U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 PM

469 posts, read 905,782 times

Advertisements

I found small wood acreage in a rural community and having never purchased raw land before have Q:

Do I need liability insurance on vacant land? Neighboring lands do hunting and I plan to do also as well as other recreational use but will not occupy it at least until I decide to retire.
I plan to post 'No Tresspassing, No Hunting' signs and will not give permission for hunting outside myself and family visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 PM

16,491 posts, read 17,513,441 times
We had some land in such situation. We never carried any insurance as there is no structure to insure and it’s fenced and posted no trespassing

Old 05-26-2018, 06:42 AM

2,663 posts, read 2,771,500 times
And if one of your 'family visitors gets injured badly and has to get medevaced out who pays the bills?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 AM

64,577 posts, read 66,100,109 times
air ambulance may be included in your health insurance . check the policy

Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 AM

2,663 posts, read 2,771,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
air ambulance may be included in your health insurance . check the policy

It may be part of MY health insurance but what about cousin Joe who is the family skinflint and will see this as a cheap vacation spot? Or Aunt Lucy who's husband died after retiring from a now defunct factory? I've also seen insurance companies go after the owner of the property where an accident happened so they can reduce their costs.

And when you post it make sure you meet all the requirements for posting. If someone comes on the property from the back side where you don't have signs their lawyer could have a case. And even if they don't have a good case who pays for the lawyer to defend you?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 AM

there are always what if's in life and you can't and shouldn't insure against every what if scenario we can dream up. come on over to the investing forums . we have posters that devote their lives to the visions of doom scenarios they come up with in their heads and it ends up leaving them quite poorer for those thoughts since they only think about the negatives of investing whether these visions are plausible or not .

i would never insure empty land because a thought pops in my head about someone being air lifted out . but you can always add it to an umbrella policy .

Old 05-26-2018, 07:05 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,495,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I found small wood acreage in a rural community and having never purchased raw land before have Q:

Do I need liability insurance on vacant land? Neighboring lands do hunting and I plan to do also as well as other recreational use but will not occupy it at least until I decide to retire.
I plan to post 'No Tresspassing, No Hunting' signs and will not give permission for hunting outside myself and family visitors.
Price the coverage, since you are concerned and the odds of something happening are small the rates should not be high, it may be worth the peace of mind.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 AM

4,480 posts, read 7,937,629 times
Lets say someone fell in a little hole and broke a leg, sues you and wins, you could be looking at $100,000 judgement, and paying for your own lawyer on top of that.

Or even simpler..... someone gets hurt, sues you and looses. You still need to pay your lawyer. That could easily cost $25,000.

Might cost $300 a year. Pretty easy decision if you ask me. Years ago I would have said no, but today's society sues everyone and goes after anyone with assets.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 AM

the problem is most people do not insure against the things that are more likely to happen like their own long term care . to start worrying about the fringes of remote things happening is really secondary only after you mitigate the real dangers of what is more likely to happen .

there is no end to the things we can insure against . aflac became very successful scaring people in to insuring things that sound horrific but have little chance of playing out while still working age and covered . . .our brains are great at coming up with all kinds of horrible scenario's that likely will never play-out .

Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,742,027 times
Exclamation Varies by state (e.g. NH RSA 508:14)

Liability, or lack thereof, may be limited under state law. YMMV.

Doesn't mean that somebody won't be able to find a lawyer to go after you, but does make it highly unlikely an insurance company is going to fund a lawsuit after their own lawyers tell them they cannot win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I've also seen insurance companies go after the owner of the property where an accident happened so they can reduce their costs.

And when you post it make sure you meet all the requirements for posting. If someone comes on the property from the back side where you don't have signs their lawyer could have a case.
In New Hampshire, you don't have to post your land to be shielded from liability.

Under RSA 212:34, there is no "duty of care" unless you go out of your way to create or maintain a hazard. And RSA 508:14 says that unless you're charging for access, allowing recreational access doesn't incur liability "An owner, occupant, or lessee of land, including the state or any political subdivision, who without charge permits any person to use land for recreational purposes or as a spectator of recreational activity, shall not be liable for personal injury or property damage in the absence of intentionally caused injury or damage. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or