U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,144,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Am i reading correctly? Did a licensed realtor posting in his professional capacity as a licensed real estate agent really just use the term "ghetto" as slang for an undesirable area?

I sure hope that you've dropped everything else in your life, after pointing out this horrible post, and contacted the appropriate authorities. You've filed an official complaint, and put your real name to it. For sure!

Please, do confirm for us all that you have done this in selfless fashion in order to save all consumers going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 01:40 AM

1,528 posts, read 729,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I sure hope that you've dropped everything else in your life, after pointing out this horrible post, and contacted the appropriate authorities. You've filed an official complaint, and put your real name to it. For sure!

Please, do confirm for us all that you have done this in selfless fashion in order to save all consumers going forward.
In the year 2018, a consumer should not have to point out to a REAL ESTATE AGENT that they should not be using racial language like 'ghetto' to describe neighborhoods. Very, very unwise and shocking.

I'm not sure if you're defending the use of this language or just attacking me but be careful as this can reflect on your character too. All decent agents should be as appalled as I am and should take a stand against the use of this kind of language in a professional real estate context. It has absolutely no place in RE and the 'casual' use of this language by a real estate professional in 2018 is very disturbing. I'm not sure why you are choosing to attack me.

I think consumers want agents who have good judgment and if they put themselves at risk like this, how can clients have confidence that they will conduct their affairs with intelligence and diligence?

Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 AM

421 posts, read 242,741 times
Such an interesting read for an outsider like me. 6%!!! Wow. This is one area I’m glad we haven’t followed the US system. I’ve only sold 4 properties but have never paid more than 2.5%. 6 months ago I sold our home at 2% and handing over 40k for putting some photos online and conducting one open house sure felt rough.

Buyers agents are emerging here, but that is a fee for service arrangement between a buyer and their agent and has no impact on the seller.

There are new entrants coming into the market with fixed price offers that come in well below the standard 2-3% agent comm. However the traditional agents can and do make an extremely good living at 2.5%.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:38 AM

31,648 posts, read 55,401,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Such an interesting read for an outsider like me. 6%!!! Wow. This is one area Iím glad we havenít followed the US system. Iíve only sold 4 properties but have never paid more than 2.5%. 6 months ago I sold our home at 2% and handing over 40k for putting some photos online and conducting one open house sure felt rough.

Buyers agents are emerging here, but that is a fee for service arrangement between a buyer and their agent and has no impact on the seller.

There are new entrants coming into the market with fixed price offers that come in well below the standard 2-3% agent comm. However the traditional agents can and do make an extremely good living at 2.5%.
People very often choose to pay 6%, over various other available models.
But, don't believe that a 6% commission is a standard fee.
In reality, typical mean and median commissions have been much lower for years in most markets due to competition and those other available models.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 AM

1,528 posts, read 729,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Such an interesting read for an outsider like me. 6%!!! Wow. This is one area Iím glad we havenít followed the US system. Iíve only sold 4 properties but have never paid more than 2.5%. 6 months ago I sold our home at 2% and handing over 40k for putting some photos online and conducting one open house sure felt rough.

In the UK itís generally around 1% for a traditional full service agent...and trending downward pretty hard.

No buyers agent system where most buyers in the market are owned by buyers agents and sellers must pay them a ransom to sell their home after already paying too much for their listing agent to sell their home. Very bad system for consumers.

If buyers want an agent, they should pay themselves for the services they want. This will drive lower costs and better service.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM

595 posts, read 378,067 times
Real estate commissions worldwide.

https://tranio.com/articles/real_est...ous_countries/

https://www.mortgagecalculator.biz/c/commissions.php

https://www.inman.com/2016/11/07/com...n-high-in-u-s/

Just call me the "linker."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or