U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 PM
 
758 posts, read 568,476 times
Reputation: 241

Advertisements

I am considering to place container bit underground not too dep just another to submerge I wonder which excavating equipment is best and cost efficient? GOogle found following average hourly rates:

Rates (minimum of 1-day/8 hours)
305.5 Excavator $110 per hr
Track Loader 953C $135 per hour
Backhoe $95 per hr
D-6 Dozer $140 per hr
Skid Steer $100 per hr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
20,998 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Reputation: 39357
Shovel $15 and one hour of your own muscle power, free except for the beer you use to reward yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM
 
167 posts, read 72,514 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Shovel $15 and one hour of your own muscle power, free except for the beer you use to reward yourself.
I think they're talking about a 53’ shipping container. Why it would go underground is a different question... hostage storage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 AM
 
9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Reputation: 13377
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Senor View Post
I think they're talking about a 53’ shipping container. Why it would go underground is a different question... hostage storage?
container homes seem to be gaining popularity with some people

i vote for shovel, all those hostage movies make them dig their own graves anyway. might as well dig the rest of the home too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Reputation: 10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
I am considering to place container bit underground not too dep just another to submerge I wonder which excavating equipment is best and cost efficient? GOogle found following average hourly rates:

Rates (minimum of 1-day/8 hours)
305.5 Excavator $110 per hr
Track Loader 953C $135 per hour
Backhoe $95 per hr
D-6 Dozer $140 per hr
Skid Steer $100 per hr
I'd call the guys who are actually in your area and available to come when you want. The difference in price is probably not significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM
 
9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Reputation: 13377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'd call the guys who are actually in your area and available to come when you want. The difference in price is probably not significant.
if it is like any other contract work, after permit costs, and other fees, the cost comes to around 10-15% of each other. pick the company with the best reputation and consider the 10-15% a tip for a good job

sometimes spending a bit extra is worth it :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM
 
917 posts, read 402,858 times
Reputation: 2270
Renting a skid steer and doing it yourself is probably the best combination of inexpensive and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 11:12 AM
 
4,752 posts, read 1,868,004 times
Reputation: 4816
You better cosult with some people on the spot experienced in excavation. If it's A 53" container it can be quite a project.

A 305 won't cut it. Try a medium excavator like a Cat C-7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 01:19 PM
 
28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
Reputation: 18188
Good grief! This is clearly one of things that "somebody who knows who do it won't need to ask, and anybody who does need to ask really ought not do it..."

https://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/wh...a-shtf-bunker/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:12 PM
 
917 posts, read 402,858 times
Reputation: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Good grief! This is clearly one of things that "somebody who knows who do it won't need to ask, and anybody who does need to ask really ought not do it..."

https://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/wh...a-shtf-bunker/
Oh man are we sure it’s a shipping container and not just some underground water or oil storage? I wasn’t assuming it was a conex - I agree with your link, they are NOT meant to hold up to either corrosion or pressure from wet soil. Conexes are strong at the corners because of how they’re meant to stack, but not on the sheet metal.

If this is your plan, OP, don’t do it. Excavate and do a pour or grout and rebar a bunch of CMU if you must. But a shipping container is a stupid idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top