U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:46 PM

7,091 posts, read 3,786,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you want an old house with issues... stick to the one you already own.

btw... have you ever gone to a real financial planner or CPA?
You know, to see just what you can afford nd on what sort of terms?

If you can't afford a house that doesn't need repair... maybe you should just rent.
Don't worry your head about my finances; I have plenty of money. I just spend it sparingly (which is why I have plenty of money). Now back to the topic at hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 03:38 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,645,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, do you need to fix sloping floors? Lots of old houses have them. If it's a static situation that isn't growing progressively worse, you can live with it. If the duct work can't be accessed via the crawlspace, you can block off the registers and install a wall-mounted heat/air system. If there are plumbing problems, those can be repaired via flexible tubing - or so I'm told. If the price is right, there's a lot you can live with or work around, IMO. On the other hand, if there's standing water or deadly mold under the house, that's a problem.
My house has sloping floors; they're part of its quirky charm. It's 91 years old but still very solid and also well-maintained and updated as well. As far as the crawlspace goes, I'm glad to show mine off - it's the plumbers pride since it's so bright and clean and it's not even damp. I crawled into it myself a week ago to plug the dehumidifier in again after they failed to do so after replacing the sump pump.

Personally, I would NOT buy a home where the underside of the house was inaccessible. I've heard too many horror stories from plumbers and electricians of the Herculean efforts they've had to make to replace piping or access wiring. This all results in added costs for the homeowner. And as you said, without having access to what's under the house, you cannot know if there's mold, or standing water, not to mention sagging joists or other serious problems. It would be a major deal-breaker for me.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM

229 posts, read 107,621 times
After reading the comments in response to the OP's question, I'd have to say it's time to walk away. Quickly. If the seller won't allow access to the crawlspace, what's he hiding? Let someone else get stuck.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 PM

1,513 posts, read 566,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, do you need to fix sloping floors? Lots of old houses have them. If it's a static situation that isn't growing progressively worse, you can live with it. If the duct work can't be accessed via the crawlspace, you can block off the registers and install a wall-mounted heat/air system. If there are plumbing problems, those can be repaired via flexible tubing - or so I'm told. If the price is right, there's a lot you can live with or work around, IMO. On the other hand, if there's standing water or deadly mold under the house, that's a problem.
1. Yes. Square is square. If it shifted out of that, it will continue.

2. Duct tape and band-aids. Shoe goo spot and a prayer.

When it comes to functional homes, itís right - or itís wrong. What youíre describing is wrong.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 AM

9,496 posts, read 14,296,487 times
"and the seller won't remove them or allow them to be removed."

DON'T BUY IT! Wood that is exposed to moisture and not well ventilated, will rot. Period!

Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM

7,699 posts, read 10,074,906 times
Where are you located? There are inspectors that use RC crawler type vehicles modified for this use with cameras on them. Basically it is a drone for under a house. I can probably ask on some inspector Facebook groups and get some names for you.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 AM

7,091 posts, read 3,786,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Where are you located? There are inspectors that use RC crawler type vehicles modified for this use with cameras on them. Basically it is a drone for under a house. I can probably ask on some inspector Facebook groups and get some names for you.
The only access points currently are a couple of small vents with grating; not sure how you'd get a drone down there without at least removing that. I already have the name of an inspector who utilizes cameras on tubing, but with the proviso that even then everything isn't always or necessarily accessible to future workmen or even able to be visualized. I already know there are mice, too, because I've seen the traps set up around the house, as well as an "embarrassment" of air fresheners, the selling agent's reasoning being that the home hasn't been lived in a for a while.

Were the size and location not perfect, I wouldn't consider it, but it's almost throw-away money and in a safe neighborhood with nice neighbors. I can live with a lot of imperfection temporarily myself. My main concern is being unable to resell it later and getting stuck with the property and with some major problems.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:21 AM

98 posts, read 40,376 times
Iíd walk...no, run...away.

Every time you post with your reasoning why youíre still considering this money pit, we find out some new horrific defect. Mice?? Over abundance of air fresheners? What if there is a colony down there? This does not sound like the right house for you.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,082,011 times
If the seller will not allow you access to inspect that area, don't buy the house. Perhaps the seller will reconsider if they realize this will cause you to back out. If they still won't allow access, walk away.

Maybe they buried a body down there.....

Old 05-10-2018, 12:10 PM

68 posts, read 59,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
If the seller will not allow you access to inspect that area, don't buy the house. Perhaps the seller will reconsider if they realize this will cause you to back out. If they still won't allow access, walk away.

Maybe they buried a body down there.....
This!!^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate