U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 3,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah itís all relative to the sale price.
That makes no sense since no sale price was mentioned up to this point; but I'd be interested to hear that theory. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 3,726 times
There are 1 % options out there, not sure about your area though. I'd look around and not accept anything above 5. Still 5 is crazy. RE agents have gotten out of control in this country. Sell it yourself and have an attorney do the closing. Then you're looking at less than 1 point.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:20 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was in on a $33000 sale last year.
7% doesn't sound out of line for that one...
Quote:
Yeah itís all relative to the sale price.
Uh.......

I dunno but Dis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The levee breaks View Post
That makes no sense since no sale price was mentioned up to this point; but I'd be interested to hear that theory. lol

Old 05-03-2018, 01:34 PM

16,485 posts, read 17,513,441 times
Quote:

Some agents see their time as worth a lot. Some are willing to do it for less. Some sellers only want to pay 4% some donít want to pay anything and they diy.

Why does a agent in Europe charge 1% but here itís a ďstandardĒ 6%?

Old 05-03-2018, 01:38 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
I'm struggling with the OP since on one hand it mentions things a listing agent does, and then it talks about buyers.

could be the common misconception that the listing agent "does it all" (handles both sides). could be the common misconception that the listing agent gets all of that 7%, and the buyers agent gets paid otherwise.

the first happens < 10% of the time, would be my educated guess. The 2nd happens less than 1 out of 400 of the times a house trades hands.

87% of the time a home trades hands, a real estate agent is involved. So, there will be something above 1% involved in almost all of those cases.

If memory serves, the OP has some OH background, so perhaps they live where the other poster mentioned it is consistently 7%

Old 05-03-2018, 01:48 PM

16,485 posts, read 17,513,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Uh.......

I dunno but Dis:

So someone has a 2 million dollar house for sale you’re gonna demand 7% on that or take the offered 5%. Because someone behind you will take the 5%

I have turned down jobs because it wasn’t worth my time to go do it. But someone did it. It just wasn’t me. Didn’t bother me one bit. If you really really want me to do it here is my price.

It’s expected. It’s like zip code overcharging. Whenever I’m asked the address to some of my rentals I can literally hear the chaching on the other end of the line. I expect people to charge more for smaller jobs. There is a reason I use the same people every time. I’ve had wildly different quotes for the same exact work I want done

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-03-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 05:23 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
A good agent will explain to you what they do for the money and how that 7% would be split among the different people involved.

Hope the person you talked to explained this or they're not worth the money they ask.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:51 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
So someone has a 2 million dollar house for sale you’re gonna demand 7% on that or take the offered 5%. Because someone behind you will take the 5%

I have turned down jobs because it wasn’t worth my time to go do it. But someone did it. It just wasn’t me. Didn’t bother me one bit. If you really really want me to do it here is my price.

It’s expected. It’s like zip code overcharging. Whenever I’m asked the address to some of my rentals I can literally hear the chaching on the other end of the line. I expect people to charge more for smaller jobs. There is a reason I use the same people every time. I’ve had wildly different quotes for the same exact work I want done
This is the poster/post you should have addressed, because that is the poster I quoted after they misread the thread and posted this in response to you:

Quote:
Obviously, we were discussing price, and he missed it.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,515,337 times
Just wait long enough, these people are being replaced by apps daily.

I had a friend go to real estate school in less than a 6 months and for less than 5,000$.
The gall that someone here compared themselves to a Medical Doctor.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I had a friend go to real estate school in less than a 6 months and for less than 5,000$.
The gall that someone here compared themselves to a Medical Doctor.
Please share that link, don't think I've ever seen an Agent make that comparison. Probably has somewhere but not in my world.

I have helped about a dozen attorneys and doctors buy a home. I seem to know more about the process then they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or