U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM

31 posts, read 9,790 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been interested in a rural property, we offered slightly more than the asking price, along with the binder. We then had the home inspection, it was good for the most part, The HVAC is 17 years old, and it works, but the inspector said it's going to require replacement in the future. We asked our agent if the seller would replace, (we didn't think the seller would) or at least perform a maintenance and performance service (The inspector said it was needed). As we expected the seller wouldn't replace, and we understand, but we were told they won't pay for the maintenance service either. While I was there noticed myself the power pole was loose in ground, causing it to lean, making the power lines to sag, the guy wire that suppose to hold it vertical was not attached, I could grab it, and move the pole. We have asked for a new pole, or at least make right the existing one. Our agent says the county is suppose to fix the sagging lines, but the sag is caused by the pole. If this fails, we are thinking of asking if the seller would be willing to come down a little on the asking price. The sellers have lived there about 2 years. What do you think? We appreciate your thoughts, and thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 PM

39,330 posts, read 37,940,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson24 View Post
My wife and I have been interested in a rural property, we offered slightly more than the asking price, along with the binder. We then had the home inspection, it was good for the most part, The HVAC is 17 years old, and it works, but the inspector said it's going to require replacement in the future. We asked our agent if the seller would replace, (we didn't think the seller would) or at least perform a maintenance and performance service (The inspector said it was needed). As we expected the seller wouldn't replace, and we understand, but we were told they won't pay for the maintenance service either. While I was there noticed myself the power pole was loose in ground, causing it to lean, making the power lines to sag, the guy wire that suppose to hold it vertical was not attached, I could grab it, and move the pole. We have asked for a new pole, or at least make right the existing one. Our agent says the county is suppose to fix the sagging lines, but the sag is caused by the pole. If this fails, we are thinking of asking if the seller would be willing to come down a little on the asking price. The sellers have lived there about 2 years. What do you think? We appreciate your thoughts, and thanks for listening.
What kind of "power pole" are you talking about? That seems like it falls under the utility company's responsibility.

As for the HVAC, you are buying a used property, and that involves risk. You cna have your inspector check that it is in working order, and leave it at that. I would not ask for a price reduction. They most likely have priced it for its current condition.

We had an HVAC unit last 7 years longer than it was "supposed" to. Just get it inspected so you know what you're dealing with and start saving up.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM

2,396 posts, read 4,885,054 times
I have never seen a power pole maintained by the property owner. As noted, likely the utility responsibility.

You asked for a not very expensive service and were refused. Seller did not offer a price concession either. Seems to me you take the current deal or walk.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:07 PM

31,262 posts, read 57,461,137 times
Quote:
The HVAC is 17 years old, and it works, but the inspector said it's going to require replacement in the future.
Everything in that house is going to require replacement in the future. If the unit is working, that's all the sellers are required to provide.

I'm surprised the owners wouldn't have a maintenance check done on it, though. But you can always do that yourself; it's not expensive.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 2,083,068 times
Power pole seems like a utility company thing... or.... Fix it yourself by attaching the guy wire. I wouldn't complicate the transaction with it... they've already turned down a $100 maintenance check.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 9,790 times
The power pole I'm talking about would have a meter on it and on the property near the home, not the utility pole on the road maintained by the electric company, this is rural property. Diana Holbrook: The power pole is LEANING and it's LOOSE in the ground, causing the lines to sag, I fear the next hurricane will knock it down, been trying find out what it would cost for a new one to be installed or what it would take to right it vertical again. Birdie Bell: I'll have to hire a a/c tech to check it, home inspectors don't check HVAC units. We thought there was no harm in asking. Thanks

Last edited by lawson24; 05-31-2018 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 PM

3,630 posts, read 6,792,464 times
Wouldn’t everything up to the meter be the electric company’s responsibility? I could call them and ascertain exactly whose responsibility the pole is.

Be cautious asking for a lot of nickel and dime repairs. Seller might decide you are too much trouble to mess with. I would never have asked a seller to replace any appliance that was currently in working order. And if I was tge seller, I’d be mighty ticked off.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 PM

1,964 posts, read 3,321,880 times
Quote:
I'll have to hire a a/c tech to check it, home inspectors don't check HVAC units.
Some do. Or at least they will turn it on to be certain it is operational, and then measure the temperature difference between return air and supply air to verify it is producing adequate cooling. Delta-T should be 20 degrees, maybe more, with a discharge temp of 55 degrees F.

Our home A/C is 20 years old this summer. I had it inspected and serviced two years ago just as a precautionary measure and the Tech found nothing wrong. I insisted they replace the contactor with their inspection. They confirmed the contacts were slightly pitted but not yet bad enough to be a problem. Regardless, they replaced it anyway as those were my instructions to them.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:39 PM

992 posts, read 433,022 times
I bought a 14-year-old house with the original builder grade HVAC. My inspector advised me to budget to replace it. I bought for below asking price. The HVAC, among other things, were factored into my offer. My inspector checked that the HVAC was working, its age and also pulled the filters to see if they were dirty (they were). In the house I was selling, I presume the inspector checked the HVAC since I found the thermostat was set very low to cause the AC to come on after the inspection. (If he checked the filters, he would have found them clean). The HVAC in the house I bought died 8 months after closing, but I was prepared for it.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 PM

39,330 posts, read 37,940,573 times
Quote:
The power pole I'm talking about would have a meter on it and on the property near the home, not the utility pole on the road maintained by the electric company, this is rural property.
"Rural property" doesn't have anything to do with it. Did the utility install the meter on that pole?

Quote:
Birdie Bell: I'll have to hire a a/c tech to check it, home inspectors don't check HVAC units.
That's not true in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Some do. Or at least they will turn it on to be certain it is operational, and then measure the temperature difference between return air and supply air to verify it is producing adequate cooling. Delta-T should be 20 degrees, maybe more, with a discharge temp of 55 degrees F.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or