Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:26 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there is anything wrong with this in a legal sense. Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
You mean the contracts?

Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM

Contract forms, disclosures, that sort of thing.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:44 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just wondering if there is anything wrong with this in a legal sense. Does anyone know?
The forms are usually copyrighted - my MLS used to (not sure if they still do) sell the local “standard” forms for a nominal fee. In my area, the “standard” purchase agreement gets revised pretty frequently based on local disputes & case law. It’s probably safer to use the local standard form than to have an attorney draft your own (or use a generic form) because there are so many disputes that factor into the language.

I’ve never heard of any private party getting sued for copyright infringement for using a local form, the MLS isn’t a party to the contract & wouldn’t have any way of knowing that you did, but considering the $$ involved in the transaction, I’d personally try to buy a copy if I could, if nothing else just because the standard form is what buyers and sellers in your area are used to.

Lots of little “gotchas” in local contracts that aren’t always intuitive or “common sense” - I noticed one in my parent’s area that the default contract there gives away any propane or fuel oil in the tank to the buyer at $0 - that could be a several thousand dollar gift depending on fuel prices & tank sizes. I guess buyers there expect some free fuel & things like that could be a deal-kinker a day or two before closing, when people actually bother to read the docs.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Contract forms, disclosures, that sort of thing.
Disclosures tend to be NC State forms, mandated by the NC Real Estate Commission.
Lead-Based Paint disclosure is a Federal requirement and readily available.

Offer to Purchase and Contract, and various addenda are copyrighted by NCAR, but if the FSBO is on MLS, the listing agent may be allowed to provide them to a "customer."
Some attorneys provide them to clients, expecting the client to use them to vet the contract.

So, it may be completely legitimate use. It may be less legit, too, if they just scraped old docs off line that someone posted.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Nope. My last two FSBOs I bought the forms packet for something like $100 extra on the flat fee MLS package.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Disclosures tend to be NC State forms, mandated by the NC Real Estate Commission.

Offer to Purchase and Contract, and various addenda are copyrighted by NCAR, but if the FSBO is on MLS, the listing agent may be allowed to provide them to a "customer."
Some attorneys provide them to clients, expecting the client to use them to vet the contract.

So, it may be completely legitimate use. It may be less legit, too, if they just scraped old docs off line that someone posted.
Thanks for this. I underlined the one statement I did not understand. Do you mean to compare to someone else's contract?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Thanks for this. I underlined the one statement I did not understand. Do you mean to compare to someone else's contract?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:59 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Many FSBO's engage an attorney ahead of time, to be on board to review the Offers received.
There is agreement between the Bar Association and NCAR that members of the bar may use the standard forms.
So, some attorneys share the documents with clients as part of their service.
I have had sellers present forms to me that they received from their attorney.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:27 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Nope. My last two FSBOs I bought the forms packet for something like $100 extra on the flat fee MLS package.
A flat fee MLS package means you signed a listing contract. Technically not a FSBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate