Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Has anyone used FSBO and been happy with their decision: or, is it better to use an agent when selling a property?
So here is my experience as an agent who shows lots of FSBO homes to clients.

About 10% of sellers (FSBO or not) are perfectly capable of doing a good to excellent job representing themselves without support.
Another 10-15% need some support to sell themselves (attorney or real estate agent to handle paperwork).
The rest really need help from start to finish.

Successful sellers that represent themselves do the following:

1) They know how to get their homes ready for sale.
2) They make it easy to show the home.
3) They know how to take decent photos/hire a pro to take photos.
4) They don't stalk you when showing their home.
5) They don't oversell their home. They point out the positives but don't spend hours trying to convince you their home is the best thing ever.
6) They answer all questions honestly and respectfully. They don't get offended when you ask about anything.
7) They are current on requirements for selling a home.
8) They take negotiations in stride and don't get dramatic and irritated when things aren't going their way.
9) They understand timelines.
10) They are flexible and willing to work together with agents.

So if you are a reasonable person who understands the real estate process, takes things in stride, is organized, and respectful, you will be fine selling your own home.

If your instinct is to try and bend others to submission, to send pissy emails asserting your dominance, refuse to solve problems, refuse to comply with your state laws, not organized, on and on...well, then good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
What’s #7? If I hold the deed to a property I can sell it.

Or are you talking about FHA/VA requirements, etc?

Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Many have the perception that FSBO is an 'easy' way to save RE fees on a sale. The fact is that many things look easier than they really are.

Realtors would not continue to make 5-6-percent on real estate sales if it was simply a matter of putting a 'For Sale' sign in one's yard.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
What’s #7? If I hold the deed to a property I can sell it.

Or are you talking about FHA/VA requirements, etc?
State requirements. So in Oregon, you are required to remove any non-EPA certified woodstoves, have the proper smoke and CO detectors, water quality testing for wells, well tags, etc.

I am sure other states have requirements that have to happen when real estate changes hands?

Old 05-15-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
State requirements. So in Oregon, you are required to remove any non-EPA certified woodstoves, have the proper smoke and CO detectors, water quality testing for wells, well tags, etc.

I am sure other states have requirements that have to happen when real estate changes hands?
I guess so? TX is pretty damn free-wheeling, for a cash deal you don’t really need anything other than title.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
I guess so? TX is pretty damn free-wheeling, for a cash deal you don’t really need anything other than title.
I can see Texas and some traditionally conservative states not having any state requirements.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I can see Texas and some traditionally conservative states not having any state requirements.
Yeah. I can see people trying to run an FSBO with regs like that going sideways.

Give the government an inch... they’ll find a taxable solution.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Has anyone used FSBO and been happy with their decision: or, is it better to use an agent when selling a property?
based upon your other real estate thread, I'm going to say that using a qualified agent is your best bet. Condominium Frustration

1. you don't have a lot of experience under your belt navigating real estate transactions.
2. trying to sell a condo has unique challenges of marketing and oftentimes access.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

About 10% of sellers (FSBO or not) are perfectly capable of doing a good to excellent job representing themselves without support.
Another 10-15% need some support to sell themselves (attorney or real estate agent to handle paperwork).

5) They don't oversell their home. They point out the positives but don't spend hours trying to convince you their home is the best thing ever.
6) They answer all questions honestly and respectfully. They don't get offended when you ask about anything.
8) They take negotiations in stride and don't get dramatic and irritated when things aren't going their way.

So if you are a reasonable person who understands the real estate process, takes things in stride, is organized, and respectful, you will be fine selling your own home.

If your instinct is to try and bend others to submission, to send pissy emails asserting your dominance, refuse to solve problems, refuse to comply with your state laws, not organized, on and on...well, then good luck with that.
My attitude towards the buyer will be in direct correlation to their attitude towards me. If they are disorganized and don’t have their crap together I’ll most likely want out of the deal and simply won’t agree to any compensation or flexibility.
It’s the same with agents. When 8 was looking for a house I had multiple agents 8 worked with. Some simply wanted a quick sale and could of cared less if I actually bought a home I wanted. They just wanted to make any sale and get their commission and on to the next one. I had one agent pressure me on the first house I looked at.

I told EVERY agent I met with that I have certain needs wants and desires. Until I find that house don’t pressure me into a purchase. I have great credit money and all my ducks are in a row. Some chose the pressure tactic and I simply told them their services aren’t needed any longer.
Buying a house is stressful enough without your agent pressuring you.

Would I pay a buyers agent? Sure. If the agent brings a great buyer not some marginal desperado.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
or just re-read this post.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate