U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 11:38 AM

1,326 posts, read 526,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I understand that. But I have a tight schedule for the next week or so and have made that clear to my agent, who has told the other agents. I don't mind if someone goes a few minutes over. But, if someone is really interested and wants to see the property for longer than their appointment time, they still need to respect my wishes. If an agent asks for a 1 hour appointment, they should not expect the seller to vacate their house indefinitely and just wait until they're done. It is their job to make sure the potential buyers understand that they need to stick to the appointment time, give or take a few minutes, and if they need longer it will take a 2nd appointment due to the seller's work schedule.
The first house I sold, the people stayed in the house for several hours. It wasn't a big house. They were the first to look and they bought it. Deal with it, expect a 2 hour appointment even if they say an hour. Ask the agent to ring you when they are done. If they want to come back, they are interested, so plan the appointment at a time when you can give them several hours to look at it. Selling a house is inconvenient, but if you want to sell you need to deal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
I understand that selling a house does create some inconvenience. My husband and I gave perfectly reasonable guidelines for showing the house, but people just can't seem to follow them. Doesn't the seller set the guidelines of when they are willing and able to show their home? Sellers don't give up control of their home to RE agents and potential buyers. If someone wants to see a house they can't wait 24 hours? Really?
Sometimes... sometimes not. Sometimes they've got one free day. And that day is now. I try to give as much advance notice as I have.... but sometimes we are out and your house pops up on the Missus's search while we're on the way to something else, and she likes yours better and wants to see it. It happens. Would you rather we didn't ask to look at all?

Quote:
We live in a rural area so there is not a Starbucks on every corner for me to sit and work if someone is viewing my home. My work requires internet service and a large monitor. I also have 2 dogs and I can't take them to work at an alternate location. One of my dogs is an elderly 95 lb Labrador and it's hard for me to get him in and out of cars. So yes, it's hard to plan work and clear everyone out at the drop of a hat.
I think given the rural area and your issues, you could ask if it's OK if you keep working in your office, and keep the dogs with you. It would be fine with ME and most of the listings and buyers I've had... As long as you could do it with a smile, no matter how inconvenient and irritating it really is.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-28-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
When I worked from home and was selling, the RE agents were supposed to give me an hour notice before a showing. Sometimes they called from the driveway! AFA appointment allocated time, I have never heard there was a specific amount of time the appointment was to last. Possibly prospective buyers have more questions than others. I would think if they stayed longer, it was a good sign.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:15 PM

972 posts, read 279,560 times
When you speak of the hours of viewing....how many hours usually inside and then how many outside? Because I'd think you could do inside and then lock up. They could look outside the with spouse or with agent who got acquainted with the land beforehand.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:20 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
So my house is on the market. It's in a rural area and I work from home and have 2 dogs. My agent put in the MLS that owners need 24 hour notice for showings. I did not expect showings right off the bat due to the area I live in. I should have been prepared for immediate showings, but I didn't expect it based on other houses in the area that sit on the market for usually at least 3-4 months.

Long story short, every potential buyer has gone way over their appointment time, even though they are told I work from home and they must finish on time, or shortly after. Some potential buyers have been to my house 3 times now and they went over on their appointment yesterday by 1/2 an hour. Is this normal?
I can't imagine why a showing would take more than a half hour. I guess if I was seriously interested it and I wanted to do my own mini inspection it could take that long, but you walk in a room, look around, open cabinets and closets, fridge and over and dishwasher it it's included, turn the water faucets on, wait for hot water. etc. I don't think I was in any home that I looked at for more than 10 minutes especially if someone was home.

I do think that the more time they spend the more interested they are, the homes i knew were wrong for me I was in and out quicker.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:30 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I can't imagine why a showing would take more than a half hour. I guess if I was seriously interested it and I wanted to do my own mini inspection it could take that long, but you walk in a room, look around, open cabinets and closets, fridge and over and dishwasher it it's included, turn the water faucets on, wait for hot water. etc. I don't think I was in any home that I looked at for more than 10 minutes especially if someone was home.
It's not the looking that often takes a long time... it's the thinking and the talking. That's the part that shouldn't be rushed.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:44 PM

20,998 posts, read 25,737,156 times
When I am house shopping, I know somewhere between first sight and 10 minutes that a house won't work. If you want to limit viewings to people who don't like your property, you can keep the viewings short.

I just sold a house with 2 1/2 acres of irrigated pasture. My buyer was out several times and had his family drive 129 miles for them to see it, too.

He checked every fence post and he and a contractor friend crawled under the house and he tested every faucet and every drain. He spent a lot of time inspecting and deciding.

Then he made a really good cash offer and came back less than 2 hours later amending his offer to full price, all cash, no inspection or any other contingencies. He told his agent he didn't want to dink around and lose the property trying to save $10,000.

Rural properties are not like tract houses. Rural buyers are not like city tract house buyers. Each rural property is unique and each rural property has lots of possibilities to have hidden flaws.

If you want to sell that, OP, you are going to have to let buyers look at it.

I suggest that you sit in your office and continue to keep working. Stay out of the way and be quiet and let the potential buyer look.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 PM

10,371 posts, read 2,809,607 times
It seems to me that one thing is being overlooked here.

When a prospective buyer spends hours looking at a house (or a car, or any other major investment, for that matter), it is not just the seller's time they are using, it's their own, as well. Anyone who spends as much time as you have talked about is probably really hoping that things will work out.

Especially with a house, they may be evaluating how their furniture would fit in the rooms, or how they might want to landscape the yard. Those may seem like decisions that could be made after the sale, but sometimes they're not, if the buyer has very specific needs or desires. I know that if I felt rushed when I was considering such a major purchase, I would probably end up walking away.

I know it's inconvenient, and I know it sucks. There isn't much about moving, either as a buyer or a seller, that doesn't fit into one or both of those categories.

You need to stop seeing potential buyers as the enemy.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,058,674 times

I explained that I am really busy at the moment, but work will let up in a week or so and I can be more flexible. That's all. That is not unreasonable.

If that is truly the case, maybe you should have waited until all this work frenzy was done and avoided all the angst about what the buyers were doing.

As long as he's not being intrusive or disrespectful, I still think the buyer should be given every opportunity to view a place as HE desires, if I really want to sell.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:27 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It seems to me that one thing is being overlooked here.

When a prospective buyer spends hours looking at a house (or a car, or any other major investment, for that matter), it is not just the seller's time they are using, it's their own, as well. Anyone who spends as much time as you have talked about is probably really hoping that things will work out.

Especially with a house, they may be evaluating how their furniture would fit in the rooms, or how they might want to landscape the yard. Those may seem like decisions that could be made after the sale, but sometimes they're not, if the buyer has very specific needs or desires. I know that if I felt rushed when I was considering such a major purchase, I would probably end up walking away.

I know it's inconvenient, and I know it sucks. There isn't much about moving, either as a buyer or a seller, that doesn't fit into one or both of those categories.

You need to stop seeing potential buyers as the enemy.
This. If someone has come back to your house multiple times and is looking at it that thoroughly, then they must be seriously considering the house.

I don't know what it is that you do from home, but if you have a dedicated office or some particular space, simply tell the realtors that after an hour, you need to return to work, and will be in the office, but they can stay longer if they need to.

I don't know what type of work you do, but is it something that you could work on while at a library or a coffee shop, with a laptop and a cell phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or