Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times

Advertisements

While it's functional and move-in ready, IMO, it is dated.

Just painting the trim white and replacing the mirrored closet doors would make a world of difference and are inexpensive, quick fixes. I'd also replace the carpet which wouldn't be terribly expensive since it appears to be just in the living room and three bedrooms (the wood floors appear to be in great condition, btw). Those three items are what I would immediately change.

I'd eventually want a redo of the kitchen. In picture #3, what's behind that bump out? If possible, I'd have that torn out to increase the counter/cabinet space. Your cousin should envision the potential.

I wish the realtor had included a photo of the kitchen looking in from the living room.

The garage shares a roof with the neighbors garage, how does one go about negotiating the need and cost of replacing the roof? If that's the original roof, it has exceeded or is coming close to its life span.

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-31-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

Just painting the trim white and replacing the mirrored closet doors would make a world of difference and are inexpensive, quick fixes. I'd also replace the carpet which wouldn't be terribly inexpensive since it appears to be just in the living room and three bedrooms (the wood floors appear to be in great condition, btw). Those three items are what I would immediately change.

I'd eventually want a redo of the kitchen. In picture #3, what's behind that bump out? If possible, I'd have that torn out to increase the counter/cabinet space. Your cousin should envision the potential.

I wish the realtor had included a photo of the kitchen looking in from the living room.

The garage shares a roof with the neighbors garage, how does one go about negotiating the need and cost of replacing the roof? If that's the original roof, it has exceeded or is coming close to its life span.
In many cases, you replace your own roof. I lived across from a neighborhood of duplexes (they had fees, but it was only about $50 that was the big master HOA fee that may have covered the entire island) and it looked very weird to have one roof on one side and one roof on the other with alternating shingles. The HOA may regulate the type/color selected, but it is still not a great match.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
In many cases, you replace your own roof. I lived across from a neighborhood of duplexes (they had fees, but it was only about $50 that was the big master HOA fee that may have covered the entire island) and it looked very weird to have one roof on one side and one roof on the other with alternating shingles. The HOA may regulate the type/color selected, but it is still not a great match.
But a shared roof comes with potential problems. Getting your neighbor to agree that it's time to replace the roof and to paying their portion of the shared roof will get complicated especially if there are no agreed upon covenants (OP stated this home is not part of an association).

We have shared fences and we wanted to replace our deteriorating fence. Our covenants state the cost should be shared evenly with our adjoining neighbors. We approached our neighbors and both said "We can't afford to do that." My husband and I could afford the entire cost, and it was important to us to have a new fence to protect our dog from the neighboring dog (he busted through a board trying to get at our dog) so we just paid for the whole thing.

I can't imagine the hassle of having a shared roof as those are significantly more expensive and crucial. My point is that, for me, a shared roof would be a dealbreaker while dated interior would not.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
The bones are fine, but the styling is dated.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM

503 posts, read 1,454,755 times
I was shocked at the taxes. Over $500 a month. WOW!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
But a shared roof comes with potential problems. Getting your neighbor to agree that it's time to replace the roof and to paying their portion of the shared roof will get complicated especially if there are no agreed upon covenants (OP stated this home is not part of an association).

We have shared fences and we wanted to replace our deteriorating fence. Our covenants state the cost should be shared evenly with our adjoining neighbors. We approached our neighbors and both said "We can't afford to do that." My husband and I could afford the entire cost, and it was important to us to have a new fence to protect our dog from the neighboring dog (he busted through a board trying to get at our dog) so we just paid for the whole thing.

I can't imagine the hassle of having a shared roof as those are significantly more expensive and crucial. My point is that, for me, a shared roof would be a dealbreaker while dated interior would not.
They don’t replace their roof. You replace your roof and there is a mismatched line. Like I said, it doesn’t look nice, but your roof is replaced. That was how it was at the place across the street from my neighborhood- everyone had mismatched roofs.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I do agree about the single bowl sink, not a fan of those myself. I still occasionally see new houses with them today for some reason, I guess some people prefer them.
I have a large granite sink. I didn't choose it; it was already in the house that I bought. I love it. But it is large and that is the key. I have a metal grid in the bottom and there is room to set things to the side to dry, while also rinsing on the other side. It is also easy to wash larger items. As I said, I would never have thought to choose it, but I really like it.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:13 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:

Just painting the trim white and replacing the mirrored closet doors would make a world of difference and are inexpensive, quick fixes. I'd also replace the carpet which wouldn't be terribly expensive since it appears to be just in the living room and three bedrooms (the wood floors appear to be in great condition, btw). Those three items are what I would immediately change.

I agree that some white paint on the trim would make a world of difference. I just sold a house that was built in the 80's and I had painted the kitchen cabinets and the stained trim white. Similar houses in my neighborhood that had not made this change do look dated. Painting over stained trim and cabinets can be labor-intensive, if it is done the right way, but if you DIY, it is not expensive and has a big impact.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
They don’t replace their roof. You replace your roof and there is a mismatched line. Like I said, it doesn’t look nice, but your roof is replaced. That was how it was at the place across the street from my neighborhood- everyone had mismatched roofs.
Oh! I understand now. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I have a large granite sink. I didn't choose it; it was already in the house that I bought. I love it. But it is large and that is the key. I have a metal grid in the bottom and there is room to set things to the side to dry, while also rinsing on the other side. It is also easy to wash larger items. As I said, I would never have thought to choose it, but I really like it.
Same here. Not only is it large, but it's deep. I've come to appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate