never felt the need to be able to prove it.

The roof is well over 2000 square feet. It is not a repair, it is a reroof. Yes....it could theoretically be finished in four days. But we all know that things always take longer than anticipated. I'll be 60 pretty soon and don't jump around like I used to.

My utterly brilliant property manager drew up the paperwork that offered free rent for 8 months! I specified 6 but she always seems to go to work for the client. This afternoon she was informed that I wish to sell my couple rentals and get out of that county. She thinks she has excellent judgment, I have found it to be catastrophic. For example, she has gained so much weight that she can't get off the floor without help. Ladder work is out of the question. Without a contractor network, there ceases to be many reasons to work with almost disabled amateurs.

Gathering bids this week. Bids are very high partly because this is hurricane country, mostly because Lee County has the toughest roofing regulations in the nation. Plus the inspectors have reputations similar to Guido the Mafioso hitman.

Don't want to say too much at once. I'll stay on top of this.
I'm in Lee county. The only good thing is prices have gone up a lot recently, so if you sell you should do well. I bought a starter home in North Fort Myers 2 years ago and it should be worth double what I paid in a few years, now mobile homes on private land or deeded lots (not lot rent) are going for $20k more than I bought my house for.

You can tell your tenant to leave, the free rent was in exchange for the work done, if they can't do the work the deal is off. Just the threat of him having an eviction on his record should be enough to get him out.

Do they requite that you get a contractor plus a roofer or can you just get the roofer to do the work. If you want I can recommend the roofing company. Their prices were good, I found out by mistake when I called to get info a discount wind mitigation report and she told me the outstanding balance, but that may be because they gave the contractor a good rate. Plus the contract was signed a week before Irma and then I had to wait like 6 months when it's normally done in 90 days.

I got a homeowner grant which is forgiven after 10 years, and had my windows replaced, and roof done, and plumbing fixed. It was a county job supervised by a contractor and the inspectors were the laziest humans I have ever seen. One was supposed to come in and check the hard wired smoke detectors, but he just drove up and sat in my driveway a few minutes, I was waiting for him so I opened the door he got spooked and left, and marked the work completed. Same with the window/shutter inspector. Didn't even walk around the house, I always get alerted by my dogs. he just got out looked from his car and I saw him getting back in the car and he gave me the thumbs up. Same with the roof inspector, didn't even check the back where I have a flat area. I think these are cushy ones handed to the older guys that put their time in and don't want to do actual work.

If you need a good listing agent the guy who sold me my home is really smart about real estate and a hard worker.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 04-24-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 01:05 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,437,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I'm in Lee county. The only good thing is prices have gone up a lot recently, so if you sell you should do well. I bought a starter home in North Fort Myers 2 years ago and it should be worth double what I paid in a few years, now mobile homes on private land or deeded lots (not lot rent) are going for $20k more than I bought my house for.

You can tell your tenant to leave, the free rent was in exchange for the work done, if they can't do the work the deal is off. Just the threat of him having an eviction on his record should be enough to get him out.

Do they requite that you get a contractor plus a roofer or can you just get the roofer to do the work. If you want I can recommend the roofing company. Their prices were good, I found out by mistake when I called to get info a discount wind mitigation report and she told me the outstanding balance, but that may be because they gave the contractor a good rate. Plus the contract was signed a week before Irma and then I had to wait like 6 months when it's normally done in 90 days.

I got a homeowner grant which is forgiven after 10 years, and had my windows replaced, and roof done, and plumbing fixed. It was a county job supervised by a contractor and the inspectors were the laziest humans I have ever seen. One was supposed to come in and check the hard wired smoke detectors, but he just drove up and sat in my driveway a few minutes, I was waiting for him so I opened the door he got spooked and left, and marked the work completed. Same with the window/shutter inspector. Didn't even walk around the house, I always get alerted by my dogs. he just got out looked from his car and I saw him getting back in the car and he gave me the thumbs up. Same with the roof inspector, didn't even check the back where I have a flat area. I think these are cushy ones handed to the older guys that put their time in and don't want to do actual work.

If you need a good listing agent the guy who sold me my home is really smart about real estate and a hard worker.

Thanks, yes...still looking for a reasonable bid. Prices jumped after the hurricane but should have normalized by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or