U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Eugene, OR
10 posts, read 2,934 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

One common myth about purchasing a new construction home is that you must use the builder’s agent as your Realtor. The truth is, model homes are staffed by agents that are working directly for the builder - and it’s their job to get the builder the most money possible for the home!

To ensure that your best interests are being protected, be sure to obtain a specialized buyer’s agent. Your buyer’s agent can assist you regardless of which new construction community you choose, and will negotiate on your behalf every step of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2018, 11:37 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,957 posts, read 34,568,659 times
Reputation: 35962
I have helped probably 350 clients build homes in the last 20 years and also spent 20 years in the construction business prior to that. I know the good builders from the bad. Prior to building I know questions to ask the builder you will never think to ask. As the home is being built, I know how to walk through and see things you will never see. I go to the final walk through and see things you will never see.

At least in my case, that's why people want me as their agent for new construction.

They probably don't need some Rookie with no experience in new home construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 11:53 AM
 
570 posts, read 222,668 times
Reputation: 655
We were interested in a new construction spec house and showed up with our buyer's agent and lots of questions and we could not get follow up from the builder's agents regarding the questions. It was very frustrating so we decided not to go that route. We wondered if it was because we had a buyer's agent and the pricing of that spec home was not enough to accommodate real estate commission for the buyer's agent or just poor customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 01:24 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 728,653 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have helped probably 350 clients build homes in the last 20 years and also spent 20 years in the construction business prior to that. I know the good builders from the bad. Prior to building I know questions to ask the builder you will never think to ask. As the home is being built, I know how to walk through and see things you will never see. I go to the final walk through and see things you will never see.

At least in my case, that's why people want me as their agent for new construction.

They probably don't need some Rookie with no experience in new home construction.
You may have read some of my criticism for buyers agents as it's all vague and services are poorly defined. What specific services do you provide related to what you're talking about?

For example, an inspector inspects a home and provides a written report that he must be accountable for - the quality of the written report and the correctness and thoroughness of the content.

Asking questions is not a service. "Walking through and seeing things" is not a service.

In the last inspection that I had I discussed it with the inspector. He described his service completely. He said it would take him 6 hours. He described what he would inspect and what was excluded. His output would be a report and he showed me examples. He said how much it would cost me. That's how a service is defined in any business. I could give many more examples.

What is your output from your questions and walking around and seeing? What accountability do you have for your services related to build quality or your pseudo inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,957 posts, read 34,568,659 times
Reputation: 35962
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
You may have read some of my criticism for buyers agents as it's all vague and services are poorly defined. What specific services do you provide related to what you're talking about?

For example, an inspector inspects a home and provides a written report that he must be accountable for - the quality of the written report and the correctness and thoroughness of the content.

Asking questions is not a service. "Walking through and seeing things" is not a service.

In the last inspection that I had I discussed it with the inspector. He described his service completely. He said it would take him 6 hours. He described what he would inspect and what was excluded. His output would be a report and he showed me examples. He said how much it would cost me. That's how a service is defined in any business. I could give many more examples.

What is your output from your questions and walking around and seeing? What accountability do you have for your services related to build quality or your pseudo inspection?
I'd be happy to discuss this with anyone interested or a potential client. I'm not going to respond to you since all you want to do is argue.

I explained my experience and history. It's very extensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
7,974 posts, read 6,732,133 times
Reputation: 10720
My last two homes were new builds in small developments. I found no need for an agent. Granted I have bought and sold homes over the years, I am educated so I can read a contract, and I have no problem confronting people. I signed nothing until my lawyer approved it and he explained anything I was not aware of.

I was able to get the builder to reduce that base price and he said some of which he would have had to pay to my agent had I used one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 01:45 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 728,653 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My last two homes were new builds in small developments. I found no need for an agent. Granted I have bought and sold homes over the years, I am educated so I can read a contract, and I have no problem confronting people. I signed nothing until my lawyer approved it and he explained anything I was not aware of.

I was able to get the builder to reduce that base price and he said some of which he would have had to pay to my agent had I used one.
Agree. And if you need an inspector, hire an inspector who will provide you with a written inspection report. Not an agent who "asks questions". It's unsettling that agents sometimes imply or suggest that they are taking the role of an inspector in the process. I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular as we've seen this here several times here. One agent even said that he measures ceiling joists in new builds! Yikes. Scary stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,837 posts, read 2,061,340 times
Reputation: 10582
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Agree. And if you need an inspector, hire an inspector who will provide you with a written inspection report. Not an agent who "asks questions". It's unsettling that agents sometimes imply or suggest that they are taking the role of an inspector in the process. I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular as we've seen this here several times here. One agent even said that he measures ceiling joists in new builds! Yikes. Scary stuff.
You know JB... your job as our forum faultfinder is safe, but please don't be disingenuous. I haven't ever seen any agent here or anywhere suggest they could or would take the place of an inspector. But experience with real estate is part of our value. Another set of eyes, ears and questions and perhaps even an extra tape measure is not a bad thing to have in a transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 728,653 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have helped probably 350 clients build homes in the last 20 years and also spent 20 years in the construction business prior to that. I know the good builders from the bad. Prior to building I know questions to ask the builder you will never think to ask. As the home is being built, I know how to walk through and see things you will never see. I go to the final walk through and see things you will never see.

At least in my case, that's why people want me as their agent for new construction.

They probably don't need some Rookie with no experience in new home construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You know JB... your job as our forum faultfinder is safe, but please don't be disingenuous. I haven't ever seen any agent here or anywhere suggest they could or would take the place of an inspector. But experience with real estate is part of our value. Another set of eyes, ears and questions and perhaps even an extra tape measure is not a bad thing to have in a transaction.
Well I don't know why an agent would market themselves as an expert on construction unless they are trying to imply/suggest that they will somehow inspect or assess or evaluate the quality of construction. And that they will protect the buyer from bad construction. See why it's dangerous? There IS a strongly implied protection here.

My issue is both with the qualifications to inspect and also the accountability. An extra set of eyes or ears is not a defined service. Nor is asking questions. As a consumer, i want something more specific. An inspector provides a written report as an output. An appraiser provides a written appraisal report. A lawyer reviews a contract and suggests amendments. 'Asking questions' or 'seeing things'. NO. Don't want to pay for "services" with no specific outputs and no accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,837 posts, read 2,061,340 times
Reputation: 10582
Sounds to me like he has really good experience! Nowhere did he say that took the place of inspections.

Amazing thing to me is that you can find a problem with someone talking up their quite extensive experience in the business and twist it around like it's a bad thing. It's really quite a remarkable feat!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-11-2018 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Corrected gender... I incorrectly thought Rakin was a "she".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top