U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:14 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,774,189 times

Advertisements

You can always remodel....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 AM

3,033 posts, read 1,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
You can always remodel....
Sure, but the issue is that this is apparently the only unit in the friendís price range and it is a foreclosure with issues such as a tiny sink and a problematic footprint... so do you think sheíll have money to do the remodel and fix all the problems that usually come with an as-is foreclosure?

The taxes are correct. In IL they are usually around 2.4% of the propertyís value +/- a lot depending on whether the city/village/township is in good financial shape.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM

39,060 posts, read 37,695,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
What do you mean fact that is was sold in one day says it all?
It means it's a desirable area. People obviously WANT to live there, regardless of what kind of sink is in the kitchen LOL.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:13 PM

18,990 posts, read 10,047,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It means it's a desirable area. People obviously WANT to live there, regardless of what kind of sink is in the kitchen LOL.
Yes, exactly.

Now, I'll admit I'm kind of picky about my house (other people would say I'm brainwashed by HGTV but I think that is just stupid to say, simply because I have preferences about my environment) and I would absolutely have bought that unit if it was in my desired location and fit the budget and all the rest was in order (still curious about that whole common areas but no HOA fee thing).

I'd do what I could in terms of DIY cosmetic fixes if that was all I could afford, although ideally, I'd put some additional money into it to take some good bones and make it into a place I really loved. Getting into a home with the schools I wanted for my kid was my top priority, and in my case, getting a chance to buy new construction and getting to make a bunch of design and decor choices as just the cherry on top of the sundae.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:25 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know right. I’m waiting on the oak haters.
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What does this have to do with HGTV lovers?
Well, duh. You know the type - if it's more than a decade old, it's "dated". Appliances that aren't stainless apparently cannot function properly. Granite counters and wood floors are a must. Anything unusual, colorful or unique won't fly. If it's not the newest, trendiest stuff being pushed by HGTV and its advertisers, it must be ripped out immediately lest it offend any further.

Quote:
This looks like a kitchen originally designed for renters. There is a footprint with a single sink without room to put in a double sink. A double sink is a pretty basic item, not quite up there with granite countertops or stainless steel appliances..
My kitchen has a single sink. I own my home, which was never designed for renters.

Come to think of it, the last place I rented had a double bowl sink. Go figure.

Single or double bowl sinks are a preference; a double bowl sink is not a "basic item".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Kitchen is dated and would be too small for me to cook and bake in.
A good cook can cook and bake anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
But a shared roof comes with potential problems. Getting your neighbor to agree that it's time to replace the roof and to paying their portion of the shared roof will get complicated especially if there are no agreed upon covenants (OP stated this home is not part of an association).
That's not how it works when you own a semi-detached home (called duplexes or twins in some markets). You make the repairs to your half of the roof; you don't wait for your neighbors to do theirs (although sometimes a roofer will cut you a deal if both owners get the work done at the same time). All attached homes will have some sort of firewall dividing the roofs that extends above the roof line; even my garage, which is attached to my neighbors' has a raised divider.

Quote:
Well I used to like my house but now I’m becoming ashamed. We bought a house similar down the street last year. It has white trim though but the kitchen is similar. We don’t have kids just a dog. I have no plans to rent it to anyone or do any updating at this point.
Don't be ashamed. I'm sure your house is lovely if it's like the one pictured. Just ignore the naysayers.

Quote:
Wow it’s already under contract and it’s only been in the market a day. It was foreclosed and the owners moved out last week.
Apparently not everyone thought it was dated ...

Old 05-31-2018, 01:30 PM

199 posts, read 71,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Or it could be that itís was bought as an investment and will be rented. Itís desirable because of the school district. Most of the duplexes are occupied by Russians. Some Indians, and Asians as well. Very diverse.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:05 PM

8,380 posts, read 7,369,618 times
The following are the things that you need to consider.

1: Is the home priced in line with what other homes have been selling for in a similar condition.

2: Would it fit your and your families needs. Thinks such as, is the kitchen a size you can live with. Remember the double sink come from the days when people did dishes by hand and used one to wash in, and one to rinse in. If a home has a dishwasher, the double sink is no longer a requirement for your personal use. A lot of new homes, are single sink today.

3: Do you like the home as it is, and would feel comfortable living in it.

Those are the only real consideration as to it being an acceptable home for your use and enjoyment. Remember that a home the Neigh Sayers are pointing out you should buy instead of this one, would cost you a lot more money, and may price it out of your budget or ability to finance.

Remember what is in fashion today, will be out of fashion in the future. Back in the 50s when we bought our first home in the Silicon Valley, had hard wood floors. People immediately wanted to carpet them over the hard wood. Today with hardwood floors the rage, a lot of people found the old oak hardwood floors under the carpet when they tore out the carpet to put down hardwood floors. All they are having to do, is pull out the carpet, and polish the floors to be in style.

We paid $13,750 for a home people are buying today for $1,250,000 and more, and our price was was brand new, and today's price is for a 60 year old home.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 PM

39,060 posts, read 37,695,377 times
Quote:
Or it could be that it’s was bought as an investment and will be rented.
... which means that people WANT to live there.

Successful investors don't invest money in rentals where people don't want to live.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:08 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,769,309 times
It's a bit of a fixer upper. For $239,900 that is what I'd expect in BG.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:37 PM

10,270 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Then why is it a condo and not a single family home with its own lot. Doesn't make sense.
It's half a duplex, single family homes are not attached,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate