Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:29 AM

329 posts, read 204,078 times

Advertisements

Why don't developers turn the hundreds of dead malls into living communities, build out 1000 apt units, and then have shops and restaurants inside to cater to residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 07:47 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Co-housing.

In Europe closed factories are remodeled into condos around a central core area.

As many malls are sitting empty or near empty these days, if the finances worked out, it would be a great use.

Plenty of parking.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Many new shopping centers are being built with shops, restaurants, taverns, movie theaters, medical offices, etc. on the ground floors with business offices and condos on the upper floors.

People pay a premium for the condos, but they can live, work, shop, go out to dinner, .. without getting into a car.

Walkable urban.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
Why don't developers turn the hundreds of dead malls into living communities, build out 1000 apt units, and then have shops and restaurants inside to cater to residents?
Not sure about your country, but in the USA this is happening. When practical, developers will use existing vacant malls as the foundation for redevelopment.

What holds back some is the design and construction doesn't always allow for living space within the mall interior that meets building codes for fire and safety, so they often look to build the living areas above the existing malls. Additionally, projects still have to be financially viable; ideas are great but it cost money to implement. Unfortunately, the side effect is these projects are hyped and cost to live there can be above the average person's ability.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM

127 posts, read 107,245 times
Quote:
I think about this every time I watch a Dead Malls episode on YT. It is sorta (not exactly) happening here, one of our malls is fading (not dead by any means) and at least one of the flagships is closing. They’re converting it into apartments, since the location is so fantastic with public transit and retail right there. Not a living community like you’re talking about, but they are repurposing the space for dwellings.

I wonder if some of the problem is that a lot of these malls are dead because the areas are quiet or depressed, meaning there wouldn’t be much call for new development?

Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Malls are in decline and it costs money to build 1000 new apartments! The cross mix of mall restaurants and new apartments won't work either. Would you want to live near a Sbarro or Panda Express?

Old 05-29-2018, 09:20 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Many new shopping centers are being built with shops, restaurants, taverns, movie theaters, medical offices, etc. on the ground floors with business offices and condos on the upper floors.

People pay a premium for the condos, but they can live, work, shop, go out to dinner, .. without getting into a car.

Walkable urban.
Except the parking is usually still an issue. If you live there and you park your car (walking most places) then they lose a parking space to your mothballed car. Movie theaters tie up parking for hours, med/business offices need parking daily or their businesses will suffer.

I visited a downtown office plaza last week to meet with an attorney. Parking SUCKED and I inadvertently parked in the neighboring building (I though the skyscrapers were attached). I was meeting at lunchtime yet there were no available spots until the 11th floor of the garage!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Where are there hundreds of dead malls? You mean strip malls? I've never seen large malls closed down that are not strip malls. Plus these areas are for business. If the town makes it residential that means there won't be places for new businesses to open there.

There is one that turned into mini studio apartments and that's a great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmL2l-bcuUQ

When I traveled in the past up north on 1-95 I did see many motels closed. If those were turned into condos that would be a great affordable solution. They already have bathrooms, so you just need a kitchenette and you have a solution that beats tiny homes.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM

127 posts, read 107,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Where are there hundreds of dead malls?
Pretty sure OP means the hundreds of dead malls, not strip malls. They’re all over the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...d-malls-2017-5

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buz...bandoned-malls

Etc.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:34 AM

329 posts, read 204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Where are there hundreds of dead malls? You mean strip malls? I've never seen large malls closed down that are not strip malls. Plus these areas are for business. If the town makes it residential that means there won't be places for new businesses to open there.
I'm talking the big malls. I was in NJ last month, one in Wayne was dead. Paramus Park all but dead.

Here's what could happen to America's hundreds of dead malls - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate