Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:46 PM

857 posts, read 959,004 times

Advertisements

Some islands are very cheap:

Private islands that cost less than a Manhattan apartment | Fox News

Of course, the cheap ones definitely have some real big drawbacks; for example some are in Canada where it is very cold. But islands can be as cheap as 100-200K USD.

I have a little spare money. I already have a few houses, I don't need another house. I am seriously considering buying something in the 300K range, just for the joy of owning such an unique property. I may go visit it once or twice a year. Is this a crazy move?

I figure, in the worst case scenario, I won't be able to sell it and will get stuck with it forever. That doesn't bother me one bit. Seems like a pretty safe investment to me.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post

Of course, the cheap ones definitely have some real big drawbacks; for example some are in Canada where it is very cold. But islands can be as cheap as 100-200K USD.

I have a little spare money. I already have a few houses, I don't need another house. I am seriously considering buying something in the 300K range, just for the joy of owning such an unique property. I may go visit it once or twice a year. Is this a crazy move?

I figure, in the worst case scenario, I won't be able to sell it and will get stuck with it forever. That doesn't bother me one bit. Seems like a pretty safe investment to me.

What do you think?
What good are they if you can't build on them, you won't have water or electricity. You can live without electric but you can't live without water. It's not an investment it's a game for people with too much money who want to throw it away.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:58 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Yes.

Next question?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM

857 posts, read 959,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
What good are they if you can't build on them, you won't have water or electricity. You can live without electric but you can't live without water. It's not an investment it's a game for people with too much money who want to throw it away.
Not really throwing away.... I get a piece of land that will last millions of years. Seems much better than most of the junk people spend money on.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:31 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Not really throwing away.... I get a piece of land that will last millions of years. Seems much better than most of the junk people spend money on.
Yasss just doooo it!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
The ultimate in exotic camping!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:53 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
But then you have to discover immortality to enjoy it. If you do you will be a trillionaire and can buy a whole Island nation.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:42 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Is it going to require a really long ladder?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Anyone who is seriously considering, and able to afford a private island, should do whatever the hell they want.
As for me, I don't give a damn what you do.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:14 PM

534 posts, read 489,124 times
Quote:

What do you think?
What doubts are you having? Meaning, what is the reason(s) you have not yet bought an island? If you thought it was a genuinely wholly swell idea, you'd already be signing the paperwork. Also, your worst case scenario...things that immediately come to mind as worse (to me) than being stuck with unsellable real estate: Contamination, possible marine jurisdictional political problems (re: Sealand), squatters, pirates, etc....those could happen, yes? It's in the reasonable realm of possibility.

Me? If I desired my own island, I'd find someone who already lived the dream and bought their island and is over it and onto their next dream and I'd rent or lease experience before tying down $300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate