U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,092,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Hub & I have purchased several homes in various states. We're currently living in Utah, but hope to move to TN when hub retires in another year or two. So whenever I'm visiting my son in TN, I usually look at houses while I'm there. I'm just using the same realtor my son used when he bought a house there a couple years ago.

This realtor is the first I've encountered that has us drive separately, following her from house to house. The last time, I did actually tell her I would prefer to ride with her, so that she could tell me about the areas we were driving through. She said ok, but I thought it was odd that I had to ask.

What's typical in your area?
Maybe it's because it's a year or 2 - she doesn't see you as a serious buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:02 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,077,308 times
I've purchased three homes in two different states and I have never ridden in an agent's car. My husband and I always follow behind.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:46 AM

7,139 posts, read 2,228,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I've never ridden with an agent even when we were using my wife's aunt. I'd rather be able to go off to whatever else I was doing that day right after then wait for them to take me back to my car/home. An agent depending on a commission to put food on the table is the last person I'd be asking to get info on an area. I'd bet it is a generational thing more than an area thing though; I'm 33 and have never been interested in the practice but my dad who is now 60 had his agent drive him around about 10 years back when he bought his last home.

In the dozen or so houses I've carefully inspected and considered for purchase, I was never transported to them by an agent. But the last time I bought a house, I had a peach of a buyer's agent, who did plenty, for the meager fee she collected.

Many would-be buyers and agents, often have several different destinations on their schedules and it would be ineffective for them to be tied to each other, in the same vehicle.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:26 AM
gg

17,007 posts, read 17,219,166 times
Odd to hear. In Pittsburgh the agent usually has clients in the car. I always had them in my car during my 20 years in real estate. Just seems odd to take two cars, but I guess we are a little more green here in da Burgh.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:47 AM

3,211 posts, read 1,862,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Odd to hear. In Pittsburgh the agent usually has clients in the car. I always had them in my car during my 20 years in real estate. Just seems odd to take two cars, but I guess we are a little more green here in da Burgh.
Green or not, I get carsick so no.

I did ride with my original realtor (late 80s) and she wasn't a good driver. Hard to be objective about a house when you're trying to decide where you should hurl if it comes to that.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:38 AM

550 posts, read 805,116 times
Well in my own town I can't figure out the best way to get to a second store from the main mall until I go home. If I had to follow an agent in a strange town-especially one like DC or Tucson we would part ways very soon.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:13 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,063,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Maybe it's because it's a year or 2 - she doesn't see you as a serious buyer.
No, she knows we're ready to buy whenever we find the right retirement house, even though we won't move there right away.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:21 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,063,113 times
Maybe the reason our realtors always had us ride with them is because we're always in from out of town, and (with the exception of our current search for a retirement home) we are on a company-paid house hunting trip. We look at 8-10 houses a day for 4-5 days, and the realtor knows we pretty much have to pick one to make an offer before we fly back home. During our time there, we pretty much have the realtor's undivided attention.

If I was just casually looking at a house or two, then yeah, I can see that driving separately could be more efficient, especially for the realtor.

I think this explains my bewilderment. Thanks folks!

Old 06-02-2018, 12:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,646,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm glad to have clients in my car.
I'm glad to have them follow.
I'm glad to have clients.

We can be more productive when they are in my car with conversation, comparing houses. And! We can all get lost together and only have one vehicle needing to do U-Turns!

When they follow, and fall back, and don't make the green lights, I sure hope they have GPS. Most do.
If they are going to follow, I just hope they don't have some superstition that they have to be 300 feet behind me....
And, more and more, we can just agree to meet at a house a few miles away with GPS.
But, this weekend, chasing new construction, we had several addresses on new streets which neither GPS could locate.
Love it! Echoes my thoughts and experience exactly!

Old 06-02-2018, 03:24 PM

821 posts, read 487,332 times
We've experienced both options. I like to ride in that agent's big leased Caddy or Lincoln if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or