U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 AM

8,844 posts, read 17,440,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
As far as including parents I would rather they did it to begin with rather than pick out the house and then bring parents for a second look. I've seen more than once a parent talk their kid out of the decision. I'd rather them do this with the first showing. Regardless what you are I may think if it is the clients choice to include them why not do it to begin with? I've also had a house purchase where the mom didn't like it and the kids bought it anyway. They're adults and they made the decision. The mom didn't like me because they bought this house. Nothing bad wrong with the house either. That was just weird.
You're so right. It's a far worse scenario that you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 AM

7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Quite frankly I have no idea what you are talking about or what point you are trying to make but I will say this.....

one would be inclined to call you a hypocrite because you have a horse in this race and I don't.
you said the reasoning I felt that way was to make some "sales goal", which is patently untrue as Realtors don't even have sales goals.

I don't have a horse in this race either since I don't represent the OP. Perhaps you'd even learn the meaning of hypocrite/hypocrisy before you toss it around:

the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform;

I also noted that I've never suggested friends or family shouldn't come.

I certainly have encountered situations where - but not all of them - where well-meaning parents cause an issue that makes their child's transaction more difficult. It's explaining a potential pitfall for the situation.

as several other agents with lots of experience have also stated.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM

3,699 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I don't know. You seem to have set a new benchmark for the rest of us.
Thanks so much. It's what leadership is all about!

Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
A friend and I were both interested in buying houses about the same time. Her budget was about $20,000 more than mine. I was able to go with her to view houses, and learned a lot about what to look for, and see what her budget could buy. I liked her agent so much that I hired her a few months later to look for my own house. Win win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Do I have concerns when young buyers bring their parent, who will lament the price of homes in a place they've never bought a home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No your concerns seem to be about you not making your sales goal, the parents are trying to guide their child to make the right choices to exceed their goals.
No, BoBromhal is right; parents who aren't familiar with the local market can sometimes be an obstacle. Housing prices in the market I lived in were quite a bit higher than where my parents lived; it was hard for my parents to understand that a house just like theirs, in a neighborhood just like theirs, was out of my reach. They couldn't believe the "old, tiny houses" I was looking at could "cost so much". My agent and I had to do a lot of educating as we looked at the three houses I'd narrowed my search to. Once the educating was over, it was smooth sailing and my parents could give advice based on the house itself, and not on whatever fantasy house they saw me living in.

The input of my parents was invaluable and I wouldn't have made my final decision without their help.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,239,339 times
Never heard of such a thing.

When i went house-hunting out-of-state, it was myself and a friend of mine at the time.

If i was told i couldnt bring her, i would have found another realtor for sure.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
Odd. I'm the one "hiring" the realtor. I will bring along a friend if I want to. If they don't like it, that's fine; I'll just find someone else.

We've purchased three houses. For our first house, we went to the showing and asked if we could bring my inlaws back to see the house later or the next day. The realtor said no problem, so we went and got them and met back at the house an hour later. Put in a bid that day! If he had said no? I would likely have shrugged and found a new agent. It was our first house, we were in our early 20s, and we needed the opinion of people who had some experience!

We didn't bring anyone along on our second and third houses (except for our children... they were 4 and 2 when we bought house #2 and I think I only brought my then-11-year-old daughter when we were househunting for #3). Our agent for the last house was actually really helpful and pointed out some things that we didn't notice, even though we'd already purchased two homes prior. He was an older guy in his late 60s, I'd guess, and we were in our late 30s, so he was kind of fatherly and talked us out of two houses we were considering and into the house we bought (which really was the best choice!).

Old 06-01-2018, 09:27 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my niece is in the market for a house and invited me to go with her to a few showings. Well the agent got there and said "I really prefer if you didn't bring friends along". WHAT!! Did I break a protocol. some one else I know got the same line.

What's the reasoning behind it. I always brought a good friend with me (lol, I've only purchased 2 houses in my life) when looking.

I'm going to be in the market for a beach house and I darn sure will be bringing a friend or one of my kids with me.

Is there a good reason for this?
Don't know; don't care. You can bring anyone you want.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Of course I would. However, there is no need for serious buyers to bring children (other than very young babes-in-arms who cannot walk) along to view a house if one is a serious buyer.
Right. Because the children will be away at boarding school. Even during the summer.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:50 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A friend and I were both interested in buying houses about the same time. Her budget was about $20,000 more than mine. I was able to go with her to view houses, and learned a lot about what to look for, and see what her budget could buy. I liked her agent so much that I hired her a few months later to look for my own house. Win win win.

No, BoBromhal is right; parents who aren't familiar with the local market can sometimes be an obstacle. Housing prices in the market I lived in were quite a bit higher than where my parents lived; it was hard for my parents to understand that a house just like theirs, in a neighborhood just like theirs, was out of my reach. They couldn't believe the "old, tiny houses" I was looking at could "cost so much". My agent and I had to do a lot of educating as we looked at the three houses I'd narrowed my search to. Once the educating was over, it was smooth sailing and my parents could give advice based on the house itself, and not on whatever fantasy house they saw me living in.

The input of my parents was invaluable and I wouldn't have made my final decision without their help.

My dad paid $11,000 for his last house.

We paid $190,000 16 years ago for our current house.

The old boy would have had a stroke...

Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my niece is in the market for a house and invited me to go with her to a few showings. Well the agent got there and said "I really prefer if you didn't bring friends along". WHAT!! Did I break a protocol. some one else I know got the same line.

What's the reasoning behind it. I always brought a good friend with me (lol, I've only purchased 2 houses in my life) when looking.

I'm going to be in the market for a beach house and I darn sure will be bringing a friend or one of my kids with me.

Is there a good reason for this?
BS...She needs to fire this agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or