U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:04 PM

1,037 posts, read 753,686 times

Advertisements

That's strange, and not normal. Get a new realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,344,207 times
Is there a good reason?
Yes, it's the buyer's decision and not yours to decide or to influence.
RE agent did not know I would be accompanying DS on his house hunt.

I was visiting son (seattle), unknown to me, he had scheduled some open houses with RE agent. I just tagged along and kept my mouth shut. He asked what I thought and I said that it's his decision, I had no idea what were his wants and needs for a house/home. I also didn't want to get any blame on any offered advice. We later used same RE agent to buy 3 other units in our names, with DS offering advice.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,207,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my niece is in the market for a house and invited me to go with her to a few showings. Well the agent got there and said "I really prefer if you didn't bring friends along". WHAT!! Did I break a protocol. some one else I know got the same line.

What's the reasoning behind it. I always brought a good friend with me (lol, I've only purchased 2 houses in my life) when looking.

I'm going to be in the market for a beach house and I darn sure will be bringing a friend or one of my kids with me.

Is there a good reason for this?

Maybe the agents didn't want any witnesses to what they told you?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:38 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,712,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my niece is in the market for a house and invited me to go with her to a few showings. Well the agent got there and said "I really prefer if you didn't bring friends along". WHAT!! Did I break a protocol. some one else I know got the same line.

What's the reasoning behind it. I always brought a good friend with me (lol, I've only purchased 2 houses in my life) when looking.

I'm going to be in the market for a beach house and I darn sure will be bringing a friend or one of my kids with me.

Is there a good reason for this?
There is a good reason to find a new realtor.

I am the realtor's client. If I want to bring a friend, or Dr. Kivorkian for that matter, I'll bring them. If the realtor says I can't I'm gone and complain to their agency. How childish can you get?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,719,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Of course I would. However, there is no need for serious buyers to bring children (other than very young babes-in-arms who cannot walk) along to view a house if one is a serious buyer.

Over the years I've seen (and heard about) children who leave the room where their parents are talking with the agent or measuring something and the kids do things such as opening and closing drawers, jumping on mattresses, messing with electronics, getting into makeup, looking for cookies and candy in pantries, etc.
Gosh, as a parent I would NEVER buy a house with out taking my minor kids to see it before I made an offer. The house I live in now is BECAUSE of my kids going with me to look at houses. Originally I wanted a house on the river, but the kids wanted a house on a lake. And after looking at a few of both, I agreed with them. They were 11 years old at that time.

But my kids do know how to behave and are with me when we look at houses.

And yes, there are many cases of kids destroying a house when their parents are viewing it. That happened to our house when we sold it a few times. But if you are selling a family house, the person potentially buying it may be like me and would not buy it without taking the kids to see it first.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:33 AM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Gosh, as a parent I would NEVER buy a house with out taking my minor kids to see it before I made an offer. The house I live in now is BECAUSE of my kids going with me to look at houses. Originally I wanted a house on the river, but the kids wanted a house on a lake. And after looking at a few of both, I agreed with them. They were 11 years old at that time.

But my kids do know how to behave and are with me when we look at houses.

And yes, there are many cases of kids destroying a house when their parents are viewing it. That happened to our house when we sold it a few times. But if you are selling a family house, the person potentially buying it may be like me and would not buy it without taking the kids to see it first.
What guarantee would a seller have that the kids who come to view a house are well-behaved like yours and not the hellions that we both know are out there? Since I am fortunate enough to be in a housing market where it is common for multiple offers—all overbids, usually non-contingent—within the first week or two on the MLS, I don't see why I need to accommodate all possible buyers in order to get the best price.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:20 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,720,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
you have a horse in this race and I don't.

Then why you spend so much time at this track?

Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Then why you spend so much time at this track?

I wish I had said that....

Old 06-01-2018, 04:15 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,299,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
There is a good reason to find a new realtor.

I am the realtor's client. If I want to bring a friend, or Dr. Kivorkian for that matter, I'll bring them. If the realtor says I can't I'm gone and complain to their agency. How childish can you get?
I don't know. You seem to have set a new benchmark for the rest of us.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:40 AM

2,088 posts, read 969,933 times
The Realtor referenced in the OP "preferred no friends," not "no children." I doubt s/he would have balked if the buyer had brought obvious family members.

Without specifics from this particular agent, it's mere speculation as to the motives of this preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or