Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 PM

676 posts, read 720,468 times

Advertisements

I am in the last stages of the sale of my house. The buyers are closing on their house on, Friday
and I'm suppose to close next Wednesday. It will be a cash sale. I believe the buyers will use my house as a vacation house, not a permanent residence because it's in a summer community with lots of amenities.

Meanwhile my daughter is in an emergency state. (How she got that way is another thread).

Is there anyway I could stop the sale of my house without it costing me a fortune? I would let my daughter live in that house. Right now she has no where to go, except a shelter, is pregnant, and has a 4 year old autistic son. She is thinking of giving her son to his father so he would be safe and not be in a shelter with her, but his father is an abusive drunk. So probably not the fathers parents would take the child. They are very financially stable and love their grandchild, as do I. This is devistating to her and to me.

I'm a widow, not in a good financial state, and not to well. She can't live with me because I'm in a 55 plus, and she would only be allowed to stay for 30 days. She's in NY, I'm in florida.

Any knowledge about stopping this sale?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 12:51 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
You can ask the buyer, they might cancel on pity but I doubt it. If it were me I'd tell you to pack up and be out by closing. You don't stop a real estate transaction near the end. If you do and the seller objects, you will rapidly find yourself in court and losing.

Look up "specific performance"

Old 05-04-2018, 01:16 AM

211 posts, read 546,050 times
55 plus usually allow for guests.
She probably could stay with you as a guest temporarily.
Then with the money from the sale of the house you could rent somewhere for your daughter to live.
Involve the fathers parents. Seem they want to help too.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:26 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
if it is a vacation home... ask if you can rent the house from buyer and let her stay there when they aren't vacationing, and they know the house is kept up too between vacations

Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Any knowledge about stopping this sale?
You could easily end up in court on the losing, expensive end of a specific performance lawsuit. Find some other way to help you daughter.

Besides, how would you feel if the tables were turned?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:10 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You could easily end up in court on the losing, expensive end of a specific performance lawsuit. Find some other way to help you daughter.

Besides, how would you feel if the tables were turned?

OP, I am unclear on your status.
You sell your existing house on Friday, and you will buy your new house on Wednesday with the proceeds of that sale?

If you don't close on Friday, will your Wednesday deal fall apart?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:23 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

You sell your existing house on Friday, and you will buy your new house on Wednesday with the proceeds of that sale?

I took it as the buyers of the OP's house are selling their house Friday, taking proceeds to buy OP house Wed.

If that's the case, OP is going to not only mess it up for the buyer of her house, but potentially the buyers of the other house also. Quite the conundrum..

Old 05-04-2018, 05:24 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

She is closing on her NY home on Wednesday and not buying another home. She's already in a 55+ home.

OP if you are not in great financial shape, don't you need the sale and the cash?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:57 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
It doesn't sound as though backing out of your sale will fix your daughter's problem. She can't live in the house you're selling because she is under 55. Thus, although you would like to provide housing for your daughter and her children, the house you're selling isn't it.

When you are selling your house you are obviously moving someplace. Since you're not buying a new house I assume you're moving to a rental. Can your daughter live with you there, or could you rent a bigger place that your daughter and her children would share with you?

It might be good if you could help your daughter collect child support from the sperm donor.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Don't stop the sale, take the money and rent her a trailer somewhere cheap.

Learn to deal with it now, i'm sure this is only one of many "emergencies" to come.

Don't do that to the buyer who was selling their house to buy yours. You don't know their situation maybe they need to rent it out becuase they have their own emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate