Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Start with indies.

At least in my market, they are much more flexible on the negotiation of fees than big brokerages. Those huge buildings that house large brokerages have large overhead which has to be made up somehow. I know some brokerages don't allow their agents to accept less than a certain commission which is what it sounds like you ran into.
The benefits of talking to an independent broker include talking directly to the policy maker.
Much less multilevel corporate fat to support financially and better responsiveness to policy queries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 03:29 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The benefits of talking to an independent broker include talking directly to the policy maker.
Much less multilevel corporate fat to support financially and better responsiveness to policy queries.
Exactly.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:30 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
We live in a free market economy. It's not a perfect system but it's the best we have and that won't change. Being 'good' at a dinosaur trade is not 'good enough' when change rolls around as it will in this industry. One must have to adapt to change. Plenty of 'good' travel agents went on to other things. A few had the talent and foresight to lead the industry into the new world.

It's not my problem to solve but, for example, very, very few buyers will shell out several thousand dollars for a vaguely defined service that's offered today. So once the artificial model is broken up, buyer's agents will need to figure out how to service the buyer and provide what he needs at the price he's willing to pay.

The easy ride enabled by leading the buyer to believe his agent is 'free' (so low expectations and low accountability) and making the seller pay to access buyers under buyer's agent ownership will not last forever.
Yup, it's so free the buyer can choose to hire an agent or go it alone or even somewhere in between! Amazing! A seller can hire a full service agent or sell by owner or somewhere in between. They can negotiate whatever commission they want and the agent can take it or not take it. Amazing! So what's the issue with the free market you have?

Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I wouldn't exclude some franchises from your statement. As a small, locally owned RE/MAX office we are free to make our own policies. I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,582,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I wouldn't exclude some franchises from your statement. As a small, locally owned RE/MAX office we are free to make our own policies. I'm not saying...I'm just saying.
How much do you pay for association with the 'killer' RE/MAX brand. It's very powerful in the market and consumers know when they hire a RE/MAX agent, they are getting the best. So I'm sure all those franchise fees are worth it. Do you still pay the balloon fee? Maybe this is the 'fat' that Mike is talking about???

Old 05-11-2018, 04:00 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,954,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
There should be no sales commission for services related to helping a buyer. Period.

Maybe part of the problem is that nobody can even agree on who pays for something. That's hardly what I would call 'straight forward'.

You can get "nickled and dimed" for the services you want or you can get "18 thousand dollared" for a bundle of services, most of which many buyers do not want or need. If most buyers knew how much being driven around and given bottled water costs them, they'd just drive themselves....or they could hire a chauffeur driven Roller for cheaper and replace the bottled water with champagne.
Both buyer and seller have sign something that says they understand exactly how much we will be paid IF we complete our work. It's not a mystery. That's pretty straightforward.

Perhaps I'll start offering champagne. Or at least a good bourbon... more my speed. Sounds good.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Both buyer and seller have sign something that says they understand exactly how much we will be paid IF we complete our work. It's not a mystery. That's pretty straightforward.

Perhaps I'll start offering champagne. Or at least a good bourbon... more my speed. Sounds good.
I'm all about the margarita myself. Not a fan of champagne.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If the franchise is small. Even large indies often don't have the ability to negotiate. Really small brokerages offer the most flexibility, I think.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,954,182 times
Quote:
I'm all about the margarita myself. Not a fan of champagne.
OK but now we're going to need a blender.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
If the franchise is small. Even large indies often don't have the ability to negotiate. Really small brokerages offer the most flexibility, I think.
Fair statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate