U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 05:13 PM

2,929 posts, read 1,431,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Folks, believe it or not, I have found something I can pull trigger on right now. Forgive me for not wanting to fully identify which property before a deal is struck or the idea is abandoned; but I can say it is in Nova Scotia.

Yes it is cold there in the depth of winter, but from May to October temperature is pleasant; I think that offers enough usage. This is not just for bragging rights; I am an outdoor enthusiasts, fisherman, ocean diver (skin and scuba), deer hunter, photographer; I know I will truly enjoy this place.

With this weather drawback, the benefit is the island is fairly large at an affordable price. And there is a small town nearby.

The final detail to work out -- and this seems a tricky one -- is how in the world I would get on the island. I'm sure there is a way; I just need to figure that out. Maybe hire some local boater to take me there, and at the pre-agreed time come pick me up... I don't know.

Does anyone know how it is to live in Nova Scotia? I lived in New York City for about 6 years and traveled as far north as Boston so the cold winter will not surprise me (even though I don't want to be there in the winter). The rest about the area is kind of a blank.

Also, is the ocean off the eastern coast as rich in terms of animal life as the west coast? On west coast we have salmon, rockfish (Sebastes), octopus, abalone, lobsters, scallops and mussels within 100' from shore. How is it on the east coast's water? (I ask this because ocean water looks very very flat around there; almost like a lake; just doesn't look as vibrant as west coast ocean.)
No research done but a few thoughts:

1) The temperature will largely be a product of the surrounding ocean. It might be pretty nice during the winter compared to what you are thinking.

2) Great lobster country.

3) Scuba diving? Send us pics. With a dry suit....sure.

4) The water is colder so the aquatic life may be more drab in coloration I suspect. Should be excellent fishing pretty close.

5) If one can afford an island, they can surely afford a boat. Buy a used one maybe 5-10 years old for best investment and reliability...generally speaking. Good name brand that has been around and will be around so people know how to service it. Boats are a blast and so easy to learn. Start off with a manageable size though. One you can operate yourself.

There has been several thousand dead sea animals turning up in the area. I would research that a bit. Could have been a naval explosion or a thousand other things...

EDIT: As a prepper, I would evaluate such an island as a potentially great bug out location. You probably don't concern yourself with the fact that things are generally flying apart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 05:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 2,891,028 times
Quote:
Not really throwing away.... I get a piece of land that will last millions of years. Seems much better than most of the junk people spend money on.
News Flash, you arenít going to live millions of years. Iím sure you could find better use of the money.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
News Flash, you arenít going to live millions of years. Iím sure you could find better use of the money.
So real estate is a bad buy because it outlasts the buyer? Many fortunes have been made in real estate.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 PM

858 posts, read 476,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
With global warming you're sure to be underwater figuratively and literally on your investment.

GL!
It has a elevation peak of 30 meters. I will let others worry about global warming =)

I am sure someone will solve the problem for me.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:19 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
Quote:

I am sure someone will solve the problem for me.
Why?

Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
No research done but a few thoughts:

5) If one can afford an island, they can surely afford a boat. Buy a used one maybe 5-10 years old for best investment and reliability...generally speaking. Good name brand that has been around and will be around so people know how to service it. Boats are a blast and so easy to learn. Start off with a manageable size though. One you can operate yourself.

rt...
It's not only the boat, where am I gonna house it? Who will maintain it so it's in running condition when needed? How to prevent theft?

But I do need a boat also to get out on water too. So this takes a little thinking.

In another post you mentioned about West Coast. West side is my preference too but all affordable islands are too far north and too much into the wilderness. We are talking about 2-300 miles north of Vancouver. That's why I settle for nova Scotia. I can fly into Halifax, rent a car, drive for an hour and I am at the waters edge. All easily doable up to this point.

Just need to figure out the last mile.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Why?
Because we have concerned citizens such as yourself demanding political leaders do something about global warming. (thank you! )

Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 PM

11,047 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
What good are they if you can't build on them, you won't have water or electricity. You can live without electric but you can't live without water. It's not an investment it's a game for people with too much money who want to throw it away.
Off grid living is not that difficult, and it can be less expensive than you might think. If you are an island, all you need is a RO water system if you are on salt water, or a filter and purification system if you are on fresh water. Solar and propane will give you all the comforts of urban living. There are many modern options for sewage treatment. A couple satellite dishes will give you TV and internet, and Skype will provide phone service. There are some very nice island estates out there.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
It's not only the boat, where am I gonna house it? Who will maintain it so it's in running condition when needed? How to prevent theft?

But I do need a boat also to get out on water too. So this takes a little thinking.

In another post you mentioned about West Coast. West side is my preference too but all affordable islands are too far north and too much into the wilderness. We are talking about 2-300 miles north of Vancouver. That's why I settle for nova Scotia. I can fly into Halifax, rent a car, drive for an hour and I am at the waters edge. All easily doable up to this point.

Just need to figure out the last mile.

Owning and using a boat isn't hard, it is a necessity if living on an island without ferry service. Join a boating forum, read a book. Better yet, find a boating skills course. Best if it is live and hands on....the only way I would do it.

Start off small so you can easily do everything without help. Like 14-16' feet. That is all you need to get to your island anyway. Shoot....a raft with a motor would work fine.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:56 AM

11,064 posts, read 8,986,001 times
How far from mainland? Buy a canoe lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or