U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 AM

4,250 posts, read 1,574,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Some islands are very cheap:

Private islands that cost less than a Manhattan apartment | Fox News

Of course, the cheap ones definitely have some real big drawbacks; for example some are in Canada where it is very cold. But islands can be as cheap as 100-200K USD.

I have a little spare money. I already have a few houses, I don't need another house. I am seriously considering buying something in the 300K range, just for the joy of owning such an unique property. I may go visit it once or twice a year. Is this a crazy move?

I figure, in the worst case scenario, I won't be able to sell it and will get stuck with it forever. That doesn't bother me one bit. Seems like a pretty safe investment to me.

What do you think?
It's your money and your decision, but it wouldn't make much sense if that island costs you more to own than you can afford to spend on it year after year after year. Personally, the only reason I would want to buy an island is to prevent it from being bulldozed, destroyed, or built on just to stroke some land baron's ego. I would want to keep it in natural condition with it's native species able to exist in peace. Just to be able to tell other people I own it wouldn't be enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,779,491 times
Quote:
Not really throwing away.... I get a piece of land that will last millions of years. Seems much better than most of the junk people spend money on.
If the piece of land you buy is on the Moon, it will last for even longer because there is no bad weather, no global warming, and no nuclear wars. There isn't even any property tax! And there is less competition for the property. Buy!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:56 AM

178 posts, read 69,782 times
If I can afford yes I buy. Turn it into a resort.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM

10,276 posts, read 6,528,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Anyone who is seriously considering, and able to afford a private island, should do whatever the hell they want.
As for me, I don't give a damn what you do.
He didn't ask if you cared he asked if it was crazy. If you didn't care you shouldn't respond.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,227,191 times
I'd like to buy an island someday, but realistically that's probably not in the cards for me, as the location I want and build out I'm looking for start at about $2 million. That would give me a small island of a couple acres, with electricity/water already developed. I've watched Island Hunters enough to see that's about what it would cost. If you've found something you like at a price you can afford, I say go for it.

I'll probably have to settle for beachfront somewhere.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 AM

11,085 posts, read 9,024,612 times
It is your money to spend as you please. More power to you!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 AM

858 posts, read 478,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'd like to buy an island someday, but realistically that's probably not in the cards for me, as the location I want and build out I'm looking for start at about $2 million. That would give me a small island of a couple acres, with electricity/water already developed. I've watched Island Hunters enough to see that's about what it would cost. If you've found something you like at a price you can afford, I say go for it.

I'll probably have to settle for beachfront somewhere.
It would be nice to get a $1 mil+ island; it would be in a warm area and close enough to home. But then it's 1 mil+. We all have to weigh what we must have and what we can sacrifice. If 1 mil will kill the idea, then the only option is something farther, colder, smaller, but for $200K to 300K only. That's where I am right now.

My order of sacrifice is:

Distance
Size
Weather

Seems to me, as long as you can own an island, no matter how far, how small, or how cold, you've clinched a new level, and are in a very select circle. I don't know why not more people jump on these properties, as I know there are a lot of rich people out there.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
If I can afford yes I buy. Turn it into a resort.
You will need a lot of capital for that. If successful it could be fun and profitable. But there is more risk and it is work!

What I have in mind by comparison is a very affordable and low risk fun.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
If the piece of land you buy is on the Moon, it will last for even longer because there is no bad weather, no global warming, and no nuclear wars. There isn't even any property tax! And there is less competition for the property. Buy!
Well put. I get the point.

Hence, it's important that an island property has SOME usability to me. I need to realistically be able to visit it maybe 2 times a year.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,982,225 times
Quote:
Some islands are very cheap:

Private islands that cost less than a Manhattan apartment | Fox News

Of course, the cheap ones definitely have some real big drawbacks; for example some are in Canada where it is very cold. But islands can be as cheap as 100-200K USD.

I have a little spare money. I already have a few houses, I don't need another house. I am seriously considering buying something in the 300K range, just for the joy of owning such an unique property. I may go visit it once or twice a year. Is this a crazy move?

I figure, in the worst case scenario, I won't be able to sell it and will get stuck with it forever. That doesn't bother me one bit. Seems like a pretty safe investment to me.

What do you think?

I think it's brilliant. Let's go halfsies. Split the cost. And the island. I've already got a name for my half of the island.

Perhaps I'll then become The Crazy Cat Lady™.

Can I bring my cats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or