U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

9,322 posts, read 11,154,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
They are renters that singed a long complicated lease so they can squat but then they will be evicted and have an eviction on their record. It sucks because people put money into these homes over the years and then they are worthless, unless someone wants to buy their old appliances and central AC, if they go to an apartment that already has them they lose everything basically.
In the 2 cases I saw locally the trailers were 40+ yrs old and the weather definitely took a toll on them. The people were sad, some really expected to die there so they never prepared to move or ever considered it.

I think the best way to look at a trailer/mobile home is to consider it "disposable living" vs. something that will be around in 100 yrs like an old brick house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:20 AM

10,271 posts, read 6,506,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
In the 2 cases I saw locally the trailers were 40+ yrs old and the weather definitely took a toll on them. The people were sad, some really expected to die there so they never prepared to move or ever considered it.

I think the best way to look at a trailer/mobile home is to consider it "disposable living" vs. something that will be around in 100 yrs like an old brick house.
Even an old wood frame house looks better than a 20 year old mobile home, most are ugly and boxy with cheap siding and cheap thin windows.

But they do depreciate and eventually become worthless or almost worthless. I fell bad for some old people who think their old mobile home on a rented lot from the 70s with 7 foot ceilings are worth $30K when the community can't even sell a 10 year old nicer home for that much.

If the old guy paid $4,000 in 1970 then he more than made up for what he spent, he's lucky if he can get a few grand or even someone to take over the high lot rents. A lot of places have lot rents of $700 a month (greater Fort Lauderdale area) or more. Slummy trailer RV parks can go for as little as $350 (Fort Myers area) , but it depends where you live and the general cost of housing and land availability too.

The ones i feel bad for are the ones who bought the home a few years ago for $10K for an old mobile home just to live in that area, and paid lot rent and now have nothing. There are a few places where they can retains some value if the cost of living there is high and it's the cheapest option to live in the area.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:39 PM

5,755 posts, read 1,291,569 times
Quote:

I believe they have a 10-20 year life. I have rehabbed them on rental property I have owned and when you see how they are constructed from the inside of the walls you understand why. 40 years is pushing it.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM

10,271 posts, read 6,506,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I believe they have a 10-20 year life. I have rehabbed them on rental property I have owned and when you see how they are constructed from the inside of the walls you understand why. 40 years is pushing it.
There are many mobile homes in park, decent parks where the MH were built in the 70's so almost 50 years old. You just have to take care of them and hope no strong storms have hit them hard. They just look really old really fast, but as long as you take care of the roof, subfloors and windows they are fine.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:25 PM

7,100 posts, read 2,215,712 times
Quote:
Almost every town has that run down trailer park that is an eyesore. Since old trailers can't be moved (once they get past age 10 they are not welcome in new parks so they just rot in place).

Has anyone ever seen a conversion where a run down trailer park is razed and new micro homes replace them?

https://www.ebay.com/i/122815049406?chn=ps

Seems viable at the price point and you might be able to utilize the lots better due to smaller homes.

Every time this happens, a bunch of poor, mostly older people, become homeless. But I guess if money and business interests are the only important things, then that wouldn't matter.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 3,333,262 times
Quote:
Almost every town has that run down trailer park that is an eyesore. Since old trailers can't be moved (once they get past age 10 they are not welcome in new parks so they just rot in place).

Has anyone ever seen a conversion where a run down trailer park is razed and new micro homes replace them?

https://www.ebay.com/i/122815049406?chn=ps

Seems viable at the price point and you might be able to utilize the lots better due to smaller homes.
Probably better off finding someone local to frame something for you. Local lumber yards these days can build those and bring them over. 800 sf I wouldn't be surprised is cheaper depending on where you are done locally.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,775,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think it's that easy to kick mobile home residents out of their trailers and sell the land beneath them. Surely there has to be some government protection. The residents can't move their trailers into another trailer park if the structures are older (I believe it's 2 years, not 10). The residents are basically kicked out of their homes, into the streets and made homeless?

They don't kick them out they just raise the rent. At least in this area it is usually justifiable because of the zoning of the land and where they are located. And since in this area there are no new trailer parks being created the idea is the problem will go away. Once the trailers are abandoned or liens for back rent put on them the land owner can clean the land and find a new use (usually commercial).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or