U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 10,711 times

Advertisements

We have a house +acreage and when we chose our realtor, we all agreed that the commission would be 4%. We have a potential buyer, and their agent is stating that she is a "higher end" agent and accepts no less than 3%. I feel like if you're showing our property to your buyers and the notes states 2%/2%, that is what you are going into it knowing. If she's wanting more commission, than should we include that 1% in our counter? I feel like if the buyers want her as an agent, then they need to pay her extra 1% in the sale of the house/property.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 04:24 PM

167 posts, read 72,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_lou View Post
We have a house +acreage and when we chose our realtor, we all agreed that the commission would be 4%. We have a potential buyer, and their agent is stating that she is a "higher end" agent and accepts no less than 3%. I feel like if you're showing our property to your buyers and the notes states 2%/2%, that is what you are going into it knowing. If she's wanting more commission, than should we include that 1% in our counter? I feel like if the buyers want her as an agent, then they need to pay her extra 1% in the sale of the house/property.

Thoughts?
Laugh. And decline the offer in writing to both the agent and buyer. Let those buyers know she cost them the house.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:29 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
"Net Proceeds." Focus on what your bottom line will be after commission.
Pay 3% or 10%, if they can deliver the bottom line you want.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I’m sorry, but no. Emphatically no.

A buyer’s agent purpose is to deliver the best deal possible for their client. This is not the case here.

I’d be on the phone to brokers and REA’s, posting reviews and comments on every available portal.

She knew walking in, there’s zero excuse.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Senor View Post
I’m sorry, but no. Emphatically no.

A buyer’s agent purpose is to deliver the best deal possible for their client. This is not the case here.

I’d be on the phone to brokers and REA’s, posting reviews and comments on every available portal.

She knew walking in, there’s zero excuse.
The OP is a seller.
Once she knows the agent is representing a buyer, that is about all she needs to know.

Why would she care what the buyer's agent gets as long as she nets what she wants from the sale?

People get too easily lost in tangents and lose focus on what matters.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:04 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,721,467 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
If the agent doesn't have a contract with the buyers - she is out of luck as they are in no obligation to pay her anything. If they tell you she has a contract - ask to see it if they expect you to pony up more $$. Personally I would tell her to go pound sand. This is the game buyers agents play and really the buyer should be paying any buyers agent fees IMHO. The seller (you) want to net as much as possible I am assuming so don't fall into the trap of settling for less due to an agents greed.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM

This is not good advice for the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If the agent doesn't have a contract with the buyers - she is out of luck as they are in no obligation to pay her anything. If they tell you she has a contract - ask to see it if they expect you to pony up more $$. Personally I would tell her to go pound sand. This is the game buyers agents play and really the buyer should be paying any buyers agent fees IMHO. The seller (you) want to net as much as possible I am assuming so don't fall into the trap of settling for less due to an agents greed.
This is good advice for the OP:

Quote:

Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,721,467 times
my advice is fine. the seller doesn't have to make every offer work to accommodate a greedy agent. the seller wants to net the most possible which is why they asked the question. additional agent compensation should not come into play.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
my advice is fine. the seller doesn't have to make every offer work to accommodate a greedy agent. the seller wants to net the most possible which is why they asked the question. additional agent compensation should not come into play.

Additional agent compensation does not have to be a seller cost.
Why would you cut your net to let an agent have a bigger cut?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The OP is a seller.
Once she knows the agent is representing a buyer, that is about all she needs to know.

Why would she care what the buyer's agent gets as long as she nets what she wants from the sale?

People get too easily lost in tangents and lose focus on what matters.
The agent is asking for money from the seller, on behalf of the buyer.

There’s a time to look at the bottom line, and there’s a time to look at the big picture. This is not a tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or