U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,294,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah... we've all gone around on that idea before.
I'm sticking.

EVERY buyer needs an attorney.

Attorneys exist to avoid having them in the first place.
See the difference?

I guarantee you that even one of your incompetent TX attorneys
would have looked over the sales contract and pointed out the tax lien question.

It all makes me what other encumbrances and problems the OP hasn't learned about yet.
The thing is - here in a title company state - if the Title company at closing signs off that the taxes are paid - and that IS a document in the closing package - the mistake is the title company responsibility.

It happens occasionally, and I have NEVER seen a title company not take responsibility for their own oversight.

Now if a buyer has an incompetent realtor and there are other oversights, then sure an attorney makes sense...but in Texas - the attorney does not do the search to see if taxes are paid, or if the HOA has a transfer fee, etc...that is ALL handled by a title company.

If the title company closes a transaction with an affirmation that turns out to be untrue, they have failed in their due diligence, and the responsibility falls on them. Otherwise, what is the point of title insurance? If they miss a recorded deed, its the title company who must deal with it. Its the same thing.

Also, in most title company's an attorney does draw up most of the documents, but they rely on staff to do the grunt work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 09:22 PM

3,123 posts, read 5,788,179 times
In regards to this attorney vs title company issue.

I bought and sold my first home using a title company and no Realtor or attorney. Technically, neither are required. When everything goes well with a title agency, which was my experience, the transaction was at little cost and no hassle for me. I would definitely consider using a Realtor if I sell my current home or buy a new one. I would only hire an attorney instead if I felt the closing may require additional legal work after closing. Not everyone's experience is the same and nobody should advise that all should choose one option or another IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate