Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would hesitate to say most contracts have an appraisal clause/contingency. We're back to "in my market" or "in my state".

Asking price is 90K.
they've offered 100K, with an appraisal cap of $3K over appraised value.

IF the Seller accepts, and the house actually appraises for $95K somehow, then the sales price will be amended to $98K. If it appraises for $110K, the price is still just $100K.

And the Bank lends on the $95K, so they actually have to come up with a weeeee little bit more than the $3K extra.
I thought this was based on the seller's appraisal and not the banks. If the bank's appraisal comes in low that's a problem too, but a good way to let the buyer's appraiser that another one will be done in case they are planning something shady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
I would hesitate to say most contracts have an appraisal clause/contingency. We're back to "in my market" or "in my state".

Asking price is 90K.
they've offered 100K, with an appraisal cap of $3K over appraised value.

IF the Seller accepts, and the house actually appraises for $95K somehow, then the sales price will be amended to $98K. If it appraises for $110K, the price is still just $100K.

And the Bank lends on the $95K, so they actually have to come up with a weeeee little bit more than the $3K extra.
Appraisals are required for financing so even if there isn't an explicit one written into a contract, it would impact financing. It's in there directly or indirectly via a financing clause. You can't force people to bring in cash they don't have.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
there's not a financing contingency - in fact, a specific NON-contingency - "in my market".

There used to be, until about 5 years ago.

we do have due diligence, which generally runs 3 weeks so a Buyer can get an appraisal.

But "in my market", the Buyer has NO contingency in the standard contract. They're buying it as-is, and without loan contingency. They get a due diligence period to decide if condition and value match up to their willingness to buy the home.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
there's not a financing contingency - in fact, a specific NON-contingency - "in my market".

we do have due diligence, which generally runs 3 weeks so a Buyer can get an appraisal.

But "in my market", the Buyer has NO contingency in the standard contract. They're buying it as-is, and without loan contingency. They get a due diligence period to decide if condition and value match up to their willingness to buy the home.
It's actually a wonderful system, and I commend NC REC, NC Bar Association, and NCAR for bringing it about.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It's actually a wonderful system, and I commend NC REC, NC Bar Association, and NCAR for bringing it about.
What happens if the house doesn't appraise for the amount it needed to for the buyer to get the financing they need to afford the home? Do they have to just walk away and lose their earnest money?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My daughter is buying a house in Aurora CO (Denver). They made an offer for XX dollars or $3000 over appraisal. Lets say the offer is $100,000.

If the house appraises for $90,000, they buy it for $93,000. If it appraises for $190,000 they buy it for $100,000 (or $103,000 - that is not clear to me). I have not seen or heard of this process before, is this normal in a super hot market?
I sure hope the agent who wrote the offer did a better job of putting into words than you did. The way you wrote it, if it appraises for $190,000 they are locked in to pay $193,000.

I wouldn't accept it, but you never know, someone might get talked into it.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What happens if the house doesn't appraise for the amount it needed to for the buyer to get the financing they need to afford the home? Do they have to just walk away and lose their earnest money?
they lose their due diligence fee. we also have earnest money, but it's not "at peril" under the due diligence period is over. our due diligence periods are running <10 days on really hot properties with cash buyers, to as long as 30 days when non-conventional financing is involved. Of course, the seller has to agree to the period of time.

Buyers have to be prepared:

1. nothing requires the Seller to make any repair; but they (or the agent) would have to disclose defects going forward.
2. nothing requires the seller to come down on the contract price should it under-appraise; but they have a good idea the appraised value for any other offers that include financing.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Buyer has the right to make up the difference, and the seller has the right to help or to decline.
Otherwise, what Bo said.

A good idea of valuation is something all buyers should have before proceeding.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:35 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
they lose their due diligence fee. we also have earnest money, but it's not "at peril" under the due diligence period is over. our due diligence periods are running <10 days on really hot properties with cash buyers, to as long as 30 days when non-conventional financing is involved. Of course, the seller has to agree to the period of time.

Buyers have to be prepared:

1. nothing requires the Seller to make any repair; but they (or the agent) would have to disclose defects going forward.
2. nothing requires the seller to come down on the contract price should it under-appraise; but they have a good idea the appraised value for any other offers that include financing.
So what is a standard "due diligence fee"? That's not a fee in the jurisdictions I'm familiar with.

And yes, I understand what no contingencies means, I was just asking about the consequences of a house not appraising when a mortgage is involved. And in very few places (any?) is a seller obligated to come down on the contract price if the house doesn't appraise, that's not part of a standard financing contingency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Buyer has the right to make up the difference, and the seller has the right to help or to decline.
Otherwise, what Bo said.

A good idea of valuation is something all buyers should have before proceeding.
Yes, of course prospective buyers should have "an idea" of the value. But obviously that's a subjective opinion and my idea of the value may not be the same as the mortgage lender's idea.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
So what is a standard "due diligence fee"? That's not a fee in the jurisdictions I'm familiar with.

And yes, I understand what no contingencies means, I was just asking about the consequences of a house not appraising when a mortgage is involved. And in very few places (any?) is a seller obligated to come down on the contract price if the house doesn't appraise, that's not part of a standard financing contingency
The DD Fee was originally intended to be the legendary "consideration in lieu of nothing," merely to avoid illusory contracts. It is a blank, i.e., negotiable field on our standard forms.
I.e., $10--$20. It was often $50--$100 until sellers got a lot more leverage.
Now? It is nuts. Thousands of dollars is not uncommon.
Under $1000? Must be a very minimal property.

You have to buy a contract to do an inspection here anymore. And, sellers get cranky because a three hour inspection finds stuff they have ignored for 20 years and hoped your inspector would miss, too...

Quote:
Yes, of course prospective buyers should have "an idea" of the value. But obviously that's a subjective opinion and my idea of the value may not be the same as the mortgage lender's idea.
I mean a really really good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate