U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 AM

2,812 posts, read 2,810,268 times

Advertisements

Near my neighborhood , there is a small trailer park that is very run down. There are two very nice large neighborhoods right next to this area as well. It is a stark contrast with nice neighborhoods with amenities and a trailer park 2 blocks away...
Somebody built a brand new nice house right in front of the trailer park area and put up a fence, but I still could not believe anybody would move there (it is not the safest place either), and why would somebody place that nice new house there?!!

My friend says the area is changing and all the trailers will be gone soon and moved out, but I don't know, the street and area is definitely changing, but it is still very strange that new house is so close to the trailer park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM

595 posts, read 377,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Near my neighborhood , there is a small trailer park that is very run down. There are two very nice large neighborhoods right next to this area as well. It is a stark contrast with nice neighborhoods with amenities and a trailer park 2 blocks away...
Somebody built a brand new nice house right in front of the trailer park area and put up a fence, but I still could not believe anybody would move there (it is not the safest place either), and why would somebody place that nice new house there?!!

My friend says the area is changing and all the trailers will be gone soon and moved out, but I don't know, the street and area is definitely changing, but it is still very strange that new house is so close to the trailer park?
Seems some people have some inside knowledge that this area is changing. There are already nice neighborhoods around this trailer park, which may be on it's way out, as someone has already mentioned to you. Nothing seems odd to me about it.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:27 AM

272 posts, read 90,550 times
Gentrification!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM

3,837 posts, read 2,061,340 times
Not everyone looks at things like trailer parks the same way.

For some, a neighbor like that is a deal breaker. Others aren't bothered by it... they like the good deal they got on the lot.

Hard for us to say!

Could also be a developer purchased the property, and maybe some other surrounding properties as well. Perhaps even the trailer park, to either manage as rentals, or clear out and re-build on.

Maybe there's a long term plan.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:01 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,981,328 times
It's hard to imagine! I suppose you could ask him and see what he says. It's fun to guess, though. Here are some wild guesses that I came up with:

1) Maybe he doesn't care about the trailer park, himself, and plans to live there for the rest of his life so the future selling price doesn't matter to him.

2) Maybe it is within walking distance of work, and not having to ever commute again is worth whatever loss he may eventually see.

3) Maybe he is a trust fund baby and doesn't care if he loses money.

4) Maybe he owns the trailer park and thinks it would be easier to manage from nearby.

5) Or, maybe he has some sort of inside information about future changes in the community, and will end up making a bundle on that property in a few years.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:39 PM

19,047 posts, read 10,073,270 times
I would assume your friend is most likely correct and the homeowner knows things you don't know about changes that will be coming. If you are in a city with a decent economy, gentrification of in town neighborhoods is pretty much inevitable these days.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:10 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,810,268 times
Thank you all for the replies. I found out the owner of the property is not the same owner of the trailer park. It also says contingent on the For Sale sign. I guess from what you all answered , a possibility is somebody built it believing the area around is continuing to change and the run down trailer park with cars parked in the front dirt yard will soon be gone....

Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,436 posts, read 50,666,198 times
Why do people build big new homes next to a freeway, busy highway, school, or under an airport flight pattern? It's where they can find land zoned residential that is available and that they can afford. In this case, they are the smart ones. The trailer park will soon be gone and the land prices will shoot way up for the next people building there.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post

Because if they wait for the area to get much better and the trailer park to go away the land will be too expensive to buy and build on. Maybe they know something about the trailer park that it's being sold or closed.

Maybe a developer or investment group decided to put in a new home in hopes that the other lots they own will go up in value once a new home is built.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:53 PM

4,864 posts, read 2,158,779 times
Location ? Lower taxes? Good soil or air quality? I'm going with they may like the view of the mountain,sea. Or woodlands....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or