U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:22 PM

19,045 posts, read 10,073,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I'll hope you never get screwed out of your planned vacation.

All it takes is one phone call to Airbnb by the buyer just to be sure they know the house has been sold, common courtesy. Ridiculous that someone would think "tough toenails". And really, could you get anymore apples to oranges than comparing this situation to a house burning down? Though I am pretty sure Airbnb would be contacted either by the owner or the insurance company. I guess I shouldn't be amazed at the callous attitude of some people anymore, yet I still am.
How on earth would an insurance company know that someone - not even the owner of the house - was listing it with airbnb and think to call them if there was a fire? That's bizarre to me that someone would think that.

And in this case, the issue is the host, not the OP. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't call airbnb, I recommended that up thread. But it's not their responsibility, it's the host. That is the person who would be screwing travelers out of their vacation plans. They should cancel the listing and cancel the bookings. The OP doesn't even have a contract with airbnb and doesn't have authority to change someone else's contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 03:50 PM

1,781 posts, read 863,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Once you close on the property all contracts with AirBnB pertaining to that property become void as you are now the owner and YOU did not sign to rent your home with AirBnB. It would also not be your problem if vacationers got screwed. This is the sellers problem, not yours. However, if they do not fix this problem before closing you will have people showing up at your door. In that case I would hand them a letter that states they need to contact AirBnB as the previous owner booked them and their contract is now void as the property was sold. Door closed.

***As another poster stated, I would get it in writing at close or before that your home will have no contracts with AirBnB after such closing date, just in case you have to call the policy on irate vacationers!
Good gosh people. Seriously. "It's not your problem if vacationers get screwed". So a simple call to Airbnb to tell them you are the new owner and the home is no longer available is too difficult? I personally could not live with myself if I had this sort of attitude...

Old 05-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How on earth would an insurance company know that someone - not even the owner of the house - was listing it with airbnb and think to call them if there was a fire? That's bizarre to me that someone would think that.

And in this case, the issue is the host, not the OP. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't call airbnb, I recommended that up thread. But it's not their responsibility, it's the host. That is the person who would be screwing travelers out of their vacation plans. They should cancel the listing and cancel the bookings. The OP doesn't even have a contract with airbnb and doesn't have authority to change someone else's contract.
Ummm, I am assuming if you are renting out part of your house, you would require a different sort of insurance. Even if that's not the case, and I don't know why you would find that bizarre, but whatever. It's a better thought process than comparing the sale of a house that's Airbnb to an Airbnb rental burning down, which is less likely to occur. But you are probably right, even if the insurance company knew it was an Airbnb, nobody would care if someone was left without a place to stay on their vacation.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:04 PM

19,045 posts, read 10,073,270 times
Quote:
Ummm, I am assuming if you are renting out part of your house, you would require a different sort of insurance. Even if that's not the case, and I don't know why you would find that bizarre, but whatever. It's a better thought process than comparing the sale of a house that's Airbnb to an Airbnb rental burning down, which is less likely to occur. But you are probably right, even if the insurance company knew it was an Airbnb, nobody would care if someone was left without a place to stay on their vacation.
Not the insurance company, that's true.

Why on earth are you blaming everyone except the people who are actually in the wrong here? There is plenty of blame but you are ignoring the ones who deserve it.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM

I am absolutely not ignoring the seller's obligation. The comments I have responded to said basically "screw those vacationers, it's not your problem". I've worked a 9-5 job where I only have gotten so many vacation days. I would be very sad if I got to my vacation home and it had been sold and neither the seller or buyer bothered to consider me and my time and loss of vacation. It's not the vacationers' fault at all! Why do they have to suffer? And why is everyone thinking it's totally acceptable to not consider those who are being left without a place to stay? I travel with dogs, my options are sometimes limited. Sometimes I drive 12-14 hours away for a vacation. One trip even included a ferry ride and a short flight to an island (in the US). Can you imagine getting there and finding out the place you booked and paid for is no longer available?

Old 05-31-2018, 04:50 PM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
Quote:
I am absolutely not ignoring the seller's obligation. The comments I have responded to said basically "screw those vacationers, it's not your problem". I've worked a 9-5 job where I only have gotten so many vacation days. I would be very sad if I got to my vacation home and it had been sold and neither the seller or buyer bothered to consider me and my time and loss of vacation. It's not the vacationers' fault at all! Why do they have to suffer? And why is everyone thinking it's totally acceptable to not consider those who are being left without a place to stay? I travel with dogs, my options are sometimes limited. Sometimes I drive 12-14 hours away for a vacation. One trip even included a ferry ride and a short flight to an island (in the US). Can you imagine getting there and finding out the place you booked and paid for is no longer available?
If there is a mortgage it will usually take 45 days, that's plenty of time for the owner to let you know that they are sorry to inform you that the place is no longer available and you need to make other arrangements.

It's ludicrous to think the new owner would allow or to even be asked to let this Airbnb situation to continue once they buy the home.

I don't know about Airbnb but do people pay that far ahead in advance, that's crazy, but 45 days is ample time to get your money back.

Don't sell your home if you have Airbnb bookings, blame the seller, the buyer is not at fault.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If there is a mortgage it will usually take 45 days, that's plenty of time for the owner to let you know that they are sorry to inform you that the place is no longer available and you need to make other arrangements.

It's ludicrous to think the new owner would allow or to even be asked to let this Airbnb situation to continue once they buy the home.

I don't know about Airbnb but do people pay that far ahead in advance, that's crazy, but 45 days is ample time to get your money back.

Don't sell your home if you have Airbnb bookings, blame the seller, the buyer is not at fault.
Do people pay that far in advance???? Yes, those who work jobs where they need to put in their vacation requests in order for the company to sort out who will and won't be there in the upcoming year. Not sure how that's crazy. I used to book my vacations almost a year in advance, as soon as they were approved.

I agree that it's ludicrous that the new owner would allow the situation to continue. I agree the seller should not sell the home to someone who is looking for a primary home with Airbnb bookings in place.

I don't agree or see how it's fair to the vacationers for every single person involved to just leave them hanging.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
Quote:
Do people pay that far in advance???? Yes, those who work jobs where they need to put in their vacation requests in order for the company to sort out who will and won't be there in the upcoming year. Not sure how that's crazy. I used to book my vacations almost a year in advance, as soon as they were approved.

I agree that it's ludicrous that the new owner would allow the situation to continue. I agree the seller should not sell the home to someone who is looking for a primary home with Airbnb bookings in place.

I don't agree or see how it's fair to the vacationers for every single person involved to just leave them hanging.
I'm not familiar with Airbnb, I never paid for a hotel room before I got there, even if I prebooked it.

It seems like you are booking rooms 1 year in advance and paying that day 1 year in advance, that's your right, but now you know that things happen. Even things beyond the owner's control, not that this is.

as far as fair, life is not guaranteed to be fair.

When I read the post I was even thinking that the airbnb host expected to keep the profits for the rentals for a property they no longer owned, which would be beyond ludicrous, but some people would try it.

Sure it sucks for people who even booked and didn't prepay. tough toenails. it's the person selling that's to blame and no one else you can't expect the new owner to honor hotel stays in her home with possible dogs when she doesn't want it. You can't just see things from your side. You have a bias about this I don't.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:45 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
I'll hope you never get screwed out of your planned vacation.

All it takes is one phone call to Airbnb by the buyer just to be sure they know the house has been sold, common courtesy. Ridiculous that someone would think "tough toenails". And really, could you get anymore apples to oranges than comparing this situation to a house burning down? Though I am pretty sure Airbnb would be contacted either by the owner or the insurance company. I guess I shouldn't be amazed at the callous attitude of some people anymore, yet I still am.
The seller, sellers agent or sellers attorney should be doing this, not the buyer. I really don't see this as being the buyers problem to solve.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 PM

4,483 posts, read 7,947,544 times
Quote:
AirBNB is not a hotel. Its the risk you take when you use a non-hotel service. The guests simply need to book another accommodation after they are notified by AirBNB that the reservation is cancelled. Want 100% reliability? Book a hotel.

PS. No one even mentioned the furniture. When the sale closes the seller is taking out all the furniture. An AirBNB guest would be quite shocked to open the door to find no furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate