U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:10 PM

1,528 posts, read 730,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sounds to me like he has really good experience! Nowhere did he say that took the place of inspections.

Amazing thing to me is that you can find a problem with someone talking up their quite extensive experience in the business and twist it around like it's a bad thing. It's really quite a remarkable feat!
That's why I said 'implied / suggested'.

Either you're representing yourself as providing services related to assessing building quality, adherence to codes, etc or you're not. It's unclear what this agent provides in terms of services related to this area and he refuses to clarify. So who knows. But I think most would agree that if you're selling yourself as an agent for new construction based on your extensive knowledge of construction, etc, then that strongly implies that you'll be providing services and protecting the buyer in some way against poor construction. It's unclear, it's not specific and there's no accountability for anything related to quality of build. Happy to be corrected if someone can explain what this agent or any agent provides in terms of specific services related to evaluating build quality, engineering, materials, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 PM

3,841 posts, read 2,069,187 times
You're just attempting to twist everything around into something it isn't.... because that's what you do, JB, bless your heart anyway!

I don't think anyone else is all that confused about why experience in the industry might be a really good thing to for an agent have, or what value that experience might bring, when one is walking through a house, or a transaction.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,998,253 times
Quote:
You're just attempting to twist everything around into something it isn't.... because that's what you do, JB, bless your heart anyway!

I don't think anyone else is all that confused about why experience in the industry might be a really good thing to for an agent have, or what value that experience might bring, when one is walking through a house, or a transaction.
bless your heart Diana

Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 PM

7,075 posts, read 10,837,646 times
We use a buyers agent for two purposes:

1) We usually get a break on the RE commission when having the same agent on the sale of our old house and purchase of the new home. It has no impact on our purchase price to have a buyer's agent representing us.

2) We keep the agent busy handling the paperwork and tracking things with the builder so I don't have to spend my time with them.

So far, so good with five brand new homes in our track record.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 PM

29,976 posts, read 34,597,527 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like he has really good experience! Nowhere did he say that took the place of inspections.
I never replace an Inspector. Out of the hundreds of New Builds I've done everyone but maybe 3 have had the services of Home Inspectors. I have one closing in about 2 weeks where I'm paying for the cost of the Inspector because the Buyer is short on funds and probably would not have one.

I'd rather pay for the Inspection out of my pocket if necessary to protect the Buyer than not to have one at all.

I'm not going to discuss with JB. All he's looking to do is argue and not really discuss.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 PM

7,794 posts, read 6,149,667 times
That William Shakespeare is pretty universally recognized as a sharp fella.

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

if you prefer, from the Bible:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.

or, a little more modern, from Mark Twain...

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

Old 05-12-2018, 02:25 AM

9,525 posts, read 14,317,996 times
A good buyer's broker can tell you about the school quality, crime rates, hidden taxes, pending construction projects and seasonal events when you might want to be out of town. He can also tell you about advantages the builder may not have mentioned.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I never replace an Inspector. Out of the hundreds of New Builds I've done everyone but maybe 3 have had the services of Home Inspectors. I have one closing in about 2 weeks where I'm paying for the cost of the Inspector because the Buyer is short on funds and probably would not have one.

I'd rather pay for the Inspection out of my pocket if necessary to protect the Buyer than not to have one at all.

I'm not going to discuss with JB. All he's looking to do is argue and not really discuss.
I never said that the issue was telling buyers that they don't need a licensed inspector (I believe inspectors need to be licensed in TX).

I said that marketing yourself as a new build agent and being an expert on construction (and your position is that consumers doing new builds should select agents with construction experience and/or understanding) suggests that you provide services related to assessing/inspecting/viewing construction.

I still don't know what services you provide around assessing construction where your construction expertise is important. Perhaps you visit the site and 'inspect' as the build progresses. Perhaps the formal inspection by a licensed inspector is just done at the end? You certainly could argue that if you are doing some level of 'inspections' or 'assessments' throughout the build, you are indeed replacing a licensed inspector at these points.

I think that this behavior is dangerous for the consumer and for the agent. I'm not attacking your personal experience or understanding but presumably you are not a licensed inspector (and even if you were, that might get into some conflict of interest issues). But the idea that agents with mixed levels of qualifications and no inspection license are out there assessing build quality, codes or whatever you do and presumably reporting back to the consumer that "I don't see any problems" is dangerous. To protect the consumer, those kind of conclusions should be only made by those with formal qualifications and an inspection license. Do you put any of this in writing in a fully professional report? Or is it done informally on the side? Making representations of build quality and compliance to codes, etc is far too important to be done 'informally' by someone with no formal qualifications or license. From the agent's perspective, it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. You might argue that you have much more experience and understanding than an inspector but your personal experience is not what we're talking about. And I'm not at all questioning your personal experience.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 AM

31,650 posts, read 55,416,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Good job.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
That William Shakespeare is pretty universally recognized as a sharp fella.

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

if you prefer, from the Bible:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.

or, a little more modern, from Mark Twain...

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
For the record, I'm talking about real estate and you're making personal attacks. Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum and only create more friction and divisiveness. Let's stick to talking about real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or