U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM

2,946 posts, read 1,442,308 times

Advertisements

12' - 14' aluminum boat....just pull it unto the land. No storage problems at all. Or even a dinghy with a motor. This is so easy and can be solved starting at $1000 plus. You just need a boat for unforeseen emergencies like medical or whatever.

Really old homes can be so charming but can be a large money pit. This got me to thinking about Nova Scotia. I do not like the mega trends of modern civilization. At 59, retirement looms and I like peace, quiet, and nature x 10.

Many of this threads posters are really out of line....sounding like a busy body relative that thinks they know what is best for everybody. I see many listed negatives as huge positives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 03:30 PM

858 posts, read 479,136 times
Warning - people who worry about bragging needs to stop reading this thread. It's only gonna get worse.

There are at least three properties being sold that have an island plus a lot on the mainland. In two cases the mainland lot has a dock. People set that up because that arrangement obviously offer convenient access. This gave me an idea: Why not buy a house on the mainland side, even better if oceanfront, close to the island property? So I started to look at houses on the mainland side too. And as my earlier example shows, this can be very affordable in that part of the world.

Many houses are relatively cheap there. Some houses are old, probably unfit for living in, but my goal is not to live in there but to store the small boat and to access the island. So what looks like junk to some, is acceptable to me.

My concerns are these:

1. If the mainland house becomes too run-down, repair will be inevitable and that's a hassle and cost.

2. Vandals/theft/squatters. Will have to look into property crime rates in the neighborhoods and any squatter laws in Canada. (anyone knows?)

Old 05-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
12' - 14' aluminum boat....just pull it unto the land. No storage problems at all. Or even a dinghy with a motor. This is so easy and can be solved starting at $1000 plus. You just need a boat for unforeseen emergencies like medical or whatever.

Really old homes can be so charming but can be a large money pit. This got me to thinking about Nova Scotia. I do not like the mega trends of modern civilization. At 59, retirement looms and I like peace, quiet, and nature x 10.

Many of this threads posters are really out of line....sounding like a busy body relative that thinks they know what is best for everybody. I see many listed negatives as huge positives.
I'm glad this gives you some ideas. Everyone enjoys nature but wilderness is an acquired taste. Only we know how good this can be.

Last edited by rhbj03; 05-24-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 PM

7,790 posts, read 6,149,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Did I post details of my target property?
I'm not the typical CD housing stalker who deduces details, but yours was pretty clear. and intriguing to see what interested you.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm not the typical CD housing stalker who deduces details, but yours was pretty clear. and intriguing to see what interested you.
There are actually a few options that I am still weighing, thus even I don't know what the final selection will be. I am part tempted part weary about posting the options here for opinions.

And yes all have docks around; some are closer by but I don't know if they are private or what. Access is part of my research.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 PM

2,946 posts, read 1,442,308 times
Curious about crime, please let us know. I'm guessing it is pretty low for several reasons.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 PM

4,483 posts, read 7,956,389 times
A house with acreage and a gate is just like living on an island....... but without the logistical nightmares.

I used to visit a camp on an island. Once you got there it was nice, just annoying to do any kind of food shopping, propane, gas, etc. pack it on the boat, haul it up, etc. Bad weather was always an issue to get back to the mainland. Many times you had to wait out the storm.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
A house with acreage and a gate is just like living on an island....... but without the logistical nightmares.

I used to visit a camp on an island. Once you got there it was nice, just annoying to do any kind of food shopping, propane, gas, etc. pack it on the boat, haul it up, etc. Bad weather was always an issue to get back to the mainland. Many times you had to wait out the storm.
I have one of those set up. It just got broken into and all valuables and non-valuables taken, including half consumed cooking oil and old clothing . Some people...

An island is needed for the true escape.

Last edited by rhbj03; 05-25-2018 at 03:21 AM..

Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

Yes you are right on the hassles. The flip side is, you can have your undisturbed paradise. Question for each person is whether it's worth the hassle.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 AM

31,649 posts, read 55,416,037 times
Atlantis.
I want Atlantis...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or