Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:35 AM

1,047 posts, read 721,497 times

Advertisements

Just change the locks and put an alarm up. Airbnb has already proven over and over if you watch the news they are not an honorable company. Be very pro active. Do not go and travel, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,505,797 times
I am an airbnb host. It should be easy to get out of this. Call Airbnb and talk to the customer service. You should be able to cancel all the bookings as of the date of your closing.

There is nothing they (the seller and the friend) can do. You dont have a profile on airbnb you have nothing to lose.

In your place I'd call Airb and explain the situation. They will cancel the reservations for you and reach out to whomever is listed as the host (or co-host if it's in the name of a friend) and tell them NOT to advertise it anymore.

The seller and her friend think they can get away with it. Tell them to their face that you spoke with Airbnb and they said they will cancel the reservations after the closing. Tell them to not advertise past that date. They can mark it blocked in their calendar, it is easy to do it.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,150,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Yes the owner is out of state and wanted the friend to manage the rentals.

I would manage the rentals after the close and would get the rent.
I think that you accepting this situation is totally foolish.....you obviously know nothing about this process.

And, why would you even consider doing this after you've been told by ABNB.......not to. ???

Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,998,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think that you accepting this situation is totally foolish.....you obviously know nothing about this process.

And, why would you even consider doing this after you've been told by ABNB.......not to. ???
^^

The second the property changes hands any income derived from it goes to the new owner. The other individual is just trying to make a few bucks.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,626,624 times
Quote:
What part of the NC Vacation act allows for termination ??
The part that references termination. Not sure how to be more specific. Read it.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,799,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Just change the locks and put an alarm up. Airbnb has already proven over and over if you watch the news they are not an honorable company. Be very pro active. Do not go and travel, please.
Really? So screw those vacationers who have reserved the home rather than contacting Airbnb and having them contact the vacationers. That's seriously a mean and nasty thing to do.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,127,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
^^

The second the property changes hands any income derived from it goes to the new owner. The other individual is just trying to make a few bucks.
I'm not experienced with Airbnb so I've never seen their contract. But their contract is with the host, not the OP. So I don't see how OP would get the money unless the host voluntarily hands it over. And personally, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

I agree with contacting airbnb, telling them the situation and seeing what they suggest.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:53 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,698,013 times
Quote:
I found the perfect house and have a contract to buy it. but some confusing
issues have come up regarding airbnb bookings.

Before we had a contract I was told that it had rental agreements in place for
about 4 weeks in the 2 months after my closing. I was told that because of NC Vacation
Rental Act I had to honor those rental agreements. So I agreed thinking I had no choice.
I was going to use the weeks to travel.

Then we discovered that the "property manager" was a friend of the owners that lives there when it is not rented and that the rentals were done through airbnb. (in fact she is still advertising but that is a whole other story)

Airbnb says that the rental agreement is done with a host ( not a house) and cannot be transfered to me and should be canceled if the house sold.

I would prefer to get out of all of the booked rentals, zero interest in having strangers staying in my new house if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have experience or advice with this ?
My realtor is working on it, but I am also researching my situation.
When I read this title I thought you wanted to buy a house with such guests.

What I would have said is strangers do not respect things and may break things. I think that they may be responsible though same as if they throw up in a car while riding Uber.

Anyway I wouldn't honor it if I didn't want to. There should be enough time for the person who listed it to cancel.

Summer is peak rental season especially if you are in a great area or near the beach, why have someone make money on your dime. They should not sell it until they were ready to.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,698,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I am an airbnb host. It should be easy to get out of this. Call Airbnb and talk to the customer service. You should be able to cancel all the bookings as of the date of your closing.

There is nothing they (the seller and the friend) can do. You dont have a profile on airbnb you have nothing to lose.

In your place I'd call Airb and explain the situation. They will cancel the reservations for you and reach out to whomever is listed as the host (or co-host if it's in the name of a friend) and tell them NOT to advertise it anymore.

The seller and her friend think they can get away with it. Tell them to their face that you spoke with Airbnb and they said they will cancel the reservations after the closing. Tell them to not advertise past that date. They can mark it blocked in their calendar, it is easy to do it.
Exactly the only one who loses if the OP honors it is themselves and the only one who can lose if you tell them no is the AirBNB host who may get negative reviews.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 PM

30,566 posts, read 18,069,396 times
OP: it seems that you're not even getting the money from these bookings as they were made with the current/soon to be former? LL. In that case--even if you wanted to honor the bookings as a potential way of making a little cash--I'd follow the advice of other posters on how to get out of this mess. No strangers are staying in my home for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate