U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:20 AM

10,274 posts, read 6,510,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uck, a new home smells to me like ripoff and problems. If you are going to get squeezed on a 20K car purchase....imagine the "fun" that can be had when buying a new 300K home. A new home can have cracking concrete for years. That is not biggie, concrete cracks. The problem is, the cracks that signal a defective implementation of the foundation, those babies show-up and you have "real" fun to deal with.
Sometimes it's better to buy an older home or even one that is 20 years old, that way you know it has settled on the foundation and there are no problems that may come up in a few years like Chinese drywall, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM

711 posts, read 397,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Sometimes it's better to buy an older home or even one that is 20 years old, that way you know it has settled on the foundation and there are no problems that may come up in a few years like Chinese drywall, etc.
Is Chinese drywall still being used in new construction?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Is Chinese drywall still being used in new construction?
No but I just mentioned it because whatever the next problem may be may not be found a few years after you buy a new house, where older homes won't have this new problem.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 PM

19,043 posts, read 10,066,076 times
Older homes can still have older problems, like asbestos and lead paint. Just because a house is older doesn't make it trouble free.

Like everything, there are pros and cons to buying new. Lots of people think the pros outweigh the cons. If you are not one of those people, then don't buy new construction. But there's no objectively correct answer here.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Older homes can still have older problems, like asbestos and lead paint. Just because a house is older doesn't make it trouble free.

Like everything, there are pros and cons to buying new. Lots of people think the pros outweigh the cons. If you are not one of those people, then don't buy new construction. But there's no objectively correct answer here.
I would love a new home one day and I would take a risk, but if a home is less than 20 years old it should not have lead or asbestos. Even older than that you shouldn't find those problems, but i'm just taking that number for instance if you want a home that is not too old nor brand new.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 PM

7,972 posts, read 6,725,053 times
Upgrade the major things like flooring, cabinets, doors, windows, toilets, counter tops, wiring, etc. Go cheap on the easy to replace things like door knobs, towel racks, light fixtures, etc. As an example, I had each room wired for a fan and a switch on the wall controlling it but I installed the fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate