U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM

318 posts, read 188,403 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for your kind words silverfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM

917 posts, read 402,858 times
My nieces and nephews have lived with my parents in their 55+ community. As long as they donít trash the place or make too much noise none of the neighbors care at all. Technically they cannot live there permanently but can come as guests and the period isnít well defined.

Iíd look carefully at the place youíre buying and see if you can make it work for them temporarily, rather than stop a sale you need to happen, financially. You can always move out of the retirement community later if itís going to be a longer term thing and housing in much of Florida is inexpensive, so long as youíre not trying to be in one of the bigger cities or beach towns.

Youíre in a tough situation and I hope there is a way to make it work without crashing the deal. You have to take care of yourself first, so that you arenít unable to do so later. Financially it benefits your family the most if you are stable, and then can help them, versus everyone ending up in crisis together. Hugs, OP!

Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanks schmooky. People notice here. I’m going to
Do what is right and proceed forward and trust things will
Work out for the better.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM

4,514 posts, read 3,772,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Itís a dog eat dog world
Not in this case. It's a pretty cut and dried transaction -- you agree to sell, they agreed to buy, they have invested money in inspections, possibly financing, etc. At almost the last minute, you want to cancel the agreement. Understand -- you CAN cancel the agreement. But at a cost, which is pretty much defined as part of the agreements that you signed. That's not dog-eat-dog. There's no "victim" here. That's a natural consequence for not fulfilling your part of a contract. You cannot expect to walk away from an agreement such as this scott-free without adequately compensating the time, money and effort invested by the buyers, agents, closing companies, etc.

While your daughter certainly has her hands full, there are other sources of assistance rather than dragging you through months, if not years, of litigation and putting your financial future in severe jeopardy.

Have her come to stay with you for 30 days while you help her decide what her next move should be, instead of jumping into a hasty, emotional and financially disastrous decision.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Dblackga. You are correct in all that you say. Emotions have been wrecking havoc with me but a signed contract agreement is the bottom line. Thank you for helping to snap me into
Thinking with my head and not my heart.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:08 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
My nieces and nephews have lived with my parents in their 55+ community. As long as they donít trash the place or make too much noise none of the neighbors care at all. Technically they cannot live there permanently but can come as guests and the period isnít well defined.

Iíd look carefully at the place youíre buying and see if you can make it work for them temporarily, rather than stop a sale you need to happen, financially. You can always move out of the retirement community later if itís going to be a longer term thing and housing in much of Florida is inexpensive, so long as youíre not trying to be in one of the bigger cities or beach towns.

Youíre in a tough situation and I hope there is a way to make it work without crashing the deal. You have to take care of yourself first, so that you arenít unable to do so later. Financially it benefits your family the most if you are stable, and then can help them, versus everyone ending up in crisis together. Hugs, OP!
Rues change from place to place. Some are very strict and you can't have anyone under 55 living there, some say 45 and over. Most won't allow kids because they thing the kids are going to register for school with that address and that would increase property taxes. Usually these places must have at least 80% 55 and over to qualify as that, they try to keep it 100% 55 and over so they don't lose the benefits they get from 55 and over status.

Some places say that if anyone is staying a week or more they have to register with the office and if they have a car they need a parking pass to park in your driveway, that's why I don't like these places where you buy a home and the HOA tells you who can live with you and when and why.

That Century Village place seems very strict in their rules. I'd be surprised if they let even grandkids stay overnight. That place rubbed me the wrong way when they said you have to meet with a committee and they can refuse to accept you for any or no reason.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM

You are correct. Century village rubs me the wrong way as well at times. Very strict. But I do see grandkids here playing in the pools. I love it but some of the older folks don’t.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
We can all see you are in a tight spot and under a lot of stress. We wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:11 PM

You’re kind words mean so much to me. Thanks Rakin.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,031 times
As the parent of an autistic son I hate hearing stories like this. I deleted everything else I was going to post here.

Her bad decisions are affecting everyone around her. I think a long talk is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or