U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2018, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,605 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Reputation: 30155

Advertisements

"Trolling" is prohibited.

We will NEVER see a troll, a bot, or a relentlessly disingenuous anonymous poster post this excerpt from the CD TOS.




http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-12-2018 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2018, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,605 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Reputation: 30155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We use a buyers agent for two purposes:

1) We usually get a break on the RE commission when having the same agent on the sale of our old house and purchase of the new home. It has no impact on our purchase price to have a buyer's agent representing us.

2) We keep the agent busy handling the paperwork and tracking things with the builder so I don't have to spend my time with them.

So far, so good with five brand new homes in our track record.
1) Of course. While some builders will give credit for a buyer not having representation, a great many will not.

2) Good use of the agent.

3) And, you might have added, another set of experienced eyes, a sounding board, someone to pull comps for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 05:28 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,931 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Reputation: 35926
I will add that after probably attending, working, discussing at least 1200 home Inspections, I could probably do a better job Inspecting a home than 50% of the Inspectors in business.

But I'll always bring in a Pro even if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
819 posts, read 484,513 times
Reputation: 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveEugene View Post
One common myth about purchasing a new construction home is that you must use the builder’s agent as your Realtor. The truth is, model homes are staffed by agents that are working directly for the builder - and it’s their job to get the builder the most money possible for the home!

To ensure that your best interests are being protected, be sure to obtain a specialized buyer’s agent. Your buyer’s agent can assist you regardless of which new construction community you choose, and will negotiate on your behalf every step of the way.
Whew! There for a second I thought you were a gratuitous shill cloaking a broad solicitation as advice--relieved to discover all the things a buyer's agent will do to protect us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 11:17 AM
 
7,675 posts, read 11,281,660 times
Reputation: 15254
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
For example, an inspector inspects a home and provides a written report that he must be accountable for - the quality of the written report and the correctness and thoroughness of the content.
What a complete load of B.S.

An inspector isn't accountable for a damn thing. And they all make sure to put that in writing in the agreement you sign before they conduct their inspection. Now matter how many errors they make, or how many defective items they miss during their inspection, all that you as a client are entitled to is a refund of the fee you paid for the inspection.

Where does this so-called "accountability" come in?

And no, I haven't had a problem with an inspector (although some are much better than others). I just don't like the fact that they all claim they take no responsibility whatsoever for any deficiencies, errors, or omissions in their reports. Then what the hell am I hiring you for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 12:09 PM
 
4,620 posts, read 2,609,668 times
Reputation: 4108
We had a buyers agent for our new build. Two afternoons of showing us around and that was about it. Did nothing during the build process and I caught and addressed things myself with the builder.

Heard nothing again until closing day and she called to say she’d be late to the closing. I told her not to bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 03:32 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 725,886 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
What a complete load of B.S.

An inspector isn't accountable for a damn thing. And they all make sure to put that in writing in the agreement you sign before they conduct their inspection. Now matter how many errors they make, or how many defective items they miss during their inspection, all that you as a client are entitled to is a refund of the fee you paid for the inspection.

Where does this so-called "accountability" come in?

And no, I haven't had a problem with an inspector (although some are much better than others). I just don't like the fact that they all claim they take no responsibility whatsoever for any deficiencies, errors, or omissions in their reports. Then what the hell am I hiring you for?
Accountability can take many forms. You can go after your home inspector for negligence and/or file complaints, etc. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's infinitely more accountability than an agent commenting on the condition of a home or the quality of construction, codes, etc, without even putting anything in writing. The consumer is led to believe they are being protected by their super agent who knows all about construction. But if nothing is in writing, nothing happened.

Accountability is also about committing to do something and then doing it. The agent here won't even say what 'inspection' services he provides. I bet agents who present themselves as being able to provide building inspection/assessment services don't even commit to what those services will be and how often they will "inspect", etc. It's all a vague mess of false security for the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 03:46 PM
 
7,675 posts, read 11,281,660 times
Reputation: 15254
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Accountability can take many forms. You can go after your home inspector for negligence and/or file complaints, etc. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's infinitely more accountability than an agent commenting on the condition of a home or the quality of construction, codes, etc, without even putting anything in writing. The consumer is led to believe they are being protected by their super agent who knows all about construction. But if nothing is in writing, nothing happened.

Accountability is also about committing to do something and then doing it. The agent here won't even say what 'inspection' services he provides. I bet agents who present themselves as being able to provide building inspection/assessment services don't even commit to what those services will be and how often they will "inspect", etc. It's all a vague mess of false security for the consumer.
No, you can't. That was the whole point of my post. They refuse to accept any accountability for their inspections, and make you sign a statement to that fact before they'll perform the work. So regardless of how negligent or incompetent they are, the only thing that you are entitled to should you want to sue them, is a refund of the fee that you paid to them. So if you're stuck with thousands or tens of thousands of dollars for repairs on a house that you wouldn't have purchased had the inspector found the defects and noted them in his report, all he's responsible for is refunding the $300-$500 fee you paid him. BFD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,605 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Reputation: 30155
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
We had a buyers agent for our new build. Two afternoons of showing us around and that was about it. Did nothing during the build process and I caught and addressed things myself with the builder.

Heard nothing again until closing day and she called to say she’d be late to the closing. I told her not to bother.
When you engaged her:
  1. What did you ask her to do?
  2. What did she say she would do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,605 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Reputation: 30155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
What a complete load of B.S.

An inspector isn't accountable for a damn thing. And they all make sure to put that in writing in the agreement you sign before they conduct their inspection. Now matter how many errors they make, or how many defective items they miss during their inspection, all that you as a client are entitled to is a refund of the fee you paid for the inspection.

Where does this so-called "accountability" come in?

And no, I haven't had a problem with an inspector (although some are much better than others). I just don't like the fact that they all claim they take no responsibility whatsoever for any deficiencies, errors, or omissions in their reports. Then what the hell am I hiring you for?
Get used to it if you continue to engage. Most others are wise to the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top