Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times

Advertisements

Anyone have the feeling that we're back in 2007 territory again with housing inventory, rising prices and easy mortgages?

This article says we might be: https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com...-is-in-trouble

Last year, I bought a lovely home in a good area, and I had to outbid two other buyers to get it. I'm told that this year, the market is even hotter, and that houses are being sold within hours of being listed.

I've got a couple friends that are Realtors, and they're telling me that the market is super-heated right now with no sign of cooling off.

Have we come to the end of another real estate cycle? Are prices going to drop off a cliff soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:45 AM

167 posts, read 168,274 times
I think we’ll see aome plateauing here soon, as interest rates creep upwards.

We’re nowhere need the no-doc loans and credit default swaps that fueled the last crash. No where near.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Anyone have the feeling that we're back in 2007 territory again with housing inventory, rising prices and easy mortgages?

This article says we might be: https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com...-is-in-trouble

Last year, I bought a lovely home in a good area, and I had to outbid two other buyers to get it. I'm told that this year, the market is even hotter, and that houses are being sold within hours of being listed.

I've got a couple friends that are Realtors, and they're telling me that the market is super-heated right now with no sign of cooling off.

Have we come to the end of another real estate cycle? Are prices going to drop off a cliff soon?
At this point, in the pacific northwest, home prices are still escalating. I'm sure there is an end in site, but we're not there yet. Houses are becoming unaffordable for many first time buyers.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
I kinda have the same feeling, but not really a crash so much, more so things just leveling off. I'm shopping for a rental property right now and homes that IMHO should be going for like 90k to 115k are going for upwards of 160k. Again though who am I to dictate what a property is worth, if people are willing to pay 160k that's what it's worth.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:

No, prices in many areas are just going up to what they were before the crash or a little higher to make up for inflation since then. And there are no easy mortgages. Trump I think is trying to change the Dodd-Frank Act but I think it's still in place and underwriters want you to document and explain everything including a small deposit which was a simple rebate check. Lenders and banks are being held accountable. Starter homes or lower cost entry homes are the ones that have gone up the most, but mid priced homes in my area are still available and affordable.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Starter homes or lower cost entry homes are the ones that have gone up the most, but mid priced homes in my area are still available and affordable.
Could you give a ballpark for what a "mid-priced home" in your area is selling for?

Here in Hampton Roads, a mid-priced home is probably in the high 300s, and that does not seem affordable to me. :/

Old 05-09-2018, 08:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Define "cusp."

Yes there will be another real estate crash. There always is. Realtors and others always say no way, not this time it wont happen. Then it does. Repeat over and over and over.

When will it happen? If someone could accurately predict that, the wold be a multi-billionaire.

If you define cusp as being the next 50 years, definitely. The next 10 years, probably, the next two years, no one knows or can guess with any reliability.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:

No.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I kinda have the same feeling, but not really a crash so much, more so things just leveling off. I'm shopping for a rental property right now and homes that IMHO should be going for like 90k to 115k are going for upwards of 160k. Again though who am I to dictate what a property is worth, if people are willing to pay 160k that's what it's worth.
Same as in my area. Although some are priced correctly there are a few smaller homes that are 30% overpriced. In my area a small 3/2 about 900 sq ft was asking for $150K. They lowered it to $145K but at most with some low end upgrades that were done it should not appraise for any more than $110K if that. There are better and bigger homes for about the same price so they need to find a special sucker to fall for this one.

Then again less than 2 years ago investors bought a tiny 2/1 600 sq ft for $55K when it would have appraised for maybe $40K or less and are renting it out. Also a 2/2 bigger 1300 sq ft on a double corner lot with an unattached 2 car garage sold for $150K when it was worth about $100K at the time. So if they find investors or people from up north with cash they can sell for their asking price.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Define "cusp."

Yes there will be another real estate crash. There always is. Realtors and others always say no way, not this time it wont happen. Then it does. Repeat over and over and over.

When will it happen? If someone could accurately predict that, the wold be a multi-billionaire.

If you define cusp as being the next 50 years, definitely. The next 10 years, probably, the next two years, no one knows or can guess with any reliability.
When was the previous one before 2006 because I don't remember it. I don't see a crash unless the banks and wall street find another scam to pull on the American public. A cooling off yes, a crash, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate