Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times

Advertisements

So we're in Arizona searching for our next house. DH got the idea of going to open houses this weekend, so he made a list from Trulia.

First house: OK from the outside. Once in the back yard, OMG what is that thing the neighbor is building?! It's a two-story RV garage/upstairs office with windows directly facing the house's pool area. Creepy. We'd never feel like we could relax. (Maybe this is why the house is for sale. Ya think?)

Second house: DH swears up and down Trulia listed an open house at this address. No open house signs, though. We park and knock. No answer but door is unlocked. We go in and call "Hello?" No one around. Some glossy flyers on the kitchen counter. We can hear the dryer running. We go outside and around to the pool, where we find a naked woman sunbathing. She scrambles to cover herself and says, "Did you have an appointment? Showings are only by appointment."

DH thinks she was the agent and decided that since no one was coming, might as well catch a few rays.

Third house: No one there. We don't try the door. Many people are armed in this state.

Fourth house: There's an agent here. Enormous lot, all bare dirt and weeds. The house is stiflingly hot. The agent informs us that the owner cut the power to the A/C. Nothing -- and I do mean nothing -- in this house has been updated since the Seventies. It's like opening a time capsule and finding a 40 year old Big Mac. It may be vintage but you don't want to touch it.

Lesson learned: Don't depend on Trulia for open house listings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:40 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So we're in Arizona searching for our next house. DH got the idea of going to open houses this weekend, so he made a list from Trulia.

First house: OK from the outside. Once in the back yard, OMG what is that thing the neighbor is building?! It's a two-story RV garage/upstairs office with windows directly facing the house's pool area. Creepy. We'd never feel like we could relax. (Maybe this is why the house is for sale. Ya think?)

Second house: DH swears up and down Trulia listed an open house at this address. No open house signs, though. We park and knock. No answer but door is unlocked. We go in and call "Hello?" No one around. Some glossy flyers on the kitchen counter. We can hear the dryer running. We go outside and around to the pool, where we find a naked woman sunbathing. She scrambles to cover herself and says, "Did you have an appointment? Showings are only by appointment."

DH thinks she was the agent and decided that since no one was coming, might as well catch a few rays.

Third house: No one there. We don't try the door. Many people are armed in this state.

Fourth house: There's an agent here. Enormous lot, all bare dirt and weeds. The house is stiflingly hot. The agent informs us that the owner cut the power to the A/C. Nothing -- and I do mean nothing -- in this house has been updated since the Seventies. It's like opening a time capsule and finding a 40 year old Big Mac. It may be vintage but you don't want to touch it.

Lesson learned: Don't depend on Trulia for open house listings.
Hilarious! Thanks for the images!

Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
So really only one place that didn't have an open house despite the naked realtor. Thats funny, you would think you'd be careful to lock the door before stripping down!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:12 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
You know... you didn't do too bad for a day! So did you like the naked woman house? Or did you even notice it?

Old 05-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You know... you didn't do too bad for a day! So did you like the naked woman house? Or did you even notice it?
Once we had the encounter with Miss Suntan 2018, we skedaddled out of there, since we'd already seen much more than we bargained for.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So really only one place that didn't have an open house despite the naked realtor.

Yeah, at the other the house was open and so was the maybe-realtor!

Old 05-27-2018, 11:38 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times
I'm not sure where you are looking, but the Sierra Vista Herald has a great real estate listing section. I would think the other cities/towns would also. Maybe check out the newspapers rather than trulia.

Great stories. I wonder why that one neighbor would build with the windows facing the pool next door? Unless it was the best sunset or mountain view. Still.. And the naked lady one was hilarious.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:50 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
I think it is really creepy that you walked into someone's house with no open house sign. And consumers wonder why buyers can't just access houses like they can with OpenDoor. How hard would it have been to call the listing office/agent to confirm? I'm creeped out reading your story.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Today's follies...

Arrived at 11 am for an open house we really wanted to see. No one showed. We left after half an hour, because we had an agent showing to get to next.

THAT house we've made an offer on.

Whoever the idiot was who published the open house and didn't follow through missed a commission on a $1 million-plus house. Serves 'em right.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,267,271 times
There's a new construction house in my neighborhood that's been finished and listed for quite some time. Overpriced in IMO, and on the second brokerage/agent (I think). Not sodded, not fenced, and the only half-assed effort I've seen them make to clean up the lot is the two times they've put an open house sign in the yard. Neither of those times was the house actually open. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate