U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 PM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times

Advertisements

When I lived in a small NC town I was often surprised to see big, 2 story houses with single wide mobile homes right next door. I don't think they had the strict zoning regulations we have where I am now. I just assumed the people with the big house had the land for a long time and finally decided to build on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 03:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 6,207,787 times
Reminds of when I lived in Darlington, South Carolina.

There is a Mansion, a literal multi million dollar mansion that is owned by an ex MLB player.

Within I'd say a half mile, on the same street, there are ramshackle trailers and sheds that are literally falling apart.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:43 PM

446 posts, read 133,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
It's hard to imagine! I suppose you could ask him and see what he says. It's fun to guess, though. Here are some wild guesses that I came up with:

1) Maybe he doesn't care about the trailer park, himself, and plans to live there for the rest of his life so the future selling price doesn't matter to him.

2) Maybe it is within walking distance of work, and not having to ever commute again is worth whatever loss he may eventually see.

3) Maybe he is a trust fund baby and doesn't care if he loses money.

4) Maybe he owns the trailer park and thinks it would be easier to manage from nearby.

5) Or, maybe he has some sort of inside information about future changes in the community, and will end up making a bundle on that property in a few years.
...or maybe he used to live in that trailer park, and wants to show people what's possible, as in "Look at me now!"

Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,978,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
...or maybe he used to live in that trailer park, and wants to show people what's possible, as in "Look at me now!"
That's very possible!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:18 PM

4,592 posts, read 1,145,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Why do people build big new homes next to a freeway, busy highway, school, or under an airport flight pattern? It's where they can find land zoned residential that is available and that they can afford. In this case, they are the smart ones. The trailer park will soon be gone and the land prices will shoot way up for the next people building there.
Bingo, cheap land. As far as the local area, if they can afford to build their own custom house on their own land, then they can afford to take their kids to private schools.

Eventually someone will send a nice check to that trailer par owner and it's bye bye trailer parks, hello gentrification.

Matter of fact, it's not uncommon to see million dollar condos practically right ontop of crappy inner city neighborhoods/abandoned houses. Gentrification happens quickly.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 AM

1,332 posts, read 580,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Sort of how MC hammer built a 23 million dollar mansion overlooking his old neighborhood in Oakland.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 AM

13,498 posts, read 29,444,231 times
Has the city banned any new mobile homes from being put there? This has happened in the town I live in, but the older mobile homes were grandfathered in. Eventually, the older trailers burn down or get damaged beyond repair, so every year there’s fewer of them. Once the park owner gets to the point where he has mostly empty lots, he’ll likely sell the place.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:02 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,844,846 times
I see it all of the time. A young man that I know just built a nice house... right across the street from the biggest junk yard in the county. He has a wife and one kid. It doesn't bother him in the slightest that there's a junk yard 400 feet from his front door.

Some people just don't care who their neighbors are or what they do. Let me also add that the schools that his kid will be going to are some of the worst in the county.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 AM

10,271 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Reminds of when I lived in Darlington, South Carolina.

There is a Mansion, a literal multi million dollar mansion that is owned by an ex MLB player.

Within I'd say a half mile, on the same street, there are ramshackle trailers and sheds that are literally falling apart.
How is that area of SC?

I saw some cheap older MH for sale for less than $7K. The add did say you have to buy another MH home on the same lot too but doesn't list it or the price. They say some are renting for as little as $300 a month, I didn't know you could live anywhere that cheap.

But I didn't know there was anywhere where you could buy land and an older mobile home for less than $10k plus it's only about a half hour from 1-95,

Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 AM

7,598 posts, read 17,623,584 times
This very well could be a builder expected to get 500K for the home. It sat and sat on the market (how long was it for sale?) and the builder broke the #1 rule of listing too high, just because it was new and shiny. So they did price reduction one, two, three times and it's now a good deal at 375K, netting a much smaller profit. But wait! The builder is accepting contingent contracts, commonly seen as a sign of desperation with new homes.

Eventually, the land at the trailer park's highest and best use will no longer be for a trailer park. The question is will that be 3 years or 13 years? Anyone buying the home is betting on that change, sooner, than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or