U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:54 PM

7,879 posts, read 6,214,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yeah, screw that agent and call up the listing agent on each of the properties you want to see.

The listing agent has the dog in the race.
and be prepared to be even more ignored on a holiday weekend, if you go on a holiday weekend. Think of the numbers of folks who go to a beach, see a sign, and call. and have no intention of buying. and get ignored. unless on your voicemail you begin with "We're in town and brought a certified check and we are buying this weekend."

Or call them with "we're thinking about moving to town an in-town for 2 days. Can you show us your listing today? We're setting up all our showings through the listing agent because we don't need our own agent"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 02:32 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,748,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you only have a 3 day holiday weekend to find a house you are the only one to blame. On top of that you pick an agent who is new to the area. Amateurs and newbies go to the beach on crazy holidays.
SOMETIMES one does not really have a choice.

I was working for the federal government and transferred to a location about 2000 miles away. The two agencies I was transferring between negotiated when I had 5 days to travel to secure lodging (aka house hunting). They picked the week before Thanksgiving, not T-Day week, but the week fully before. I then had to return to my old house for movers to come at the end of that week/weekend to pack. Then Monday of T-Day week I started driving to the new house. T-day was spent in a hotel. I had to report to my new location the Friday after T-Day, just report in for security, not work that day, but move into the house after reporting in.

They picked that as it was a good scheduling time for them. It was not a good time for me.

But I did choose a house, and it closed escrow EIGHT DAYS after I signed the contract, with T-Day in the 8 days. It closed the Friday after T-Day.!

It also helped in that I could look at a lot of houses quickly. The realtor was awful, thinking I was going to buy one of her dead listings...houses with big issues, but I was not stupid and showed her the houses I wanted to see after the first day. I was firm, 'show me these houses or I will find someone who will'. (The agency had a contract that supplied relocation assistance and gave the referral for the realtor.) She complied and I choose a house that was not a fixer upper.

It happened that the owner was transferred by his company and the relocation included buying his house, so it was held by a company, maybe prudential that wanted to sell it fast. And they had just done all the inspections, termite work, etc, so all was good to go there. And my credit was excellent. And my house was bought as part of my transfer by Prudential.

There were alternatives if the house did not close quickly, as the agencies pushed the house hunting trip to the end. I could have lived in a hotel for a month or two, but a hotel with 2 kids and 3 cats over the holidays and both kids birthdays did not sound like fun to me.

Sometimes the stars just align correctly.

But that was an awful hectic schedule to house hunt and move!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:22 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,122,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My husband and I are looking for out of state retirement property, and we are going on a scouting trip in about ten days. About three weeks ago, I e-mailed a Realtor in the area based on excellent Zillow reviews, and told her what we were looking for and gave her a list of about five properties that we would consider, and asked if she would like to be our buyers agent. She said she would, but to contact her closer to the time we would be leaving. Nothing was signed.

So I sent her another e-mail two days ago and left a phone message two hours ago, but she has not replied. As we are out of state, as I said, communication is very important to us. Now I realize that she might be busy, might have been sick, might have been out of town, etc., but is it too much to expect at least a one or two sentence reply acknowledging my e-mail and saying when she would get back to me?

If I don't hear from her by the end of today, I am thinking about telling her to never mind (and contacting another Realtor), but if we then use another Realtor, I am afraid of making an enemy, as we are talking about a small resort town in which "everyone knows everyone".

Any advice appreciated.

That's why I got rid of my last attorney. Can't return a call at the start... what will you do if I'm in a pinch?
They should be wooing you at the dating stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate