U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2018, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla
3,940 posts, read 6,403,093 times
Reputation: 1425

Advertisements

Acually, you are totally wrong with heading this thread has...

it should be ...HOW NOT TO SHOW YOUR HOUSE..SO THE REALTOR CAN TAKE DECENT PHOTOS

It's an old frame house in an obviously rural area so that doesn't lend itself to great photos - especially when the owners don't do a damn thing to help it sell...like CLEAN IT UP

the listing also says This home needs significant updating and rehab

It's not the Realtors fault....you have to have something to work with


here is another house in a nearby neighborhood and similar price https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M49086-23124
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,271 posts, read 5,545,610 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Acually, you are totally wrong with heading this thread has...

it should be ...HOW NOT TO SHOW YOUR HOUSE..SO THE REALTOR CAN TAKE DECENT PHOTOS

It's an old frame house in an obviously rural area so that doesn't lend itself to great photos - especially when the owners don't do a damn thing to help it sell...like CLEAN IT UP

the listing also says This home needs significant updating and rehab

It's not the Realtors fault....you have to have something to work with


here is another house in a nearby neighborhood and similar price https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M49086-23124

I didn't start this thread, just added to it. Like I said, there is not much the agent could do with the stuff all around, but some of the pictures were blurry and just showing a clothes rack -- why include those at all?

I know that the issue is with the state of the house and not the pictures themselves, like it's not going to be the blurry pictures that don't sell the place, but I don't get why so many were included showing all the clutter. Someone I work with is selling their marital home "as is" and it needs a lot of work and is in bad shape clutter-wise, she admits that it's a "dump". Their listing has pictures of the outside and a few of the inside that show better features of the home.

Maybe it's a good thing to have the true-to-life pictures in the listing? At least it shows potential buyers what they're in for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla
3,940 posts, read 6,403,093 times
Reputation: 1425
because those clothes racks are in an ATTIC or storage space that is part of the house and needs to be shown.

If you didn't put in the photos that show the clutter you wouldn't have any photos at all....
'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,840 posts, read 2,063,984 times
Reputation: 10587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Maybe it's a good thing to have the true-to-life pictures in the listing? At least it shows potential buyers what they're in for...

This.... I am glad when agents show what the house is really like. I hate arriving at a house with a client, only to see the heaps of trash and junked cars they DIDN'T show in any of the listing photos.


But you are right... there is no good excuse for blurry and dark pictures. That's just incompetent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,271 posts, read 5,545,610 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
because those clothes racks are in an ATTIC or storage space that is part of the house and needs to be shown.

If you didn't put in the photos that show the clutter you wouldn't have any photos at all....
'
So if this was your listing, and you'd done your best to educate the sellers on cleaning up/gutting or whatever, to no avail, would you have put all of those pictures in your listing?

I'm not sure seeing the ATTIC space (is that an acronym for something that I'm not aware of?) or storage space is paramount. And the picture doesn't show the ATTIC or storage space really, it shows a clothes rack. A lot of listings don't show the ATTIC or storage spaces. Just because realtor.com has space for so many pictures doesn't necessarily mean there should be that many pictures IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,271 posts, read 5,545,610 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This.... I am glad when agents show what the house is really like. I hate arriving at a house with a client, only to see the heaps of trash and junked cars they DIDN'T show in any of the listing photos.


But you are right... there is no good excuse for blurry and dark pictures. That's just incompetent.
Ah, thanks. That makes more sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: NC
6,081 posts, read 7,051,537 times
Reputation: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Here's another listing showing how not to showcase a house. Granted, there was not much the agent could have done with all the nasty clutter but ugh:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-13479#photo24


Even the name of the road is a turn off!
I see nothing wrong with these photos. They show the features and the layout. You just need to ignore the personal belongings. Could be renters who were surprised by the need to photograph. Ash Swamp? It is probably named for an old swamp dominated by lovely ash trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM
 
Location: NC
1,789 posts, read 865,424 times
Reputation: 4187
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I see nothing wrong with these photos. They show the features and the layout. You just need to ignore the personal belongings. Could be renters who were surprised by the need to photograph. Ash Swamp? It is probably named for an old swamp dominated by lovely ash trees.
Yes, but no need to include blurry pictures or pictures that are so dark that you can't even tell what they are supposed to show.

Even the original listing I used didn't show an immense amount of clutter, but I don't understand taking a picture of the headboard of the bed and the wall above it, or several of the other walls, instead of the rooms themselves. It's obvious the agent doesn't have an artistic eye, but if that's the case, find someone to do it that does. Not everyone does, but if that's your weakness and you will be taking the photos instead of hiring a professional, then you need to ask someone else in your office to help you out.

I'll admit this is a pet peeve after an agent listed my parents' lake house. It was a pretty contemporary that was nicely (and minimally) decorated. We had some workers in to fix a seam in the ceiling and they moved the furniture all around. The agent was chomping at the bit to get the house listed, so she proceeded to take pictures of the house with her cellphone and without putting any of the furniture back where it belonged. She also kept all the blinds closed when the home had a beautiful lake view. One picture was of the hall bathroom with the lid up on the unflushed toilet (the contractors obviously hadn't turned on the water to the toilet and didn't ask about it, just left it). I went ballistic.

The next listing agent was wonderful and knew how to make sure everything was right before the professional photographer came in. She worked hard and sold the house in a matter of a month or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla
3,940 posts, read 6,403,093 times
Reputation: 1425
Simple solution

if you don't like the photos....take them yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2018, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
19,057 posts, read 10,086,762 times
Reputation: 27914
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Simple solution

if you don't like the photos....take them yourself
Simple solution, I'll just keep a big chunk of the commission then, if a real estate agent can't be arsed to provide the services they are getting paid for, and to do a good job of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top