Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fiancé and I purchased a foreclosure that will be our home. Closing was in January. We haven't moved in yet because the home needs work to get a C.O.

We paid $100,00 for the home, which was listed for $96,000 (we had already lost a bid for another home and were in love with this one so offered HUD above asking price even though no one else was making an offer that we knew of) The home currently has a small hole in the foundation and a bathroom with no drywall and old fixtures which we have already ripped out. The roof is doable for now but will need to replaced soon. The rest of the home is in good shape. HUD made us take a 203K loan to make sure we can make the needed repairs They gave us $20,000 for repairs.

I just got a tax assessment in the mail that has it assessed at $172,000. It says land $58,000, building $114,000.

My question is, is it normal for a home to be assessed at that much more than it was valued at by the appraiser, and that high above the sales price? This is a pretty high tax township so I don't want to pay more starting out than we are supposed to. I am concerned when it goes up even more in value when we fix it up (my fiancé and his buddies are all in various contracting trades and it's going to be awesome when it's done) that if it's already appraised higher than it should be than it will really skyrocket then.

This is my first home and I don't want to go in and ask for a reappraisal without knowing whether it's appropriate. Is it normal for the assessment to be so high in relationship to the mortgage company and HUD appraisals, especially considering the current condition of the "building".

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Relationship between tax assessment and home cost/value (appraisal)?
Nope. They run in the same circles but aren't related.

Quote:
Hello, my fiancé and I purchased a foreclosure...
We paid $100,00 for the home, which was listed for $96,000
I just got a tax assessment in the mail that has it assessed at $172,000.
Instant equity. Sounds like you've done well.
Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask THEM how they came up with their numbers.

Quote:
My question is, is it normal ...
In this instance... it likely reflects the distressed sale circumstances.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Ask for a reappraisal. Unlike the assessment done when you bought, the appraisal is done without actually coming into your house.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Most states have ways to dispute appraised value. You need to bring your closing documents and appraisal that was done if you financed it. Normally they will lower the taxable value appraisal.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
And just so it's not missed, you should be able to have that taxed value set to your purchase price. Georgia makes it easy, one form and supporting reason/documents (sales contract is enough here) and submit. You can do it outside the sale too, but at purchase time you have the strongest evidence.

My own home, a foreclosure as well, was bought for 3 times less than where the county had it appraised, and taxed. Prior home wasn't Quite so bad, but I still managed to get ~$60k knocked off the county appraised value.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:18 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Since it was a foreclosure you paid BELOW market value for the home. The assessment is based somewhat on market value. It's probably right but you can contact your assessor's office and have them look into lowering it.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If you don't even have a CO, you should be able to contact them and tell them the house isn't livable because there is no CO, and look, I just paid this amount in order to update it so I can get a CO. Walk in their office, it's easier to do that in person.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:01 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
My oldest son was in the same situation a few years ago, bought low and the new tax assessment was way higher than purchase. He appealed immediately and it was dropped down to the purchase price plus the 203K repairs.

Just for reference, he paid $108K plus $17K in 203K repairs for a new assessment of $125K. The previous owner had defaulted on a $298K loan for it. Of course that was during the crazy times of 2006.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Thanks everyone! If I question is, does that ever backfire and have your taxes raised, or do they punish you in some fashion for asking about it? We were warned not to ask the township too often about the status of our permits, or they'll put you at the bottom again! We closed in mid-January and are still waiting to get the house energized so we can start work.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Hello, my fiancé and I purchased a foreclosure that will be our home. Closing was in January. We haven't moved in yet because the home needs work to get a C.O.

We paid $100,00 for the home, which was listed for $96,000 (we had already lost a bid for another home and were in love with this one so offered HUD above asking price even though no one else was making an offer that we knew of) The home currently has a small hole in the foundation and a bathroom with no drywall and old fixtures which we have already ripped out. The roof is doable for now but will need to replaced soon. The rest of the home is in good shape. HUD made us take a 203K loan to make sure we can make the needed repairs They gave us $20,000 for repairs.

I just got a tax assessment in the mail that has it assessed at $172,000. It says land $58,000, building $114,000.

My question is, is it normal for a home to be assessed at that much more than it was valued at by the appraiser, and that high above the sales price? This is a pretty high tax township so I don't want to pay more starting out than we are supposed to. I am concerned when it goes up even more in value when we fix it up (my fiancé and his buddies are all in various contracting trades and it's going to be awesome when it's done) that if it's already appraised higher than it should be than it will really skyrocket then.

This is my first home and I don't want to go in and ask for a reappraisal without knowing whether it's appropriate. Is it normal for the assessment to be so high in relationship to the mortgage company and HUD appraisals, especially considering the current condition of the "building".

Thanks!
Depending on your state, yup it's perfectly normal. In many areas, the assessment has absolutely nothing to do with the true value of the home. It's just the town/city/county's way of spreading out the amount of money they want to collect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate