Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 PM

331 posts, read 207,709 times

Advertisements

There is a home my partner and I like. It’s in the low 300s. We planned to offer 5-6% less than listed and they pay closing. We are in no rush and would have to upgrade to the tune of 20k to get what we like. Last home in the area sold for high 200s and everything else valued higher has more bathrooms and bedrooms. Based on what the sellers paid, I think they may lose 5-10k after all is said and done.

It’s been on the market 90 days and has been reduced. We are not putting any money down. The owners seem very emotionally invested. It’s not a sellers market. Not sure what the house is worth. Would my offer be low ball? What would be a reasonable price to pay if the house is worth more than asking?

We already have financing, so theoretically if the house passes inspection and is worth the price, we should have no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Have an agent run comps so you can see what similar homes are selling for. If its overpriced, you may still be overpaying. If its priced below mkt, then you are lowballing.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM

I do think it will appraise for more than asking, but no one is buying and seller is anxious to sell. The last house on the block that sold was high 200s. We are getting comps pulled.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 PM

167 posts, read 168,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
There is a home my partner and I like. It’s in the low 300s. We planned to offer 5-6% less than listed and they pay closing. We are in no rush and would have to upgrade to the tune of 20k to get what we like. Last home in the area sold for high 200s and everything else valued higher has more bathrooms and bedrooms. Based on what the sellers paid, I think they may lose 5-10k after all is said and done.

It’s been on the market 90 days and has been reduced. We are not putting any money down. The owners seem very emotionally invested. It’s not a sellers market. Not sure what the house is worth. Would my offer be low ball? What would be a reasonable price to pay if the house is worth more than asking?

We already have financing, so theoretically if the house passes inspection and is worth the price, we should have no issues.
Bolded doesn't line up. Did you mean less than?

As for the rest of this:

1. It's pretty obvious they're likely overpriced. What's the average DOM there?

2. Identical BR/BA comps are what?

Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Some buyers need to make a few of these lowball offers before they find the house they are actually willing to pay market price for. Do it if you need to, it will be a good learning experience.

Asking for a reduction AND for seller to pay closing costs? You probably wouldn't get that here... not at 90 days. Most sellers who are hoping for a too-high price (if it is) haven't given up that early.

They may counter it, they may ignore it. They may take it. It just depends on their circumstance, and many other variables we can't see from here. Hard for us to predict.

Good luck to you though!

Old 05-01-2018, 02:35 PM

You’re right, the question doesn’t make sense. Since even if it does appraise for more than list, we don’t want to pay what’s listed.

Not sure what the average is, since the properties priced well probably sell. Some of the properties online have been there years. Last house on the block with same bedrooms and bath sold for 292, it looked older and not as well kept though. Other houses listed within a few miles are larger and have more bedrooms and bathrooms. This property doesn’t have central air, and the home that sold for 292 does, but is about 200 sq smaller. We saw it about a month ago and when we brought up price, seller want to tour with us and make the case for value, we declined.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Some buyers need to make a few of these lowball offers before they find the house they are actually willing to pay market price for. Do it if you need to, it will be a good learning experience.

Asking for a reduction AND for seller to pay closing costs? You probably wouldn't get that here... not at 90 days. Most sellers who are hoping for a too-high price (if it is) haven't given up that early.

They may counter it, they may ignore it. They may take it. It just depends on their circumstance, and many other variables we can't see from here. Hard for us to predict.

Good luck to you though!
My sister in law bought a home in Washington, close to Seattle, that sold for 33% more 22 months later. I am not located it that kind of area. Is closing and 5-6% less than asking lowball? If it’s a a buyer’s market?

Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 PM

167 posts, read 168,274 times
Quote:
My sister in law bought a home in Washington, close to Seattle, that sold for 33% more 22 months later. I am not located it that kind of area. Is closing and 5-6% less than asking lowball? If it’s a a buyer’s market?
That may not be a total lowball, but it could be an extreme lowball offer... every market is different.

Assuming closing costs of around 7K, you could be asking for 7-8% off list. Might not be totally insane.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
"Lowball" is fairly subjective term. It is a low offer compared to the list price… Whether it's a fairoffer depends on many things! :-)

Old 05-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
"Lowball" is fairly subjective term. It is a low offer compared to the list price… Whether it's an attractive offer... or a fair offer depends on many things! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate