U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 PM
 
4,836 posts, read 2,142,556 times
Reputation: 12307

Advertisements

The positive for a realtor agent is to reel in a prospect in future time. They would see this 'plus one' as a future opportunity. Word of mouth is a great marketing method.
On the other side is the security of the showing. I recall one agent doing a private 'invite only' for a well established home. Each invite had to provide ID before entry. The seller was stern on keeping at bay any sticky fingers. He had some high end art pieces...
So the agent had to basically play security on the day of the event.
Most buyers are not of the shady nature...yet it has been known to happen.
Usually a direct inquiry with the realtor beats the speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
Reputation: 6882
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No your concerns seem to be about you not making your sales goal, the parents are trying to guide their child to make the right choices to exceed their goals.
Your input throughout this forum can be summed up by - "often wrong, but never in doubt." I've noticed this in your rapidly expanded posting on the forum. The world exists beyond your little corner of SW FL.

Perhaps you're remembering a world where the real estate agent decides which properties to view. Where the real estate agent tells the Buyer what they're going to spend. Where the Buyer isn't using the internet, and doesn't know there's the same house but $10K cheaper right around the corner. Where what an agent earns has anything to do with some "sales goal". I mean - that one is just laughable and displays your extreme ignorance about the real estate process today.

How many times have you been the parent in this situation? The younger buyer (which might not be young at all)? When the younger Buyer makes 5x what the parent did at the same age, but what the parent remembers is "wow, when we were starting out, we paid $20K for a house like this in our little hometown. Raleigh prices are crazy - no way any of these houses are worth this much!" .... when rent cost > house payment.

How many times, in your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 02:44 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,150 posts, read 2,159,275 times
Reputation: 8081
It seems to me that most of the posts here are from the perspective of people who want to view houses, and do so in a sociable way as sort of a fun event.

As a prospective seller in a very hot seller's market, here's another perspective.

I don't want neighbors and/or anyone who is merely interested in checking out "comps" of their own home or those interested in checking out our renovations and decorating to waste my time or that of my agent, if I decide to use an agent.

I want pre-qualified principals—singles or spouses usually—and their agent, if they have one, to have the opportunity to view my small, single family home in a quiet, undistracted atmosphere.

I won't be holding any "Open House", just "by Appointment Only" (or, as someone mentioned above, "by Invitation only").

My house is not suitable for multi-generational families, and there is no need for children, grandchildren, parents or anyone else inside the house while the principals view it. It's counterproductive to selling this house.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-31-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM
 
Location: El paso,tx
1,488 posts, read 572,187 times
Reputation: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It seems to me that most of the posts here are from the perspective of people who want to view houses, and do so in a sociable way as sort of a fun event.

As a prospective seller in a very hot seller's market, here's another perspective.

I don't want neighbors and/or anyone who is merely interested in checking out "comps" of their own home or those interested in checking out our renovations and decorating to waste my time or that of my agent, if I decide to use an agent.

I want pre-qualified principals—singles or spouses usually—and their agent, if they have one, to have the opportunity to view my small, single family home in a quiet, undistracted atmosphere.

I won't be holding any "Open House", just "by Appointment Only".

My house is not suitable for multi-generational families, and there is no need for children, grandchildren, parents or anyone else inside the house while the principals view it. It's counterproductive to selling this house.
Buyers often have someone who has bought several homes or has a background in renovation, construction, or remodeling, that they'd like to get the opinion of. I can't imagine telling my client they can't bring a trusted friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 03:28 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,150 posts, read 2,159,275 times
Reputation: 8081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Buyers often have someone who has bought several homes or has a background in renovation, construction, or remodeling, that they'd like to get the opinion of. I can't imagine telling my client they can't bring a trusted friend.
But you are in El Paso, Texas (possibly rural) and this is the San Francisco Bay Area, a very different market, with very different buyers and very different needs.

