Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:12 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
No.
I'd find a new realtor.
This. It's not uncommon for folks to bring a friend/relative along. Ask the agent why she has that philosophy.

In my experience friends and peers are fine. Parents get in the way because the child won't express their own opinions or their opinions are over-ridden by the parent. Often time the parents offer bad advice also. Not always, but often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
I welcome and encourage people to bring friends/family members along for the most part. (agreed that the stereotypical helicopter parent can make things more difficult; but not to the point where I feel it would be appropriate for me to ask them to not come along to showings)

This is especially if it is a single female. I'd be pretty upset with my sister if she went to meet a real estate agent to tour an empty house and didn't have someone go with her.

If you haven't signed an agency agreement; find a new agent!

If you feel compelled to keep working with this agent; tell them that you'll be bringing a companion with you to showings and if she doesn't like that; you can mutually agree to terminate the agency.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Realtor neurosis and narcissism on full display.
If there is another person present it could detract from the performance and being the center of attention . Can’t have that!

Old 06-01-2018, 08:51 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
e. Parents get in the way because the child won't express their own opinions or their opinions are over-ridden by the parent. Often time the parents offer bad advice also. Not always, but often.
Perhaps your parents wanted you to fail and offered you bad advice and you are reflection your upbringing on others. I don't know of any parents that offer their kids bad advice intentionally.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
This bothers me. I'm with everyone that says this agent is in the wrong.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Perhaps your parents wanted you to fail and offered you bad advice and you are reflection your upbringing on others. I don't know of any parents that offer their kids bad advice intentionally.
My parents don't enter into the equation as I'm referring to advice I hear parents giving advice to their kids while house hunting. The key word in your post is "intentionally". I can't recall a single time I've heard a parent intentionally try to mislead their children while house hunting. It's often incorrect information or bad advice given with the best of intentions. Not always, but all too often I'm afraid.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
My parents don't enter into the equation as I'm referring to advice I hear parents giving advice to their kids while house hunting. The key word in your post is "intentionally". I can't recall a single time I've heard a parent intentionally try to mislead their children while house hunting. It's often incorrect information or bad advice given with the best of intentions. Not always, but all too often I'm afraid.
As far as including parents I would rather they did it to begin with rather than pick out the house and then bring parents for a second look. I've seen more than once a parent talk their kid out of the decision. I'd rather them do this with the first showing. Regardless what you are I may think if it is the clients choice to include them why not do it to begin with? I've also had a house purchase where the mom didn't like it and the kids bought it anyway. They're adults and they made the decision. The mom didn't like me because they bought this house. Nothing bad wrong with the house either. That was just weird.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Of course I would. However, there is no need for serious buyers to bring children (other than very young babes-in-arms who cannot walk) along to view a house if one is a serious buyer.

Over the years I've seen (and heard about) children who leave the room where their parents are talking with the agent or measuring something and the kids do things such as opening and closing drawers, jumping on mattresses, messing with electronics, getting into makeup, looking for cookies and candy in pantries, etc.
This is an agent problem. I have people bring kids all the time. In 15 years, I've had problems twice. I stepped in twice. The parents didn't appreciate me stepping in to stop their children's behavior and we agreed to part ways. Most of my clients have kids and it really isn't an issue to bring them along.

We discuss the kids, their ages and we break up home searches based on that. I have a whole system for parents that have to bring kids with them for keeping things smooth. If the agent is proactive it isn't a problem. Really.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Maybe?
We had not even began the showing. We met her at the house and that was the first thing she said after being introduced. I just said I was her Aunt not a friend and kept it moving.
Excellent response!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
When your agent said "I prefer you didnt bring friends along" my reply would have been "well, I prefer that I do bring friends along, and if thats a problem for you, Ill get a different agent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate