Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:59 AM

10 posts, read 15,832 times

Advertisements

my question is , what does a real estate agent do to ask 7% commission on the sale of your home?
yes they list it on a web site, but I feel that you either like a house or you don't ,the house is in a good school system or it isn't , you like the neighborhood or you don't .

how does this add up to 7%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,067 posts, read 76,604,643 times
Have you been quoted a 7% commission by a listing agent?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM

10,907 posts, read 21,866,487 times
You should ask the agent what they'll do for the 7%. We can't tell you what the agent in question will be doing.

That being said, part of what you're paying for is knowledge /skill/resources and not entirely the the time investment into your property.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,617,561 times
How much of that will they be offering a to a buyer agent?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,245,168 times
Listing agents do more than simply put the house up on the MLS. They help sellers determine a price, help negotiate offers and inspections, etc. When I worked as an agent there was a lot of behind the scenes things I did for sellers when we had an offer. They never knew I was doing these things until I informed them of the progress as we moved to closing. If they hadn't been done, the sale would not happen. These things included following up with the buyer's agent on the financing, dealing with the title company, being a problem solver and being proactive to head off any potential problems.

As in any job, knowledge plays a role. It's like going to a doctor for an ear infection. You might see the doctor for 5-10 minutes and get a prescription. You'll get billed $100 for those 5-10 minutes. You're not paying for the time. You're paying for the expertise and other expenses the doctor has. You're paying for his office staff to schedule appointments and deal with insurance company. You're paying for the record keeping and on and on.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 AM

14,339 posts, read 11,832,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake effect bird View Post
my question is , what does a real estate agent do to ask 7% commission on the sale of your home?
yes they list it on a web site, but I feel that you either like a house or you don't ,the house is in a good school system or it isn't , you like the neighborhood or you don't .

For 7% commission I might hire a professional stager to decorate the house, a professional photographer to take pictures, a videographer to take video and do a 3D rendering... I'd buy advertising on facebook and in a few pertinent publications appropriate to the type of property, and hire a pianist to play soft music in the drawing room for all showings.

But that's what I might do. Who knows what your real estate agent will do for it!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
At that rate better be more than bad iPhone photos on a mls listing. If I’m paying 6-7% the after agreeing to sell the most I wanna do is get a phone call saying all is well and show up say sign here and get my check.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,067 posts, read 76,604,643 times
I was in on a $33000 sale last year.
7% doesn't sound out of line for that one...

Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was in on a $33000 sale last year.
7% doesn't sound out of line for that one...
Yeah it’s all relative to the sale price.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,305,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake effect bird View Post

6% is generally the standard in my area. But this is a question the seller needs to ask when interviewing agents to determine who gets the listing. Some will do more, some will do less than others.

A house on my street was recently listed. I've been keeping an eye on it because it's a direct comp to my house. The "Coming Soon" sign has been in the front yard for two weeks. Finally, I was able to view the listing yesterday. The photos are terrible. "Coming Soon" for two weeks and these are the photos that are used? Some even have the MRIS 2007 watermark on them - low resolution pictures from 11-years ago? Note to self: Don't list my home with that realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate