U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:03 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
I took it as the buyers of the OP's house are selling their house Friday, taking proceeds to buy OP house Wed.

If that's the case, OP is going to not only mess it up for the buyer of her house, but potentially the buyers of the other house also. Quite the conundrum..
I took it that way, too.
She is getting a fair amount of advice, and should consider it in light of her situation which is not well-defined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:07 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It doesn't sound as though backing out of your sale will fix your daughter's problem. She can't live in the house you're selling because she is under 55. Thus, although you would like to provide housing for your daughter and her children, the house you're selling isn't it.

When you are selling your house you are obviously moving someplace. Since you're not buying a new house I assume you're moving to a rental. Can your daughter live with you there, or could you rent a bigger place that your daughter and her children would share with you?

It might be good if you could help your daughter collect child support from the sperm donor.
No the new place she is moving to is 55 plus not the house.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:42 AM

5,862 posts, read 7,085,877 times
If you cancel the sale of the house, it will end up costing you money. You will be in breach of contract. The buyers can sue you. What kind of damages they will receive I don't know. It will cost you legal fees and headaches for months if not years. You'll be dealing with it from 100's of miles away.

I can't imagine being in the situation you briefly describe, but there has to be a better way. You grandson has 2 other loving grandparents. Perhaps giving them temporary custody of him is the best option for him now. Your daughter can go to a shelter with time to get her life together before the next baby arrives.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 AM

1,690 posts, read 664,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I am in the last stages of the sale of my house. The buyers are closing on their house on, Friday
and I'm suppose to close next Wednesday. It will be a cash sale. I believe the buyers will use my house as a vacation house, not a permanent residence because it's in a summer community with lots of amenities.

Meanwhile my daughter is in an emergency state. (How she got that way is another thread).

Is there anyway I could stop the sale of my house without it costing me a fortune? I would let my daughter live in that house. Right now she has no where to go, except a shelter, is pregnant, and has a 4 year old autistic son. She is thinking of giving her son to his father so he would be safe and not be in a shelter with her, but his father is an abusive drunk. So probably not the fathers parents would take the child. They are very financially stable and love their grandchild, as do I. This is devistating to her and to me.

I'm a widow, not in a good financial state, and not to well. She can't live with me because I'm in a 55 plus, and she would only be allowed to stay for 30 days. She's in NY, I'm in florida.

Any knowledge about stopping this sale?

Thanks.
Not without it costing you a lot of money in legal fees. When I bought my last home the seller tried to back out after she had accepted my offer. Her agent told her that if she did this, not only would he sue her so would the buyers agent and quite possibly the buyer would as well. I never even knew this was going on at the time until my agent told me about it later.

Unless the buyer is in a position where he can permit you to back out, and it doesnít sound like,he/she is, youíre going to closing.

As bad as this sounds, your daughters situation is not yours to deal with. Help her if you can, but not by trying to back out of the sale of your home.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
I agree with all of this. You're way far into the selling process to back out without being sued by the buyer (who would probably win). You need to go through with the sale and take a part of those proceeds to help her rent a place. DO NOT let her give her son to the father if he's an abusive drunk! Don't assume that his parents will actually be caring for him! She needs to take the baby daddy to court if he's not getting child support and get a job ASAP.

I understand you want to help your daughter, but you could be on the hook for A LOT of money if you don't go through the sale!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
OP, take a close look at your CC&R's for your new 55+ home. Most that I've read (we just bought in a 55+ area) simply state that ONE person must be 55+ and others only have to be over 18 to stay permanently. Children below 18 can visit and stay for a specific length of time per year.

This would give your daughter a few months to get her stuff together and for both of you to find her resources she needs without costing you lots of $$$$ and your sanity...

Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 AM

318 posts, read 188,403 times
Thanks for all your replies. Iím sorry my post wasnít clear. I do feel terrible to do that to the buyers. Thatís all Iím doing is feeling terrible.

The father of the unborn baby only has a mother. His father died. From what I understand she doesnít have the means to help.

Now for explaining my situation. I guess I wasnít clear. I currently live in Florida in a 55 plus. I have this house in pa which is the one being sold. Iím not closing on Friday (today). The buyers are closing on their home to pay for the pa house (my house) in cash.

I already gave my daughter 5000.00 to help her break away from her abusive boyfriend. She used that money to pay her expenses while trying to get on her feet. She hasnít been able to find a job Iím guessing because people see her belly. In the meantime the house that her apartment is in just got sold and the new landlords want 1800 for rent.

Now this coming Wednesday the closing for the pa house will take place. I am not getting a lot of money for this house as houses in that area go for very little. I will need that money because itís all I have. Not enough to do much with.

But anyway some here answered my original question. Itís a no go. Iíll proceed with the sale because Iím sure the buyers would be very disappointed as I would be if the tables were turned.

Itís a dog eat dog world

Old 05-04-2018, 08:10 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I’m sorry my post wasn’t clear. I do feel terrible to do that to the buyers. That’s all I’m doing is feeling terrible.

The father of the unborn baby only has a mother. His father died. From what I understand she doesn’t have the means to help.

Now for explaining my situation. I guess I wasn’t clear. I currently live in Florida in a 55 plus. I have this house in pa which is the one being sold. I’m not closing on Friday (today). The buyers are closing on their home to pay for the pa house (my house) in cash.

I already gave my daughter 5000.00 to help her break away from her abusive boyfriend. She used that money to pay her expenses while trying to get on her feet. She hasn’t been able to find a job I’m guessing because people see her belly. In the meantime the house that her apartment is in just got sold and the new landlords want 1800 for rent.

Now this coming Wednesday the closing for the pa house will take place. I am not getting a lot of money for this house as houses in that area go for very little. I will need that money because it’s all I have. Not enough to do much with.

But anyway some here answered my original question. It’s a no go. I’ll proceed with the sale because I’m sure the buyers would be very disappointed as I would be if the tables were turned.

It’s a dog eat dog world
Your mistake was giving your daughter $5K you should have helped her out up to $5K as needed, that should have lasted her a long time. Some children are happy to take their parents money or spend other people's money and not really care that they cant' really afford to help much more. Your daughter made bad choices, continues to make them and if anything happens to you and you don't tell her to wise up it's gonna be a bigger problem for you.

I can't imagine where rent in PA is $1800 so she has to find a smaller cheaper place. Let her sink or swim, she will figure it out. Tell her to move to NC and rent a $300 a month trailer.

At least you are doing the right thing and proceeding with the sale. Don't even put your problems on some other innocent individual like your buyers and like your daughter is doing to you.

Plus if you buyers have to sell their home to buy your inexpensive one they are not Rockefellers either.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 AM

Thanks for your reply. My daughter lives in ny not pa. But you are correct. She has to sink or swim. Such a shame and painful for me to watch.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM

My original question was already answered. Thanks for all your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or