If you are a real estate agent, shouldn't you indicate that next to your screen name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM
 
Location: NC
6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times
Reputation: 12054
If I was an agent I would be uncomfortable if two unrelated people were wandering around different parts of the house at the same time. It has happened that one individual would keep the agent occupied while the second person would steal small things. HOWEVER, the agent should have made a determination about the buyer (niece?) trustworthiness before offering to represent her. And, I suspect that you are all three sticking together during the tour. Either the agent has personally had a bad experience, which she could share with you by way of explanation, or she is new and nervous about her responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Salem, OR
13,740 posts, read 31,556,293 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my niece is in the market for a house and invited me to go with her to a few showings. Well the agent got there and said "I really prefer if you didn't bring friends along". WHAT!! Did I break a protocol. some one else I know got the same line.

What's the reasoning behind it. I always brought a good friend with me (lol, I've only purchased 2 houses in my life) when looking.

I'm going to be in the market for a beach house and I darn sure will be bringing a friend or one of my kids with me.

Is there a good reason for this?
1) Yes.Theft. There are theft rings where one person keeps the agent distracted while the other one steals things. I can't say that I have ever had someone bring friends along before we got an accepted offer.

2) Distraction. I've had relatives, which is fine for first time home buyers who might need some extra reassurance. I would balk at friends coming along as well as viewing homes isn't a social hour. So if the friend was helpful and added good information for the buyer, I'm fine with it. If the friend wanted to chit chat about people's ugly decor and make fun of the sellers, it's not happening. And it isn't just friends. I asked one young woman to stop bringing her parents along. They were horrendous and pushing her to buy a home she didn't want or like. They wanted her to buy a home they liked. Not happening. Not helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,280 posts, read 1,033,859 times
Reputation: 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It seems to me that most of the posts here are from the perspective of people who want to view houses, and do so in a sociable way as sort of a fun event.

As a prospective seller in a very hot seller's market, here's another perspective.

I don't want neighbors and/or anyone who is merely interested in checking out "comps" of their own home or those interested in checking out our renovations and decorating to waste my time or that of my agent, if I decide to use an agent.

I want pre-qualified principals—singles or spouses usually—and their agent, if they have one, to have the opportunity to view my small, single family home in a quiet, undistracted atmosphere.

I won't be holding any "Open House", just "by Appointment Only" (or, as someone mentioned above, "by Invitation only").

My house is not suitable for multi-generational families, and there is no need for children, grandchildren, parents or anyone else inside the house while the principals view it. It's counterproductive to selling this house.
may I ask how it is counterproductive. I too sold my house in a hot market. personally I preferred to not even be around when prospective buyers came by. I removed all valuables.

Are you saying you won't sell to a buyer with children?

anyway,
yes my niece is a first time buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 PM
 
10,265 posts, read 6,495,798 times
Reputation: 10837
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Your input throughout this forum can be summed up by - "often wrong, but never in doubt." I've noticed this in your rapidly expanded posting on the forum. The world exists beyond your little corner of SW FL.

Perhaps you're remembering a world where the real estate agent decides which properties to view. Where the real estate agent tells the Buyer what they're going to spend. Where the Buyer isn't using the internet, and doesn't know there's the same house but $10K cheaper right around the corner. Where what an agent earns has anything to do with some "sales goal". I mean - that one is just laughable and displays your extreme ignorance about the real estate process today.

How many times have you been the parent in this situation? The younger buyer (which might not be young at all)? When the younger Buyer makes 5x what the parent did at the same age, but what the parent remembers is "wow, when we were starting out, we paid $20K for a house like this in our little hometown. Raleigh prices are crazy - no way any of these houses are worth this much!" .... when rent cost > house payment.

How many times, in your experience?
Quite frankly I have no idea what you are talking about or what point you are trying to make but I will say this.....

one would be inclined to call you a hypocrite because you have a horse in this race and I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 05:50 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,150 posts, read 2,159,275 times
Reputation: 8081
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Are you saying you won't sell to a buyer with children?
Of course I would. However, there is no need for serious buyers to bring children (other than very young babes-in-arms who cannot walk) along to view a house if one is a serious buyer.

Over the years I've seen (and heard about) children who leave the room where their parents are talking with the agent or measuring something and the kids do things such as opening and closing drawers, jumping on mattresses, messing with electronics, getting into makeup, looking for cookies and candy in pantries, etc.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-31-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top