U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2018, 02:33 PM
 
10,699 posts, read 3,742,867 times
Reputation: 4683

Advertisements

Just took a look at the Opendoor repurchase agreement. Somewhat of a misnomer. It is much more of an "asis" purchase agreement. Basically the buyer holds the seller free of any responsibility other than the repurchase agreement. But the only way that works is the buyer has to move in within 30 days, claim the place is unsuitable within that period and move back out within in 45 days of the close of escrow. And the buyer gets nailed for the costs of the original sale including the commissions.

I am waiting on the paperwork. Should be interesting to see what they do about tying all this stuff into the standard purchase agreement. I am inclined to suggest to the client that they decline the guarantee and go with the standard agreement. I suspect though that will not fly with open door.

The client is reasonably capable (mature financial types) and may proceed anyway. I think they may be willing to buy off the inspection and their own views of the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2018, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Texas
202 posts, read 118,161 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

That is also very interesting to know, thanks for sharing. I thought they strived for very bland, standard homes that wouldn't carry too many variables into the marketplace. Interesting to hear that most of them actually had obstacles that would make them difficult to sell.

Do you think these homes were priced well considering the work that needed to be done? Was the value still there and you just didnt like them cause you aren't interested in doing the work yourselves?
I suspect that they would like the bland, standard homes like you say. And, maybe in some markets they could get them. I just think that in the market I am buying in houses like that sell very easily, quickly so there may be less motive for a seller to try to use Open Door. That is, a huge advantage of Open Door is that you as a seller don't have to do a lot of work to get your house ready to sell and you don' t have to keep your house show ready for potentially weeks or even months depending on your market. But -- if you are in a market where a move in ready house is under contract in less than a week usually then that advantage of Open Door may not be valuable enough to give up the possibility of getting multiple offers.

On the pricing -- I thought some of the houses were reasonably priced given the work that needed to be done. And I did notice that most of those houses sold quickly. I saw a couple of houses that I felt needed much, much more work than was reflected in the price and saw that they were on the market for months.

Another odd thing about Open Door was that they in some cases did do some work to update the house but it was very hit and miss and often didn't address major issues. It was sort of a why bother kind of thing. The house needed $100k in updates and they had put in a cheap granite in the kitchen on top of ancient cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,787 posts, read 6,339,183 times
Reputation: 3118
Yeah sounds like a lot of the REOs from a number of years ago: random decisions on rehab.

Good to see that they have some priced right and theoretically a win-win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Reputation: 15430
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Just took a look at the Opendoor repurchase agreement. Somewhat of a misnomer. It is much more of an "asis" purchase agreement. Basically the buyer holds the seller free of any responsibility other than the repurchase agreement. But the only way that works is the buyer has to move in within 30 days, claim the place is unsuitable within that period and move back out within in 45 days of the close of escrow. And the buyer gets nailed for the costs of the original sale including the commissions.

I am waiting on the paperwork. Should be interesting to see what they do about tying all this stuff into the standard purchase agreement. I am inclined to suggest to the client that they decline the guarantee and go with the standard agreement. I suspect though that will not fly with open door.

The client is reasonably capable (mature financial types) and may proceed anyway. I think they may be willing to buy off the inspection and their own views of the property.
One thing that I found interesting is that when OpenDoor inspected our house 3 people came out. The inspector for OpenDoor, a roofer and an A/C tech The roofer and A/C guy were from private companies not OpenDoor. Usually it's just one person who tries to do it all.
One thing I wonder is if a rental company will grow out of all of this. If OpenDoor starts having a growing inventory of homes that aren't selling fast enough maybe they'll create an OpenDoor rental pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
Reputation: 6882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One thing that I found interesting is that when OpenDoor inspected our house 3 people came out. The inspector for OpenDoor, a roofer and an A/C tech The roofer and A/C guy were from private companies not OpenDoor. Usually it's just one person who tries to do it all.
One thing I wonder is if a rental company will grow out of all of this. If OpenDoor starts having a growing inventory of homes that aren't selling fast enough maybe they'll create an OpenDoor rental pool?
if they have enough cash.

Or, if they partner with one of the relatively-new investment funds. Difference is, they all swooped in during the recession when they could buy on the cheap, and the return on rent satisfied their investor needs.

If they're in an area where $rent > $purchase for consumers, sure it can work ... because they're not dependent on the margin from selling so quickly.

In other words ... in a market that should rise "well" over the next 10 years (it's in a recession but has good fundamentals with employment, etc) - they bought homes at a 10-20% discount. The value of homes in fundamentally solid economic markets is higher in 2018 than pre-recession.

But Opendoor is buying houses - according to them and you - at market value, and simply hoping the 6% fee you pay covers their transaction costs on both ends of the deal, and provides them a good enough return for their investors. And to my knowledge, investors in startups aren't looking for 6% on their cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
2,931 posts, read 2,391,490 times
Reputation: 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if they have enough cash.

Or, if they partner with one of the relatively-new investment funds. Difference is, they all swooped in during the recession when they could buy on the cheap, and the return on rent satisfied their investor needs.

If they're in an area where $rent > $purchase for consumers, sure it can work ... because they're not dependent on the margin from selling so quickly.

In other words ... in a market that should rise "well" over the next 10 years (it's in a recession but has good fundamentals with employment, etc) - they bought homes at a 10-20% discount. The value of homes in fundamentally solid economic markets is higher in 2018 than pre-recession.

But Opendoor is buying houses - according to them and you - at market value, and simply hoping the 6% fee you pay covers their transaction costs on both ends of the deal, and provides them a good enough return for their investors. And to my knowledge, investors in startups aren't looking for 6% on their cash.
As I understand it Opendoor finances their homes, they are getting much more than 6% ROI. Even if they went all cash 6% over a two to six month period is more than a 6% return. They do have overhead and such but they are probably banking 8% on every deal, they keep 6% and they average a 5.5% gain on their sales.

Cash in on a $250k house, assuming standard investment loan, is 25% down plus 1% finance costs, they very likely have some bulk discount deal so aren't paying that. Cash in is $62.5k down less the 6% fee ($15k) = $47.5k down plus finance charges they are cash in at about $50k. That house will resell for $263,750 (5.5% appreciation); they owe $200k on it so will see a return of $63,750 on the sale which is a gain on their initial investment of $13,750 which is a 27.5% ROI, less overhead costs, taxes, etc. of course. If they did that quarterly, about where they are right now, they probably could double their initial investment in 3-5 years, there are a lot of costs they cannot control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
Reputation: 6882
You're of course very right, if they are financing. I laid it out with cash only upthread.

The point of that post that I was trying to make is they aren't *likely* to become landlords if they are paying today's market value at a 6% fee only (what the OP laid out), because the returns aren't the same.

and since they can close in as little as 2 weeks, they're definitely wholesaling any financing they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 05:14 PM
 
10,699 posts, read 3,742,867 times
Reputation: 4683
After checking around their "as is" addendum is not binding in NV. The seller is still required to disclose known or should have known defects. That would include anything which was disclosed on the Sellers Real Property Disclosure. And if Opendoor did not get one they are likely on the hook for what should have been disclosed.
You can buy "as is" in NV but it requires a particular form with a notarized signature. An addendum will not do it. May be why Opendoor cites AZ and TX law but not NV.

I received the accepted contract from Opendoor. Standard content. No reference to the addendum.

Unfortunately the buyers got turned off by the delay in response from Opendoor and are declining. So I won't get to ride this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Reputation: 15430
Well, it's done. Had the final inspection at 0830 and as of right now just waiting for the wire transfers to clear the Fed and enter the bank.
Closing went smooooth as could be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Salem, OR
13,740 posts, read 31,556,293 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, it's done. Had the final inspection at 0830 and as of right now just waiting for the wire transfers to clear the Fed and enter the bank.
Closing went smooooth as could be...
Let us know what it sells for after they put it back on the market. I'm very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top